Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #481
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Riding out to Canmore from the Wedding Pavilion tomorrow with a small group. Hoping the weather cooperates... Would like to hear about the Highwood ride. I'm hoping to do that in the next couple of weeks.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #482
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Welp I think I'm in pretty good biking shape now so myself and a buddy and a few of his friends are going to do the Highwood Pass ride on Sunday.

If I don't check back in by Monday I'm dead and one of you can have my bike.

Give a report when you get back. I am going to take one more shot at this before it opens. Snow up there still?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #483
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice day today - Went bombing around bowmount (not sure if that's what it's called) for a few hours today. Good weather, got in before it got too windy. Or I was proteced down by the river. Managed 23km's about 2 hours. A lot of back and forths since I've never really explored the trails other than running in the area. I'm not a mountain biker so it was all new to me. Some trails I had to get off and shimmy down a steep part. Probably look like a tool

Last edited by ranchlandsselling; 06-02-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #484
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I did about 23 miles today on mostly gravel roads. Wasn't really aware of the area, so I hit about 2 dead ends, one where I actually walked across a field to get back on the main road instead of going back the 5 miles.

I've been doing 10 mile rides mostly, so it was a bit tough. 25 miles in one ride is probably the max I'll do.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #485
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Okay - so I'm looking for help with mountain biking.

I'm aware it's a skill, and I'm wondering how I get better at this skill. At my advanced age and with my lack of free time I'm not going to go practice certain skills. What I do have time for is going out and riding around for exercise and with that I can log some hours which equates to practice.

1. I can't climb some steep hills. I see other bike tracks and assume people go up these? Obviously there's some that people have only gone down, hence the tracks. But I'm certain some of these people go up. I stall out and fall to the side and have to walk/push.
a) this happens because I lose traction
b) I lose speed
c) I feel like I'm going to flip over backwards
I've tried experimenting with body position lean forward to keep weight ahead and low. Sometimes it helps, other times I damned no matter what I do.

2. Going down some embankments. This I think might be 50% skill 50% fear. But part of me wonders if I suck it up and go (like a drop I saw the other day, mini cliff, then steep run to flat. Kinda like dropping off the ski jumps onto the out run (obviously way smaller). Now I could just slowly go off, but assume my undercarriage is just going to hit the dirt before my front wheel hits the ground and the rest of me. At which point I'll likely bail and slide down the embankment in a sad mess.

3. Roots. Do you try to maneuver them? Or just bump along over them?

4. Traffic, I'm going pretty slowly, but what about the other people I've seen flying through these trails. What happens when we encounter each other head on?

5. Clips. I have shoes and clips, I love them and couldn't imagine not being clipped in. That said, when I reach a point that I stall out, climbing, steering, etc and I stop. Trying to get back into them on a hill, narrow path, turn, etc screws me royally.

6. Seat to high? My seat is in a great position for riding. However not for running into all the above problems. It's a huge height to get my leg back over if I've had to stop or climb off for the above. Not to mention this always transpires where it's tough to do anything, throw in the clip issue above.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #486
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got all parts in and slowly cleaning and reassembling the parts I was reusing - mainly the old wheelset.

Installed the new headset with some DIY tools created from Home Depot bolts, washers, and nuts. Unfortunately the one thing I hadn't anticipated was the crown race on the new fork. Namely, the fork's steering tube hasn't been machined down the crown race's intended size. I have no way of doing this, so wondering if all bike shops / MEC are able to carry this out?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #487
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ride to Canmore yesterday was beautiful. A little windy between the #40 and Lac Des Arcs, but otherwise a nice ride and not overly difficult. I'd say Day One of the Ride to Conquer Cancer last year was slightly tougher as a benchmark.

Left at 7:40 arrived in Canmore at about 11:50, total moving time was just over 3:30. Sit below has the metrics and elevations for anybody curious. It does lie about my top speed though. I didn't get to 81kph, my top speed was about 68.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/689984
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #488
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Got all parts in and slowly cleaning and reassembling the parts I was reusing - mainly the old wheelset.

Installed the new headset with some DIY tools created from Home Depot bolts, washers, and nuts. Unfortunately the one thing I hadn't anticipated was the crown race on the new fork. Namely, the fork's steering tube hasn't been machined down the crown race's intended size. I have no way of doing this, so wondering if all bike shops / MEC are able to carry this out?
Can you post a pic?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #489
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll insert my comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post

I'm aware it's a skill, and I'm wondering how I get better at this skill. At my advanced age and with my lack of free time I'm not going to go practice certain skills. What I do have time for is going out and riding around for exercise and with that I can log some hours which equates to practice.

1. I can't climb some steep hills. I see other bike tracks and assume people go up these? Obviously there's some that people have only gone down, hence the tracks. But I'm certain some of these people go up. I stall out and fall to the side and have to walk/push.
b) I lose speed
I've tried experimenting with body position lean forward to keep weight ahead and low. Sometimes it helps, other times I damned no matter what I do.

Try gearing down. Sometimes staying seated and pedaling is the best option, keeps some weight over the back tire. I usually stand and pedal. The rest of it involves some practice and general conditioning. I have never flipped backwards, I would think you would need to be going up a very steep hill to do this

2. Going down some embankments. This I think might be 50% skill 50% fear. But part of me wonders if I suck it up and go (like a drop I saw the other day, mini cliff, then steep run to flat. Kinda like dropping off the ski jumps onto the out run (obviously way smaller). Now I could just slowly go off, but assume my undercarriage is just going to hit the dirt before my front wheel hits the ground and the rest of me. At which point I'll likely bail and slide down the embankment in a sad mess.

If you go slow try and pull up on your front wheel. Practicing this skill will help, you just need to find a smaller drop off. Make sure when you do this that both your pedals are paralell to the ground and not in the 12/6 position.

This can be tricky, when you are riding along your bike wants to keep moving forward, however, roots can be a challenge if they are slippery. When tackling them you want your pedals paralell to the ground and you may find it helpful to be standing so your legs and arms can absorb some of the bouncing around

4. Traffic, I'm going pretty slowly, but what about the other people I've seen flying through these trails. What happens when we encounter each other head on?

The general rule is that those going downhill yield to those going uphill. Otherwise you should ensure you are riding under control and ringing your bell in areas with blind corners. Try not to make the trail any wider by riding off of it.

5. Clips. I have shoes and clips, I love them and couldn't imagine not being clipped in. That said, when I reach a point that I stall out, climbing, steering, etc and I stop. Trying to get back into them on a hill, narrow path, turn, etc screws me royally.

6. Seat to high? My seat is in a great position for riding. However not for running into all the above problems. It's a huge height to get my leg back over if I've had to stop or climb off for the above. Not to mention this always transpires where it's tough to do anything, throw in the clip issue above.

The general rule is that if you place the heel of your foot on the pedal there should be a slight bend in your knee. I have seen a math formula that involves measuring your inseam and multiplying by some number and that should be the distance from the top of your seat to some point on your crank - I am sure that if you googled this you would find it. Getting back on your bike on an uphill grunt is difficult, once you are off it is best to push until the grade becomes less severe. If you are riding someplace where you have to get off a lot, you might want to consider temporarily lowering your seat.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #490
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Can you post a pic?
Sure. What would you like to see?

The fork itself is a Surly 1x1 with a 30mm crown. The headset is a Cane Creek 40 with a 30mm crown race. When I tried to put the crown race on, it was impossible. I'll measure with calipers tonight to get an exact measurement.

Sadly in my frustration, I damaged the rubber seal that came with the crown race while attempting to use a bit more force to get it on. I have ordered a replacement crown race though, and should get it soon and let a bike shop at it.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #491
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. What would you like to see?

The fork itself is a Surly 1x1 with a 30mm crown. The headset is a Cane Creek 40 with a 30mm crown race. When I tried to put the crown race on, it was impossible. I'll measure with calipers tonight to get an exact measurement.

Sadly in my frustration, I damaged the rubber seal that came with the crown race while attempting to use a bit more force to get it on. I have ordered a replacement crown race though, and should get it soon and let a bike shop at it.
I have a crown race installer you can try if you like.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #492
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I have a crown race installer you can try if you like.
Thanks. Have you installed them before? Any thoughts on how tight the fit should be? Most videos show it going on quite easily with little force required, just some light tapping.

I am going to guess that some tolerances are out a bit, or the fork's crown was meant to be faced a bit to suit the chosen headset.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #493
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

b) I lose speed

I would say for the first while use full gear so that you can ride more aggressively and confidently. If you hit a root on a hill you can end up doing a backwards somersault on your bike which usually puts you in a bad situation as the landing is just the start of the rest of the roll down the hill. If you are clipped in this can be even worse.....think major knee injury and lots of lacerations....

In the more technical areas lower your seat and learn to use your brakes properly not just to slow you down but to gain your balance. Also you will realize that a lot of climbing is upper body and you need to use your upper body to pull you up the hills as much as your legs will push you up. On the steep climbs stay low and use your momentum to propel you up the hill. Being in the right gear also helps. Go out to a grass field sometime and just play around with your brakes and balancing on your bike. Once you can master this you realize how much of mountain biking is dependent on balance and momentum and you really do use your entire body. Until you have this you ride in fear of falling and it throws everything "off balance".....If you can feel that you have lost momentum on a hill bail to the side quickly as the worst falls are when you are in slow/no motion. As for roots they can cause these falls especially after rain or if frosted in the fall or early spring. I like to stear around then when climbing and when going down hills you can use them to catch air or also go around them as it is a smoother ride when you can avoid them.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #494
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. Have you installed them before? Any thoughts on how tight the fit should be? Most videos show it going on quite easily with little force required, just some light tapping.

I am going to guess that some tolerances are out a bit, or the fork's crown was meant to be faced a bit to suit the chosen headset.
I have installed them. Usually the crown race slides down easily till the last 1/4 inch. Then I use the installer and give it a firm tap with a rubber mallet.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #495
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
b) I lose speed
This is one of the hardest skills to get really good at, and it all gets ten times harder when you're tired at the end of a long viscous climb.

When climbing a really steep hill, choose the hardest gear you can keep pedaling in, probably at best case 2nd, if your newer and still developing fitness, it'll be granny for the really steep stuff.

Body positioning. There are two things you are fighting here, your front wheel coming up (will screw up your steering/balance) and your back wheel slipping (your climb will come to an abrupt stop).

To keep the front wheel down, you need to get your chest as low as you possibly can, try put it almost touching your bars.

To keep traction on the back wheel, keep your taint right on the very, very tip of the nose of your seat. This allows you to have some weight going into the back tire while having your body as far forward as possible.

This position is extremely uncomfortable to pedal in at first, and also hard to balance especially at very low speeds, but it's how you can climb stuff you thought was unclimbable. There is also a lot to be said for picking a good line up the hill avoiding loose sections, and knowing when to put the power down to make it through a loose section that can't be avoided so you can go through it despite temporarily losing traction.

Quote:
Get of your bike and see if you can just roll over the embankment without catching your bottom bracket. If you can, good, you're good to go. If its really steep drop your seat a bit and hang your but behind the seat right over the rear tire. That will let you use a lot more front brake and keep from going over the bars.

If your bike can't clear the drop then just start practicing riding off sidewalk curbs while pulling up on the front end so your back tire hits the ground before the front. Start small and work your way up, if you chicken out in the middle of a drop that requires the front to be pulled up you're going to have a bad time.

Quote:
Wet roots are death. You have to go perpendicular to them or die. Dry roots are fine, just blast over them. The ones you are hitting on-angle might bounce your rear around a bit, but you'll be fine. You can roll over such big objects it would surprise you.

Quote:
Practice pedaling along without your shoes clipped in. To get started this can be necessary. Trees are also your friend, grab a tree, clip both feet in, and go. As you get better you are going to stall out a lot less and not worry about this too much.

Quote:

I only drop my seat if doing something that is crazy steep downhill where you could go over your bars easily, or of doing a very long section of downhill where it lets you have more movement for weight transfer. Otherwise it's always all the way up.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #496
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
Ride to Canmore yesterday was beautiful. A little windy between the #40 and Lac Des Arcs, but otherwise a nice ride and not overly difficult. I'd say Day One of the Ride to Conquer Cancer last year was slightly tougher as a benchmark.

Left at 7:40 arrived in Canmore at about 11:50, total moving time was just over 3:30. Sit below has the metrics and elevations for anybody curious. It does lie about my top speed though. I didn't get to 81kph, my top speed was about 68.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/689984
68kph is pretty good.

I actually surprised myself and hit 74kph on a gravel road with a mountain bike the other day.

It helped that the wind was pushing me.

Last edited by Azure; 06-04-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #497
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

hit 74mph on a gravel road with a mountain bike the other day.
Calling BS. Impossible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #498
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I survived the Highwood pass.

Most of the road looked like:

When you got closer to the pass it was more like:

but we made it all the way:

We got snowed on a little bit, rained on a little bit, but most of the day it was pretty good weather and the winds weren't even too bad.

Quite a sense of accomplishment biking the entire way, especially seeing as it was my first "major" ride on the road bike.

We did have to get off and walk our bikes through one section of snow, but it was really only about 15 feet of walking.. it's obvious they've been plowing it in preparation for opening it to cars.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #499
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Well I survived the Highwood pass.

Quite a sense of accomplishment biking the entire way, especially seeing as it was my first "major" ride on the road bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #500
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...dal_power.html

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 06-04-2012 at 01:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread