Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #5001
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I wouldn't move a single player from the top 9 or any of the 6D before trying a new head coach.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #5002
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I said it after game one of the season, and I'll say it again. I'd be moving Brodie. He is an intriguing blend of skill and speed, but he makes way too many mistakes that end up in the back of the net. His decision making is just flat out bad, and changing partners or sides of the ice is not going to cure that. I'd move him for a forward and then use the depth we have the minors to back fill. Andersson and Kylington sound like they are ready to make the jump, especially Andersson. Make a hole for him, and plug a hole up front.

Brodie, Brouwer, Shinkaruk/Poirier/Klimchuk for Sam Reinhart and Moulson

or

Brodie & Shinkaruk/Poirier/Klimchuk for William Nylander

or (going long term)

Brodie & Shinkaruk/Poirier/Klimchuk for Alex Nylander & Cliff Pu

I really believe that you move Brodie to fortify the huge gap on the RW in the organization. It will improve the team immediately, and down the line.
I don’t agree Brodie is the guy to move especially not for a potential bust pick and horrible contract.

After our 34 year old captain our best left shot D is Kulak who by all accounts is a good bottom pair NHLer I am not sure he is a top 4 guy. If Valimaki can step in next year Brodie is very valuable.

I also worry we flip him when his value takes a hit and the team acquiring him puts him on the right side and he goes back to being the 2013-2016 Brodie who was a top pairing Dman
Old 12-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #5003
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems obvious that Brodie went from a top pairing guy to a mediocre second pairing guy as soon as he was switched sides. He should be hitting his prime right now and we're blowing it just because of a stupid Babcock interview.

That being said I haven't watched the last 3 games and refuse to tune in until GG is gone.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #5004
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
He should be hitting his prime right now and we're blowing it just because of a stupid Babcock interview.
I'm out of the loop as to what this is referring to.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #5005
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
It seems obvious that Brodie went from a top pairing guy to a mediocre second pairing guy as soon as he was switched sides. He should be hitting his prime right now and we're blowing it just because of a stupid Babcock interview.

That being said I haven't watched the last 3 games and refuse to tune in until GG is gone.
I’d dont really get the sense that GG will be fired any time soon. You may be missing out on a lot of hockey if you keep that up
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #5006
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

HNIC

Pitt could make a huge move and Letang is the name in the rumor mill
Old 12-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #5007
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

Kypreos: Pens looking to make a big splash. Hearing Kris Letang is in play. ($7.25 mil cap hit for 4 more years)
Friedman: If Letang is traded Rutherford will want 2 forwards back. A winger and center - impact players.

No contract talks between Tavares and Isles nor any planned in the foreseeable future, even with the arena news.
Feeling is that he may wait until July 1st to see what is out there.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-23-2017 at 07:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #5008
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
I’d dont really get the sense that GG will be fired any time soon. You may be missing out on a lot of hockey if you keep that up
A lot of boring hockey.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #5009
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
I haven't watched since they lost to the Oilers. I'm also waiting for Gulutzan to be fired.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #5010
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Dan Milstein-Hockey@HockeyAgent1
Alexander Burmistrov of Vancouver Canucks has retired from the NHL. Announcement on future will follow in the coming days.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #5011
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow!

I'm not sure what surprises me more,

his retirement; or

that you beat Sureloss and Misteeks.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #5012
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Dan Milstein-Hockey@HockeyAgent1
Alexander Burmistrov of Vancouver Canucks has retired from the NHL. Announcement on future will follow in the coming days.
He’s going to the KHL. He’s pissed at his playing time and usage. Asked to be released from his contract.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #5013
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Wow!

I'm not sure what surprises me more,

his retirement; or

that you beat Sureloss and Misteeks.
Well, it was posted in the Vancouver is no good thread a couple hours ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #5014
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeff Paterson‏Verified account
@patersonjeff
Follow Follow @patersonjeff
More

writing on the wall for Burmistrov: with all the injuries, #Canucks brought in Dowd. Played 42 for just 5 mins the other night. Scratched him for a 7th D.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #5015
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I don't recall the Flames ever asking Lanny McDonald to play left wing.

Or Gary Robert's to play right wing

Or Jarome to line up on the left side.

Or suter
Or regehr

Some players are capable of swapping and do well.

Brodie is serviceable as a left side blueliner,. But I had to note his outstanding tape to tape pass that lead to the first goal came while he was on the right side of the ice.
Iginla played LW when asked. The Pens did it, although maybe not successfully. But it's way different for forwards. Gary Suter and Regher played left side and shot left IIRC so I'm not sure about your point.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #5016
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Iginla played LW when asked. The Pens did it, although maybe not successfully. But it's way different for forwards. Gary Suter and Regher played left side and shot left IIRC so I'm not sure about your point.
Pretty certain Iginla has never played LW, he may have lined up on the left side due to an icing but has never played “LW”.

As for Brodie, it is vital for a Dman to be able to play his natural side. The fact that Brodie hasn’t been that good on his natural side doesn’t give a ton of confidence to the team.

Gio covered up a ton of Gaff’s for Brodie as well and allowed Brodie to be more of a Rover Dman. The Flames don’t need a Rover Dman. They need a Dman to play his damn position and be very effective at it, which Brodie has not been.

Second goal against Montreal was all Brodie. Caught flat footed too far out from the front of the net and as players came in to the slot Brodie goes to tie up a guy already covered by Hathaway and allows his man to skate to the far side of the net for the easy goal. Left or Ride side, it doesn’t matter. Brodie is not very good in his own end. I hear a lot about him being good or making a great play but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Brodie will make a good play from time to time but is making 10 bad plays in between.

He does not read the offence well enough to be a Rover.

Trade him while people still think he’s good. I think he has tons of holes in his game. Being on the right side isn’t going to fix that but playing with gio May mask his poor play.

Lastly, if this was so obvious and necessary to be back on Gio’s right side, don’t you think the team captain would have had a convo with the coach and it would been tried? The fact it hasn’t since the change says everything. Only certain fans think it will work..

Last edited by IgiTang; 12-24-2017 at 03:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #5017
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Lastly, if this was so obvious and necessary to be back on Gio’s right side, don’t you think the team captain would have had a convo with the coach and it would been tried? The fact it hasn’t since the change says everything. Only certain fans think it will work..
Gulutzen got this head coaching job selling a hockey system to Brad Treliving that included the importance of playing defensemen on their shooting side. What makes you think Mark Giordano could override that as Captain?
Old 12-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #5018
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Pretty certain Iginla has never played LW, he may have lined up on the left side due to an icing but has never played “LW”.

As for Brodie, it is vital for a Dman to be able to play his natural side. The fact that Brodie hasn’t been that good on his natural side doesn’t give a ton of confidence to the team.

Gio covered up a ton of Gaff’s for Brodie as well and allowed Brodie to be more of a Rover Dman. The Flames don’t need a Rover Dman. They need a Dman to play his damn position and be very effective at it, which Brodie has not been.

Second goal against Montreal was all Brodie. Caught flat footed too far out from the front of the net and as players came in to the slot Brodie goes to tie up a guy already covered by Hathaway and allows his man to skate to the far side of the net for the easy goal. Left or Ride side, it doesn’t matter. Brodie is not very good in his own end. I hear a lot about him being good or making a great play but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Brodie will make a good play from time to time but is making 10 bad plays in between.

He does not read the offence well enough to be a Rover.

Trade him while people still think he’s good. I think he has tons of holes in his game. Being on the right side isn’t going to fix that but playing with gio May mask his poor play.

I agree with everything you said, except that iginla played LW when he went to Pittsburgh.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #5019
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
I'm out of the loop as to what this is referring to.
Someone posted the vid but I couldn't find it. I'll just use this quote instead
Referring to Dmen playing opposite side to how they shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
All good questions that I don’t know the answers to. I just remember at the last olympics Babcock had it written in stone that he only wanted left and right handed pairings, and nothing else. Prior to that I don’t remember it ever being an issue in hockey.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #5020
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree with everything you said, except that iginla played LW when he went to Pittsburgh.
I must have missed that. But TBQH I didn’t watch a ton of games of him in Pitts, was still too heart broken. Lol. The games I did eventually watch, he was a RW but I will concede and admit that I’m not entirely certain he never played LW.

Last edited by IgiTang; 12-24-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Closed Thread