Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2023, 07:23 PM   #481
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
They’re really cracking down on Sunny Side.

Cracking down on what sense?
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 03:12 AM   #482
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was only inferring that is where Sliver boards.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 03:47 PM   #483
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just spent my first of 3 days at sunshine. Conditions are less than good, lots and lots of rocks to find and plenty of ice as well. We made it work and picked our way around the hill, found some ok tree skiing. Visibility was terrible which also kept us off the Divide, which when it cleared up at the end we went for a run and thats where we found the best conditions, hopefully it is clear tomorrow so we can spend time up there.

In summary, they need snow, quite a bit of it and soon as what they have is getting skiied off

Last edited by Whynotnow; 01-02-2024 at 03:50 PM.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 04:18 PM   #484
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, I only ended up going three times over Christmas. Had one awesome day, one mediocre day, and one day where we bailed after one run. Literally had to ollie over rocks to make it interesting, but the snow was the worst I've ever seen in my whole life. I'm not going back until they get a dump. It's too depressing. I'd rather be on my elliptical listening to music than riding this garbage.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:32 PM   #485
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hit Sunshine on the 25th, it was decent enough but I made a point that I'll only be heading back this month after it snows.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:39 PM   #486
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I hit Sunshine on the 25th, it was decent enough but I made a point that I'll only be heading back this month after it snows.
Yeah we were booked to stay at the lodge so there was no backing out without losing the money but yup I’m not coming back without snow. My son has csia level 2 training at Louise the end of Jan, we have to go to that so hopefully something happens between now and then.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:20 AM   #487
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Fernie getting nuked. Another 30cms last night and it's still coming.

Will report on the choking face shots later today.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 09:47 AM   #488
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Just got back from 4 days of cat skiing at Chatter Creek. Went in with very low expectations but 40cm overnight on first night quickly changed that. Another 30cm over the next three days made it into epic trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Treycal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 09:48 AM   #489
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome.

PS: I hate you.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:56 AM   #490
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
Yeah we were booked to stay at the lodge so there was no backing out without losing the money .
I think they have 7 day cancellation with no penalty?

Also how did you like it, I'm booked in for late April. Never stayed there before.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 05:16 PM   #491
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I think they have 7 day cancellation with no penalty?

Also how did you like it, I'm booked in for late April. Never stayed there before.
14 days at peak times.

We have stayed there maybe 6 times or so, it’s a really unique treat that we like to do once a season if we can.

Pros

- it’s so nice to ski till 4 at sunshine and be at your room with a beer in hand at 4:05
- very peaceful up there, seeing the cats grooming, the stars, it’s all very magical
-waking up at 8or even a bit later, grabbing breakfast in the room(I pack it) and still making first chair is awesome
- nice hot tub
- the staff all seem very nice and the place is pretty laid back

Cons or Things to be aware of

- if you don’t like it quiet this is not the place. There’s just a couple of dining options.
- rooms are on the small side, it’s a bit of a mind puzzle if you bring too much
-food is not always great, but it’s pretty good
-can take a few hours to get your stuff after check in and a few hours to get it down after check out so be aware

All in all it’s a pretty awesome experience that we enjoy.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:16 PM   #492
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't believe we had another avalanche death in Tahoe at Palisades (old Squaw). INBOUNDS!

We have skied there and Alpine (next to each other) for the past 10 years.

Aside from the superb documentary "Buried" on netflix about the 1982 avalanche, this place seems to keep having mishaps. I don't recall many avalanche related injuries or deaths growing up in Calgary. I think there was that group of kids from Strathcona-Tweedsmuir but that was back country. These mountains here are not as big as back home.

2024 - Palisades avalanche inbounds on KT-22; one killed.
2020 - avalanche inbounds at Alpine killing one.
2017 - patrol person died when explosive detonated in hand (they throw them!)
Old 01-11-2024, 04:26 PM   #493
RobotTalk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Can't believe we had another avalanche death in Tahoe at Palisades (old Squaw). INBOUNDS!

We have skied there and Alpine (next to each other) for the past 10 years.

Aside from the superb documentary "Buried" on netflix about the 1982 avalanche, this place seems to keep having mishaps. I don't recall many avalanche related injuries or deaths growing up in Calgary. I think there was that group of kids from Strathcona-Tweedsmuir but that was back country. These mountains here are not as big as back home.

2024 - Palisades avalanche inbounds on KT-22; one killed.
2020 - avalanche inbounds at Alpine killing one.
2017 - patrol person died when explosive detonated in hand (they throw them!)
I can't remember an inbounds avalanche at a Rockies/Eastern BC resort but Whistler has had a few problems recently. There was an inbounds avalanche there a couple days ago (no injuries) and a fatal inbound avalanche there last year.

https://www.powder.com/trending-news...unds-avalanche

https://globalnews.ca/news/8744351/w...-april-7-2022/
RobotTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:46 PM   #494
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fernie has had inbounds slides before. One of the Polar Peak chutes ripped out a few years ago minutes after we rode it. They closed Currie for a few hours while they probe lined it but thankfully noone was caught. Too bad, snow was great that day.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 07:21 PM   #495
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Fernie has had inbounds slides before. One of the Polar Peak chutes ripped out a few years ago minutes after we rode it. They closed Currie for a few hours while they probe lined it but thankfully noone was caught. Too bad, snow was great that day.
Sunshine had one last year in goats eye just below cleavage, an area we ski all the time and had just been there a few weeks earlier.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:52 PM   #496
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m at 7 epic pow days already. Love those Chatter pics.

The chat about slides, yep inbounds slides occur at many resorts. Heck, I’ve seen Sunset Terrace go, for spots that have avid traffic, from the common public.

Last edited by cam_wmh; 01-16-2024 at 02:54 PM.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:51 PM   #497
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Has anybody skied sunshine or Louise recently? Heading up tomorrow and not sure what’s better. Any suggestions?

Also, I haven’t skied a weekend in years. Do I need to get there super early to get a parking spot?
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:08 PM   #498
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rode Louise today. Pretty typical January day. It's thinner than normal in the trees but the groomers are fine.

Parking wise we didn't get there until 10:30 and were pretty far back. That said Sundays always quieter so it'll be ok.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 11:38 AM   #499
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have any experience or leads on how to get lodging in Little Cottonwood Canyon at a price that isn't going to cause me to have to sell my house?

I have been strongly considering taking the trip and doing 2 days at Alta and 2 at Snowbird, and I'd really like to stay up there to save having to do the drive (if there's fresh snow you either leave at 4am or you don't get there until the afternoon, is my understanding). The problem is that while lodging up here has gone through the roof since Covid, apparently down there it's totally bonkers. Like, 500 USD per night at minimum. Am I missing some other way of doing things or is it just totally unattainable for those of us not related to Jeff Bezos?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:43 PM   #500
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My son had a ski race at Castle mountain this weekend. It's pretty bleak there. Up top was rideable on friday, but on saturday they shut down the lift because of wind. Yesterday was 8 degrees and raining.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote