Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #5001
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
You're right. The show isn't ruining the show. The deconstruction of it is.

Rather than playing the part of the immersed audience in the observing role which is typically most enjoyable, people are moseying around backstage and sticking their noses in things, defeating the entire purpose of watching a story unfold.
No, it’s the show.

It’s just better not to think about it. Like a parent in denial about their teenager’s drug use.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #5002
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

They just dropped the Watchmen trailer. That should be a pretty good replacement for GoT for HBO.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #5003
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also the parley was just bad writing. Why didn't Cersei kill Tyrion? "It's a parley, you can't kill him that's illegal!"

Yeah, Cersei who (somehow) was able to get Missandei and brought her to the meeting for the sole purpose of killing her gives a #### about parley code at this point. We're talking about the same Cersei who just betrayed them when she knew they were fighting a world-saving battle. The same Cersei who blew up a sept. Now she's even more unhinged and she didn't take the opportunity to do the one thing that has defined her for the last several seasons - killing Tyrion.

Can't even use the excuse that she still has some reservation about killing him due to family, we know she doesn't - because of the whole ####ty Bronn scene.

Shows written well don't get deconstructed, poorly written shows do. It's not on the fans, it's on the creators.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #5004
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
But you're choosing to blame the effect rather than the cause. As I said earlier there would be no complaints right now if the writing quality was of the standard of earlier seasons. Forgiving the decline because of other factors like lack of time pr budget is a cop out. They truly appear to have run out of ideas or a plan once the source material ended.

And as I keep saying, the show becoming stupider hasn't made it less entertaining, though I suspect that's because we know it's the end. If things were open ended right now I suspect the criticism would be far greater.
Oh man I said i wasn’t gonna get into this.

I think what happened is the writers realized too late that the books got too big too fast and weren’t about to start eliminating threads any time soon.

I think if they could do it again they’d have veered from the source material sooner. Characters like Euron and the Sand Snakes likely would have been excluded entirely.

As the books went on they introduced new characters and plot lines instead of closing existing ones. And the new storylines weren’t advancing the old storylines either, they were entirely new threads.

Actually that might be why I’m able to enjoy the show. It seems probable that D&D realized it would take more seasons to finish the show than was possible. This was probably around season 5. They’d committed to certain stories and only after realized they should have focused on moving forward the key stories, otherwise they’d end up needing 10 or more seasons. So they did the best they could to close the threads they’d already committed to. When you look at it that way they haven’t done a bad job.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #5005
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think if they could do it again they’d have veered from the source material sooner. Characters like Euron and the Sand Snakes likely would have been excluded entirely.
Sand Snakes (and the general Dorne storyline) I agree with for sure.

Euron though is harder to argue since they brought him in like half-way through season 6 after they were extinguishing loose threads. They were looking for someone to one-up Bolton like Bolton had done with Joffrey.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #5006
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I complained often that they are spending too much time on random storylines that had little to do with the overall progress of the show.

Turns out I was right.

Even 2 episodes more this season would make a big difference. How hard could that have been?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #5007
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So here's my Star Wars connection, the old Maester on the small council Pycelle

This dude

Was this dude

Spoiler!

oh and also this dude

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #5008
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope the Bran story line is done. That to me was the worst part of the series. It was boring and did any of it really matter? I don't think having that story line was integral at all.

Plus, no one wants to watch awkward looking kids go through puberty on a TV series. They should have killed him just for that.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-08-2019 at 11:29 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #5009
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm pretty sure every viewer with half a brain can recognize those things and have for a while. Less time, have to wrap up. Past the source material. Are D&D George R.R. Martins? No. Should we expect them to be, and write a script as meticulous as George does with his writing over the course of years? No.

The point is, why are we continuing to point out the obvious, and instead just get over it and enjoy the entertainment value that's clearly still there at least?

"Why is this character doing this thing"
The answer is probably: Because the show is ending in two episodes.

I honestly put more blame on HBO because they want to get away from this amazing story as quickly as possible to move into their multiple spinoffs that will likely be but a shadow of GOT, rather than giving this show the amount of episodes and screen time to grant it the ending it deserves.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #5010
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So here's my Star Wars connection, the old Maester on the small council Pycelle

This dude

Was this dude

Nice to be remembered as the most (maybe only) competent Imperial officer from the original trilogy.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #5011
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #5012
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Which episode in season 5 is at the bottom there?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #5013
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Which episode in season 5 is at the bottom there?
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken aka. the rape of Sansa Stark
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #5014
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm pretty sure every viewer with half a brain can recognize those things and have for a while. Less time, have to wrap up. Past the source material. Are D&D George R.R. Martins? No. Should we expect them to be, and write a script as meticulous as George does with his writing over the course of years? No.

The point is, why are we continuing to point out the obvious, and instead just get over it and enjoy the entertainment value that's clearly still there at least?

"Why is this character doing this thing"
The answer is probably: Because the show is ending in two episodes.

I honestly put more blame on HBO because they want to get away from this amazing story as quickly as possible to move into their multiple spinoffs that will likely be but a shadow of GOT, rather than giving this show the amount of episodes and screen time to grant it the ending it deserves.
They're still doing a lot of ridiculous stuff. They spent most of last episode focused on who was hooking up with who, instead of advancing the plot. Very odd.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #5015
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with the dip on ratings on S5:E6? I just read the synopsis (because I forgot about it) and is all the fuss over Sansa being raped by Ramsey? Seemed like a pretty powerful moment and a character defining event for Sansa and Theon. In retrospect it was a good writing decision, and it was true to the nature of the show being unforgiving to the characters. Sure, rape can be pretty upsetting, but how does it compare to all the other horrid things done in this show in the name of storytelling? Was it all that much worse than what Joffrey did to people off camera?

I don't get it honestly. The writing in general was a little worse than many other episodes in the series, but not glaringly so. It just seems like it's a taboo subject to display on screen (which they didn't even really do, but alluded to it more than anything). Even though we had consensual incest displayed several times, and I find that far more upsetting than something that commonly happened during times of war between soldiers and common folk.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #5016
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Do people just stop watching with 2 episodes remaining in the entire series?

I don't understand ratings.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #5017
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Surprising to see the Battle of Winterfell have such a drop, this was the most hyped episode of the series. Is it because of less repeat views? Or was Season 7 such a disappointment that Season 8 was doomed to a downward trajectory before it even started?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #5018
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

My god season 4 was just great.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #5019
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
What's with the dip on ratings on S5:E6? I just read the synopsis (because I forgot about it) and is all the fuss over Sansa being raped by Ramsey? Seemed like a pretty powerful moment and a character defining event for Sansa and Theon. In retrospect it was a good writing decision, and it was true to the nature of the show being unforgiving to the characters. Sure, rape can be pretty upsetting, but how does it compare to all the other horrid things done in this show in the name of storytelling? Was it all that much worse than what Joffrey did to people off camera?

I don't get it honestly. The writing in general was a little worse than many other episodes in the series, but not glaringly so. It just seems like it's a taboo subject to display on screen (which they didn't even really do, but alluded to it more than anything). Even though we had consensual incest displayed several times, and I find that far more upsetting than something that commonly happened during times of war between soldiers and common folk.

So you are saying that the bizarre attraction to a relative (surely something unrelatable to most), potential for a poor genetic outcome, is more upsetting than life-ruining, non-consensual violent forced violation of one person by another?

I’m not a fan of either incest or rape, just curious about the scale for what is upsetting.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #5020
YourMother
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That graph is showing what the average viewer rated the episode, rather than ratings in terms of number of people that watched it.
YourMother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YourMother For This Useful Post: