Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #481
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
There's more information behind that decision that that you're just not privy to, so maybe dial back the salt and let the people who are in charge of making those decisions make them
No thanks, never been much for an appeal to authority reply. Perhaps myself and other Calgarians should be privy to all that information.

How the heck was this vehicle needed once per day in Calgary?

Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #482
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish we could spend a few bucks on some bigger tires for it. Those just seem inadequate for running over barricades.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #483
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I wish we could spend a few bucks on some bigger tires for it. Those just seem inadequate for running over barricades.
They turned down the tire package, didn't want to spend frivolously.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #484
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
No thanks, never been much for an appeal to authority reply. Perhaps myself and other Calgarians should be privy to all that information.

I seem to recall reading that it was about 50/50 between planned operations (high risk warrants, drug raids etc..) and calls for service from within the department when an emergency call required it. The Tac Team went out to something like 800 calls last year, so they took the truck 60% of the time.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #485
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

This has to be the pinnacle of compensating for something vehicle.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #486
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It was always parked behind someone's squad car in the lot. At least a call a day to move the useless armoured vehicle.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #487
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

since aleks didn't want to answer, I'll try.

the article about the purchase stated
"serving as a secure and mobile base of operations, "

so maybe that's part of the justification. they wanted it for an on the spot tactical centre for high risk situations.

that being said, I have my doubts that this 28,000lb vehicle is actually needed 500 times a year. my opinion is that it's a fancy he-man toy used as often as possible to try and justify the operational expense.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #488
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post

Maybe you should focus your rage at the Fire department who continues to build 8-15 million dollar buildings to house 4-8 guys to play pickle ball and wash their cars for 12 hours instead of the guys out in the cars actually doing work all day.
Armoured car argument aside, this is an interesting and good point. Why doesn't the Fire Department ever get criticised? They waste JUST as much money yet people love them. Is it just because they don't have guns?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #489
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

turns out there is a lot of goodwill towards people who risk their lives to save your house from burning down vs a bunch of power tripping high school bullies trying to fulfil quotas
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #490
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Armoured car argument aside, this is an interesting and good point. Why doesn't the Fire Department ever get criticised? They waste JUST as much money yet people love them. Is it just because they don't have guns?
The fire department doesn't spend their time telling people to follow the rules and handing out punishments for not following them. That and they make topless calendars for soccer moms.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #491
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

You’d be surprised what doesn’t make the news in this city lol I know I sure was. It doesn’t surprise me at all anymore that a city of this size makes use of the armoured vehicle once a day.

shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #492
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Both can get your cat out of a tree, but the fire department uses a ladder, the cops use a gun. So if you prefer your cats alive...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #493
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
turns out there is a lot of goodwill towards people who risk their lives to save your house from burning down vs a bunch of power tripping high school bullies trying to fulfil quotas
Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
The fire department doesn't spend their time telling people to follow the rules and handing out punishments for not following them. That and they make topless calendars for soccer moms.
Exactly my point though, people that go after the police for spending money on something like this seemingly don't actually care about the money it's just another excuse to criticize the police.

I agree with the criticism, don't get me wrong, just noticed the hypocrisy of it
Old 07-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #494
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
You’d be surprised what doesn’t make the news in this city lol I know I sure was. It doesn’t surprise me at all anymore that a city of this size makes use of the armoured vehicle once a day.

Calgary has maintained it's 1.1 dispatched calls per service per minute for the last 3 years now. The highest I can remember it being is 1.6 dispatched calls/minute. There is SO MUCH that goes on in the city that folks aren't aware of.

Heck, Cst Mark Smith posted (via his FB) the first Stampede weekend. It was from midnight on July 5 to 1800hrs on July 8. There were 5727 dispatched calls in that time. Which is, amusingly, rounded to 1.1 disp calls/min.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #495
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rise of the SWAT team: Routine police work in Canada is now militarized

https://theconversation.com/rise-of-...itarized-90073

If SWAT team deployments were limited to only those situations requiring their equipment and skills, such as hostage-takings and terror threats, there would perhaps be less cause for concern. But similar to previous research conducted in the U.S., we have found this isn’t the reality of Canadian SWAT teams. Instead, routine policing represented the majority of SWAT team use.

Despite the overall decline in the Calgary tactical unit’s deployments by 2016, almost one third of them were for warrants, which remained steady at around 200-250 instances per year

SWAT teams regularly engage in routine policing, including responding to minor offences or even non-criminal incidents. The Calgary tactical unit deployed almost 300 times in response to various “dispatch codes” in 2007, as well as approximately 200 times each to “disturbances” and “suspicious” incidents.

Deployments in these three categories accounted for nearly 45 per cent of the unit’s total deployments during that year, and continued to represent as much as 30 per cent by 2016.

Deployments for other minor offences, including noise complaints, drug offences, property crimes, traffic violations and motor vehicle collisions represented almost one third of all deployments in 2007, and almost 15 per cent even at their lowest point in 2016.

yeah, I doubt the tactical team really needs that armoured vehicle 500 times a year.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #496
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the fire budget deserves criticisms, then by all means start a thread and critic it.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #497
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Not directly to the public, no. That’s not what I said. They have a responsibility with public money that is different than private companies. What part of this are you missing?
So are you assuming that the money is being spent irresponsibly in this instance? I’m not missing anything, I’m just trying to find your motive.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:33 PM   #498
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the fire budget deserves criticisms, then by all means start a thread and critic it.
I don't care that much, just noticed the immediate dismissal of what I thought was a fair point brought up by Aleks (even though it was just an attempt at deflection) it's something I've noticed over the years.

Crapping on the armoured car is fair criticism that I agree with though. At least people got over that dumb argument of 'scary' black and white cars

Quote:
They turned down the tire package, didn't want to spend frivolously.
Kept the fence posts as winch mounting points though

Last edited by btimbit; 07-09-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #499
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
So are you assuming that the money is being spent irresponsibly in this instance? I’m not missing anything, I’m just trying to find your motive.
I wasn’t assuming anything. You responded to me making a point that wasn’t related to my point. I replied to a comment that said “let the decision makers make those decisions”.

I said “you don’t get that luxury with public money”. Meaning, “you don’t get to be immune from scrutiny of spending of public money”.

I’m not talking about you and I reviewing the detailed information of how the decision was made. Or being part of those meetings. I was making a point about how their budget is publicly funded and what that means.

“Let them make the decisions that need to be made” isn’t an answer. In fact, it’s what led to this whole thread being created in the first place, with this bull#### law.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #500
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I don't care that much, just noticed the immediate dismissal of what I thought was a fair point brought up by Aleks (even though it was just an attempt at deflection) it's something I've noticed over the years.

Crapping on the armoured car is fair criticism that I agree with though. At least people got over that dumb argument of 'scary' black and white cars

Kept the fence posts as winch mounting points though
Yes I was commenting on the deflection of “but the fire dept!!!” Which is irrelevant (to this issue, not irrelevant as an issue). .

As a side note, if any building or business owners love the fire dept, they can consider themselves lucky they haven’t had to deal with them!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote