Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #5021
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
You roll 3 lines all the same during 5v5 play. Players get their extra minutes during Power Play/Penalty Kill.
No team does that, and with line matching (presumably Backlund) you can't.

You play 3 lines the same you keep your best players off the ice for maybe 5 extra minutes per game.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #5022
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That's kind of nutty. I much prefer:

Hall · Backlund · Tkachuk
Gaudreau · Lindholm · Laine
Mangiapane · Bennett · Dube

I love Backlund, absolutely love him, but this team isn't going anywhere with him as our #!C. I think if we are to be a contender we need Monahan as our #2C, where he would be considered an elite #2C and Backlund as our #3C, where, again, he would be an elite #3.

Now, how do we achieve that? We get an elite #1C. How do we do that? I have no idea, but I feel we can either draft one which is definitely impossible at 19 or we can trade for one which is only slightly less possible. Gaudreau + seems like our only hope to me. I like Johnny just fine, but I don't see any other way.
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #5023
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
I love Backlund, absolutely love him, but this team isn't going anywhere with him as our #!C...
Well, yeah. But that wasn't really the question posed to which I was responding. The question was rather restricted to what the Flames lineup would look like in the event of a Monahan for Laine swap.

On a related note, Backlund would probably be the best #3 centre in the entire league, given that he is already an above-average #2 centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #5024
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
If Cheveldayoff walked up to Treliving and offered Laine for Monahan would you guys do it?

Note that this isn't a rumor, just a random thought I had and wondered how CP felt about it.

We can try and offer sheet/trade for Cirelli to grab a top 6 center again. Laine could be pretty deadly with Gaudreau.
Yes.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #5025
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Laine/Monahan trade went down, I don't see any problem sitting down with Lindholm and asking him to play as a top 6 C for a year to see how it goes. If the experiment doesn't work, then Calgary would need to find a way to acquire a C for 2021/2022. It would be interesting if he improved as a player as a full time C.

You can go that route or try figuring out how to acquire Domi at a reasonable price and roll with Tkachuk - Domi/Lindholm - Domi/Lindholm, with Domi and Lindholm sharing draws on their strong side. Then roll with Gaudreau - Backlund - Laine as the 1B line.

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 09-08-2020 at 02:38 PM. Reason: EDIT: Could even switch Domi with Bennett and we wouldn't have to trade for Domi at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #5026
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No team does that, and with line matching (presumably Backlund) you can't.

You play 3 lines the same you keep your best players off the ice for maybe 5 extra minutes per game.
Point: 15:34
Kucherov: 15:18
Cirelli: 14:41
Stamkos: 14:37
Palat: 14:02
Killorn: 13:07
Johnson: 12:29
Gourde: 11:21
Pacquette: 11:07
Maroon: 10:52
Joseph: 9:39
Verhaeghe: 9:05

Vs.

Gaudreau: 15:52
Tkachuk: 15:28
Monahan: 15:12
Backlund: 14:56
Lindholm: 14:47
Mangiapane: 13:10
Ryan: 12:08
Dube: 11:58
Lucic: 11:47
Bennett: 11:42
Rieder: 9:26
Jankowski: 8:56

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, Backlund, Lindholm should all lose 30 seconds as it stands.

Take 30-60 seconds off Monahan's total and put Dube in his spot. Take Jankowski's 8:56 a night and give it to Lucic. Then take Lucic's 11:47 and add 30 seconds, and give it to Laine. Take Ryan's 12:08 and add 60 seconds and give it to Hall.

No team does it because no one runs three lines that have that much fire power - but the model is Tampa Bay. We're playing our top players too much if you compare them to Tampa's, and that's because Tampa's depth is so good. That's where we need to get to.

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-08-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #5027
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What do people think of Simmonds? Rough couple years for sure, but I think he could be a sneaky good add for a playoff team if you can get him on a relatively cheap 1 year deal.

In Lebrun's latest article Simmonds mentions that he's finally 100% healthy for the first time in two years and has had a great off-season. He also guarantees that whoever signs him will get more than they are paying for. Just turned 32 in August so getting up there, but not necessarily over the hill. Could be a surprise bounce back candidate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #5028
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
What do people think of Simmonds? Rough couple years for sure, but I think he could be a sneaky good add for a playoff team if you can get him on a relatively cheap 1 year deal.

In Lebrun's latest article Simmonds mentions that he's finally 100% healthy for the first time in two years and has had a great off-season. He also guarantees that whoever signs him will get more than they are paying for. Just turned 32 in August so getting up there, but not necessarily over the hill. Could be a surprise bounce back candidate.
Two seasons as a sub-30 point player that is not good on the defensive end of the ice.

Seems like a trainwreck to me!
Old 09-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #5029
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

He’s a great bottom 6 add if his price tag is low. Which I imagine it would be.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:05 PM   #5030
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wasn't for acquiring him, but I am for signing him to a cheap deal.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #5031
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't for acquiring him, but I am for signing him to a cheap deal.
I agree. As long as it is cheap and he isn’t taking a younger, better players spot that could use 4th line minutes with the big club to develop.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #5032
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I agree. As long as it is cheap and he isn’t taking a younger, better players spot that could use 4th line minutes with the big club to develop.
Even if it's a 4th line role Ryan would whip him up into shape. Plus, Simmonds would be a great PP2 (or even PP1) option by screening the goalie.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #5033
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot even describe how against a Simmonds signing I would be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #5034
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. If the Flames sign Simmonds that will be one hell of a thread to read.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #5035
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the Laine/Monahan trade went down, I don't see any problem sitting down with Lindholm and asking him to play as a top 6 C for a year to see how it goes. If the experiment doesn't work, then Calgary would need to find a way to acquire a C for 2021/2022. It would be interesting if he improved as a player as a full time C.

You can go that route or try figuring out how to acquire Domi at a reasonable price and roll with Tkachuk - Domi/Lindholm - Domi/Lindholm, with Domi and Lindholm sharing draws on their strong side. Then roll with Gaudreau - Backlund - Laine as the 1B line.

I know it was just a fan on here spitballing but that Mony for Laine trade does make sense on a lot of levels.

Jets need a centreman and they get a good second line centre with size with greater control too, that's a big thing for a team like Winnipeg which has trouble attracting and keeping free agents. A 1/2 punch of Scheifle and Monahan is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Flames need a top 6 RW. Move Lindholm to centre, I think he's the best centreman this team has anyways. Have him centre Gaudreau and Laine. Can you imagine Johnny setting Laine up. The one thing Laine has that Monahan doesn't is that he can shoot it from anywhere. Monahan is really only dangerous in the high slot. Laine can one time it from anywhere in the offensive zone. He would give Gaudreau a tremendous target to work with.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Laine
Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk

I think Lindholm at centre is better than Monahan at centre. That's two Selke quality centremen in your top 6.

If you sign Hall too, look out, put him with Backlund and Tkachuk and push Mangiapane to the bottom 6.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #5036
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we didn't have Lucic on the roster then I'd be okay with Simmonds on a 1 year $1m signing to provide some size and grit.

But with our current roster composition I'm not sure I'd want to add a slow forward, that's on the decline.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #5037
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Good time as any to remind you all that the Flames have tried to acquire Simmonds. Twice.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #5038
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Good time as any to remind you all that the Flames have tried to acquire Simmonds. Twice.
I believe both times were before Lucic was on this roster though.

And also when Simmonds was younger.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #5039
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

More dates of interest from an article on Lundqvist’s future with the Rangers:

Quote:
The Rangers must buy him out and they know it. They must do the deed between when the buyout window opens Sept. 25 and closes Oct. 8 (or six days after the Stanley Cup final if that is the later date).
So,

NHL Draft: October 6th and 7th
NHL Free Agency: October 9th
NHL Buyout Window: September 25th - October 8th

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-08-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #5040
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see a bottom feeder signing him in hopes that he is productive enough to trade to a team at the deadline.
Closed Thread