Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2023, 08:51 AM   #4941
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Went to renew my passport in person last week. The person said that right now it's an 80% chance of getting the old passport design issued instead of the new one. Finger's crossed!
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:30 AM   #4942
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long do you have to wait for a passport these days?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:12 AM   #4943
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I decided to drop off my paperwork in person without an appointment Friday last week. Showed up an hour before the office opened and took 2.5 hours total. They said I should expect it in the mail around Sept 30th. I think the standard time is 20 business days plus mailing time for a non-expedited renewal. It seems like the covid backlog has been pretty much dealt with.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2023, 10:17 AM   #4944
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We dropped off an application for a child’s passport on July 27, with no immediate travel plans, and it arrived today.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 11:18 AM   #4945
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
How long do you have to wait for a passport these days?
For quite a while now, it seems like a lot of people applying for a typical passport renewal have been receiving their passport in less than 2-3 weeks.

My own experience this August was about 12 days.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2023, 11:38 AM   #4946
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadi...ling-1.6537878

The new Canadian passports are sensitive to heat and humidity due to the way they've been manufactured, which could result in the curling of the covers, a spokesperson from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) told CTVNews.ca in an email.

Although IRCC said a curled passport is still valid, Lapensee, who works at the European Space Agency representing Canada, said he feels it is not acceptable for an official document.

“I find it a bit shameful that I have to present this type of passport to officials or if I go to companies and so on,” he said.

While some may wonder whether the issue with the passport cover could lead to those documents being recalled, in Canada at least, "as there are no defects, there are no plans to recall the new passports," IRCC said.

Those look embarrassing. I'm glad they have 8 years to fix the design flaw before mine expires.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #4947
alexle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

According to the r/aircanada reddit thread, Air Canada is suspending some flights out of YYC this winter.

Quote:
We are suspending our non-stop flights between Calgary and Cancun, Frankfurt, Halifax, Honolulu, Los Angeles, and Ottawa effective Oct. 30.
https://www.reddit.com/r/aircanada/c...eb2x&context=3
Old 08-30-2023, 09:34 AM   #4948
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexle View Post
According to the r/aircanada reddit thread, Air Canada is suspending some flights out of YYC this winter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aircanada/c...eb2x&context=3
Memo is legit, I confirmed with a couple of AC staff yesterday. Only international route out of Calgary direct will be LHR going forward until AC can fix the 30% drop in route capacity compared to pre-pandemic levels.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:49 AM   #4949
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadi...ling-1.6537878

The new Canadian passports are sensitive to heat and humidity due to the way they've been manufactured, which could result in the curling of the covers, a spokesperson from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) told CTVNews.ca in an email.

Although IRCC said a curled passport is still valid, Lapensee, who works at the European Space Agency representing Canada, said he feels it is not acceptable for an official document.

“I find it a bit shameful that I have to present this type of passport to officials or if I go to companies and so on,” he said.

While some may wonder whether the issue with the passport cover could lead to those documents being recalled, in Canada at least, "as there are no defects, there are no plans to recall the new passports," IRCC said.

Plus they look dumb. Either go with the coat of arms, or a stylized maple leaf. Doing both looks dumb - especially with the coat of arms scooted over to the edge like that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2023, 02:28 PM   #4950
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone getting their infants covid vaccines before traveling?
I haven't really thought too much of covid lately (thankfully) but going to Europe in 2 weeks and our 15 month son hasn't been vaccinated.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:25 PM   #4951
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We dropped off an application for a child’s passport on July 27, with no immediate travel plans, and it arrived today.

As an fyi, we received the old passport design. So looks like they’re still being distributed.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:31 AM   #4952
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m trying to use aeroplane points for business class to europe. It used to be 85k points return, but now it seems to be 200k return. Has ac really inflated the cost that much, or are there secrets to finding low-point business flights.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:00 AM   #4953
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Flying to Europe in a couple weeks. Flights are with Air Canada and were booked by someone else, but I have option to upgrade. I have a ton of CIBC rewards points. Is it possible to use those for the upgrades?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:02 AM   #4954
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
I’m trying to use aeroplane points for business class to europe. It used to be 85k points return, but now it seems to be 200k return. Has ac really inflated the cost that much, or are there secrets to finding low-point business flights.
The pricing is "dynamic" now on AC airplanes. If you can find partner flights (ie United, Lufthansa) it'll be cheaper. But from Calgary even partners awards to Europe (which will be severely date limited) will generally be 140k-180k return in business class, as it's based on distance.

Tl;Dr yes, they have inflated the cost of tickets dramatically.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2023, 01:19 PM   #4955
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find this site is good for finding value award tickets (though if you're bound to Aeroplan, it'll be tougher of course):

https://roame.travel/
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:12 AM   #4956
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Anyone care to comment if the free MPC app for US customs actually saves time at YYC US Preclearance?
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 01:54 PM   #4957
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Anyone care to comment if the free MPC app for US customs actually saves time at YYC US Preclearance?
Can’t speak for YYC but my father used it with me in YYZ and was quicker then myself in the Nexus line.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #4958
Bluestu
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I did it a couple weeks ago and it saved us about half an hour. There was a decent regular line up & no one in the MPC line, we were pretty much straight through.
Bluestu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluestu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2023, 10:00 PM   #4959
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody know why Vancouver is so expensive hotel wise the week of Sept 18? Staying downtown in a decent four star is showing crazy prices of $700 plus a night.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:09 PM   #4960
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
Anybody know why Vancouver is so expensive hotel wise the week of Sept 18? Staying downtown in a decent four star is showing crazy prices of $700 plus a night.
New normal.

Hotels are absolutely crazy. Non peak 4/5 star in YVR are around $400/night(Pan Pacific/Fairmont).

They can charge because people will pay.
Bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bankai For This Useful Post: