Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #481
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I liked it
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #482
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
All these years of watching SOA, for it to finish like this. Wow. I am ####ing pissed off, tonight's episode sucked ####. I am ####ING PISSED.
I'm not sure what you were expecting. It was pretty obvious that all the twists and shocks were done in the previous couple episodes. All that was left of this episode was to wrap things up. It seemed consistent with the quality of the show (not sure if that was a compliment or insult, probably both), and was a satisfying ending.

Spoiler!

Last edited by nfotiu; 12-10-2014 at 05:30 AM.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #483
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I also liked it, I mean you could see it coming and satisfyingly they wrapped up loose ends. Hate when a series ends with a bunch of unanswered plotlines.
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:26 AM   #484
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it. Sure it was obvious what would happen but like khel said I'm satisfied the it tied up all the loose ends and actually has what feels like an ending.

I hope Sutter gets that prequel off the ground.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #485
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I liked it. Not much to be said that hasn't already been said. It was expected, but it tied up loose ends. I am glad that the club didn't kill off Jax, and that he went full circle on his dad's bike. Fun twist that it was the truck driver that Gemma encountered.

Neat bit of symbolism with the "homeless chick" and the crows and the bread at the end. I am happy that we didn't have to see a mangled Jax for shock value. Seeing the blood was enough.

I didn't really feel like they needed to show Gemma and Wayne again. We know they are dead. I didn't need the final close ups of exsanguinated bodies.

Also have to say that Charming has the worst cops ever. Jax was able to walk into a store, kill a former (albeit dirty) cop and walk out. Then, show up at a courthouse, murder a couple people and then again walk away. Where the hell are the cops? Oh, right, they are trolling the highways in the exact spot where Jax' dad died. Chance encounter.

The big unsatisfying bit for me was Jary. The other sheriffs were at least somewhat formidable. They weren't completely useless like her. She was a waste of space in this season. And of course, we had to get that last attempt at a relationship discussion with Chibs. I hate the actress. I hated this role. It was terrible and a huge blight on the season. We went from Eli, who was actually somewhat intelligent, to her. Just awful.

Having said that, I liked it the episode. I am left satisfied. The season was up and down, but it came together. Still really like the series and will miss it.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #486
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it as well. I knew the end for Jax was coming and I suspected he would go out like that too, but I'm still very sad. It's such a sad ending, that I don't feel as satisfied as I did at the end of Breaking Bad, but I think it was the best way they could do it.

I also hated Jarry Elle, thought she was a terrible actress and a terrible character.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #487
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, to be fair, I thought it was a good tie-up of all the plots and brought back the original dilemma (how can one be decent in an indecent life?). It was an appropriate ending.

I also thought there were lots of neat things - Abel playing with the ring in his final shot, the homeless woman finally identified, SAMCRO becoming officially multi-racial, etc. Really neat to see Michael Chiklis driving the semi. Kind of a cool contrast between Jax and Vic Mackey, who was a character who would sacrifice anyone to survive.

I'm not convinced it needed to be such a long episode but it's forgivable given it was the last episode.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #488
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was emotionally satisfying and logically infuriating. Jax's exit, for instance...Wikipedia does exist Jax, and since he's about to become a national news story for his murdering two ex cops, his mom, a well known gang suspect in front of a courthouse and then killing himself (and possibly others) in the crash....his sons are probably gonna realize Daddy was a really horrible person.

And naturally it ends on a montage, and frankly it was so long, drawn out and ultimately funny that I laughed for a good minute after it ended. Sutter went hard on the self indulgence with that last montage, working in Katy somehow AND having his band perform an original song. Impressive.

Ultimately Sons of Anarchy was exactly how it was described to me before I started watching it: A soap opera for men. This wasn't a show for great writing or even a coherent plot. It was escapism and fun and stupid and silly and if you never took it seriously, ultimately enjoyable. Not the greatest show ever or even close, but I enjoyed it more than Lost in the end.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #489
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Ultimately Sons of Anarchy was exactly how it was described to me before I started watching it: A soap opera for men.
I bailed on this show for that exact reason. I did make it to the Ireland season though but then I'd had enough. It was just so flat, even when people were dying, it just seemed like it was trying too hard and failing.

Seems like I made the right decision.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #490
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I thought it was emotionally satisfying and logically infuriating. Jax's exit, for instance...Wikipedia does exist Jax, and since he's about to become a national news story for his murdering two ex cops, his mom, a well known gang suspect in front of a courthouse and then killing himself (and possibly others) in the crash....his sons are probably gonna realize Daddy was a really horrible person.
I'm not seeing the contradiction. Jax said he wanted his kids to think he was a horrible person.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #491
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well he wants them to escape his life and not follow his steps. You think they're going to find all that out (and they don't even need Nero or Wendy to tell them, Jax should be nationally infamous now) and be normal kids? Able's gonna find out Daddy killed Grandma and then himself, and he's not become a criminal or a sociopath? I doubt it. So I just don't buy his reasoning for offing himself. His kids are likely ####ed no matter what, and possibly even more so now that Daddy will be villainized on TV.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #492
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was terrible. I've only watched the last season, as my fiancé watched the show and I decided to join her late on, but what a pile of ...

I'll give the show credit where it's due as a somewhat entertaining, mind free filler program to watch when you're bored, but I can't think of a show that I've watched with such bad writing, predictable plot lines and cheese factor this high.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #493
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I bailed on this show for that exact reason. I did make it to the Ireland season though but then I'd had enough. It was just so flat, even when people were dying, it just seemed like it was trying too hard and failing.

Seems like I made the right decision.
The Ireland season was brutal imo. Get through that and it picks up though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #494
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really liked the finale. Yes it was predictable, but they tied up all loose ends and that's what's most important to me in series finales - closure. Sutter (while exaggerating with the symbolisms of course, but I'll forgive him for doing that in the finale) delivered that while keeping my favourite remaining characters (Nero, Chibs and Happy) alive. Couldn't have asked for more.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #495
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show was gangland fantasy. It's over, and I won't miss it, but I didn't hate it.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #496
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

probably missed a few but if you list all of the "bigger" characters that got killed, you get an average of 7 per season, and that's without all the nameless victims and minor characters. Crazy.

Spoiler!
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #497
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the ending. As others have said, if you go into it with the frame of mind that it's over the top for violence and really has nothing to do with motorcycles (like my bike-loving uncle thought), it's pretty enjoyable. I actually really enjoyed the montages and soundtrack each season. Jax's ending was spot on and something that needed to happen.

I thought for sure Nero would die at some point and that Unser would be the last man standing. If your looking for symbolism or hidden meanings that other shows like Sopranos or BrBa had, you'll be disappointed. If you want violence and f'd up characters who keep digging themselves into holes, you'll enjoy this. It's Sutter MO and pretty much exactly what I expect from someone like him. I think Gemma is the most evil female character in TVs history and the show was as much about her as it was Jax. Glad it's over though, it was starting to drag on. But it's a show I'll enjoy rewatching at some point in the future.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #498
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The Ireland season was brutal imo. Get through that and it picks up though
I'm not picking that up from this thread at all.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #499
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed the finale. Sad to see it all end, but it was probably a season overdue. Like many, I'm glad they tied up all loose ends. Overall, I really enjoyed the series.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #500
Guest1

I knew they had to tie up loose ends and all... but I was waiting for a little bit of a twist at the end. People on the interwebz fore-saw (is that a word?) that ending for awhile. And the fact that the homeless woman was Jesus. Disappointed. I have to admit I cried the whole show, because I knew Jax was going to die...
Best part of the show: I really dug this song: