Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #481
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERVE View Post
I rather have a guy who is passionate about the game and loves to be part of the team by contributing than having a player displaying the polar oppostie. As long as he keeps scoring clutch goals to win games and being a young player of 18, does it really matter if situation sometimes get lost in translation in terms of his celebration(?)

It speaks volume about his character when Krueger has him out there during OT or an Oilers empty net situation-both times he came through and at the end of the day, a win is what counts the most.
Does it speak volumes about his character to be out on a PP in an OT regular season game, or does that really speak more to his ability / talent? I'd say the latter.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #482
VERVE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

According to former ref, Fraser concluded that last night altercation after the OT goal as this:

"I deem Derek Morris to be the instigator of an altercation that occurred simultaneously with the end of the game and as such deserves a one-game suspension for his actions under Rule 46.22. The $10,000 fine to coach Dave Tippett should waived in this particular case."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414917

—Richard Lewis

VERVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #483
VERVE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Does it speak volumes about his character to be out on a PP in an OT regular season game, or does that really speak more to his ability / talent? I'd say the latter.
I agree but character is factored into it.

—Richard Lewis

Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #484
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree but character is factored into it.
How so? I'm actually not seeing a huge link to needing character while on a 4 on 3 Powerplay in OT, when 1 point is up for grabs in the 2nd week of the season.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #485
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
I don't mind big celebrations in principle, but Yakupov does look like an absolute clown in that video.
He gets #### on for going from red line to his own slot, so his next big goal, he remains completely motionless. Kid can't win. I get that he's an Oiler and we don't like him on principle, but he's doing nothing wrong.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #486
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We watched 'character' get PP time all last year. I think we'd all rather have talent.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #487
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
He gets #### on for going from red line to his own slot, so his next big goal, he remains completely motionless. Kid can't win. I get that he's an Oiler and we don't like him on principle, but he's doing nothing wrong.
That's the thing, he didn't remain motionless. He was doing a taunting gesture with his hands. He was trying to stir the pot.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #488
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Yakupov is gonna get the hurt real bad if he continues to build up a reputation like this, deserved or not. Morris would have turned him into coleslaw.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #489
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We watched 'character' get PP time all last year. I think we'd all rather have talent.
I completely agree, wasn't implying otherwise.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #490
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

did Yakupov get stabbed with a skate blade.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #491
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I completely agree, wasn't implying otherwise.
My fault, misread.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #492
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

4 goals, 2 of them game winners. Ya I could deal with that on the Flames right now from an 18 year old.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #493
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
4 goals, 2 of them game winners. Ya I could deal with that on the Flames right now from an 18 year old.
He was pretty invisible when they played the Flames.
I know 2 of the goals were from the exact same spot left unattended by the D 3ft front from the blue paint to the right.
What about the other 2?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #494
VERVE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How so? I'm actually not seeing a huge link to needing character while on a 4 on 3 Powerplay in OT, when 1 point is up for grabs in the 2nd week of the season.
Anytime you put someone as young as Yakupov (18) playing less than 10 NHL games into important situations ie OT, his positive traits such as having acceptance of his task from his coach; being focus and determined to get open and score; having self-confident in his abilities and being responsible not to forget to play defensively are all part and parcel of having fine character.

A player can have all the talent and skill but if he lacks certain attributes (being calm under pressure, having awareness, hockey intelligent, trustworthy etc) along with his traits as mentioned above, then he would probably not finish around the net as well. These intangibles are as important as talent and skill.

How many times have one witnessed a great talented player falling off the precipice because he lacked character. Why do modern scouting methodology include interviews as one of its parameters in establishing an all around representation not only of a player but of an individual.

—Richard Lewis

Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #495
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's 19 (and a half).
Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #496
VERVE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
He's 19 (and a half).
OMG, he is so much older than I thought...

—Richard Lewis

Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #497
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anytime you put someone as young as Yakupov (18) playing less than 10 NHL games into important situations ie OT, his positive traits such as having acceptance of his task from his coach; being focus and determined to get open and score; having self-confident in his abilities and being responsible not to forget to play defensively are all part and parcel of having fine character.

A player can have all the talent and skill but if he lacks certain attributes (being calm under pressure, having awareness, hockey intelligent, trustworthy etc) along with his traits as mentioned above, then he would probably not finish around the net as well. These intangibles are as important as talent and skill.

How many times have one witnessed a great talented player falling off the precipice because he lacked character. Why do modern scouting methodology include interviews as one of its parameters in establishing an all around representation not only as a player but as an individual.
I agree with what you said, other than the fact that IMO hockey awareness and intelligence are part of talent and skill, which I agree Yak has in spades. Where we dissagree is that a 4 on 3 overtime situation, where only 1 point is on the line and it's the 2nd week of the season does not actually create the situation to test the character elements I've bolded above. It's a pretty risk free, free wheel situation.

I'm not saying Yak doesn't have it, just saying that I don't believe what we've seen to date has tested it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #498
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with what you said, other than the fact that IMO hockey awareness and intelligence are part of talent and skill, which I agree Yak has in spades. Where we dissagree is that a 4 on 3 overtime situation, where only 1 point is on the line and it's the 2nd week of the season does not actually create the situation to test the character elements I've bolded above. It's a pretty risk free, free wheel situation.

I'm not saying Yak doesn't have it, just saying that I don't believe what we've seen to date has tested it.
Well to be fair, he could have 14 goals by now and it would still be too small a sample size to draw many conclusions about him other than he's really good. Which we can conclude from his performances to date anyway.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #499
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
That's the thing, he didn't remain motionless. He was doing a taunting gesture with his hands. He was trying to stir the pot.
I meant he stayed in one spot. And who cares. If pots aren't stirred, you usually burn what you're attempting to cook, so I'm not sure where this became a bad thing.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #500
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I meant he stayed in one spot. And who cares. If pots aren't stirred, you usually burn what you're attempting to cook, so I'm not sure where this became a bad thing.
All I'm getting at is he is bringing this attention onto himself, for good or for bad, and he shouldn't be surprised if somebody takes exception to it and tries to punch a hole in his face or plaster him to the end boards.