Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #4901
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, some posters on here love those likes or they would be able to understand why this is has been so unfortunate and unnecessary.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #4902
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Who knows? What I do know is this: 1) The general public has no PR obligation to a defend a company who makes crappy marketing decisions - that onus is 100% on the company and only them; and 2) Alberta's energy industry was a global lightning rod before this incident anyways, so if you think this one incident was the the cause for 'collateral damage and negative impact to the thousands of people in the industry', I think you have some news and history to catch up on.
Of course the general public doesn't have an obligation to defend a company. It also doesn't have an obligation to besmirch a company knowing an entire industry will be caught in the crossfire. It's completely irresponsible.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #4903
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Of course the general public doesn't have an obligation to defend a company. It also doesn't have an obligation to besmirch a company knowing an entire industry will be caught in the crossfire. It's completely irresponsible.
Wow. Good luck enforcing your moral high ground there.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #4904
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Someone doesn't like it? They should mail the whistleblower a letter and give her a piece of their mind!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #4905
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The energy sector is free to provide all of their comms people to do as much media outreach as possible to denounce this in the strongest possible terms if they want.

provide their ceos to go on camera and talk about how this doesn't represent the industry.

speak specifically to not using xsite energy as a company any more due to their reprehensible behaviour etc.

Stuff you'd see other industries do in the same context.

Like, xsite energy has earned all of this bad publicity, if the energy sector doesn't want it to reflect on all of them, I'm sure the public would be glad to hear about how they've adopted a new policy that will prevent them from working with companies that use graphic sexual imagery as forms of advertising.

It's not the job of a private citizen to look out for the reputation of an entire industry.

Does your industry require you to develop policies about using graphic sexual imagery as promotional material or would the idea of doing that be a natural barrier of entry for you?
So I work on communications strategy with high level clients all the time. If I had a client reach out to me and say I am so mad at this girl I am going to commission these stickers of her... it would be worth my career to stop him or I would quit the file before he had a chance to follow through.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #4906
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I think Sliver's point here is that this isn't a depiction of an entire industry but it has become that due to the way it is being reported. Did someone need to post it on Facebook and further tarnish the energy sector?

Well, what do you think the correct course of action would have been? It didn’t seem like the owner of the company gave a crap what some random person thought of his stickers.

If you are the person who decided to post that on social media, what would you have done instead? Just let it remain out there in the wild?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #4907
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Well, what do you think the correct course of action would have been? It didn’t seem like the owner of the company gave a crap what some random person thought of his stickers.

If you are the person who decided to post that on social media, what would you have done instead? Just let it remain out there in the wild?
Honestly, I wouldn't have done a thing about it but I tend to stay out of these things due to professional concerns.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #4908
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So I work on communications strategy with high level clients all the time. If I had a client reach out to me and say I am so mad at this girl I am going to commission these stickers of her... it would be worth my career to stop him or I would quit the file before he had a chance to follow through.
That's not what I'm saying. These goofs obviously didn't run this by a comms team. They probably didn't even have one (though they are undoubtedly paying through the nose for it now...).

What I'm saying is the industry doesn't have a bad reputation because of this incident. If the concern here is that the Alberta energy sector had a Sterling image and one junior oil services company has wrecked it, that concern is misplaced and not justified.

While a major is not releasing these sorts of bumper stickers, the concern here obviously from everyone that knows people within the industry is that there are prominent opinions adjacent to it.

No one is concerned that there is a single incidence making the industry look bad, the palpable concern is that there are multiple incidents including the Alberta government actively courting the people holding these opinions.

The concern isn't that there is a lone wolf out there spoiling a hard fought positive public image, the concern is that the industry's public perception is already precarious because most of the public imaging coming out of Alberta about climate change and climate activists has been vitriolic for decades, and a lot of that has had either government of Alberta or Harper Government letterheads attached, which implies endorsement of Albertans.

So much of the commentary in this thread is that there is worse out there circulating on Facebook etc.

The concern isn't that one bad actor is casting a shadow, it's the outrage is warranted and the depiction of the industry could be accurate.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 03-02-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #4909
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Wow. Good luck enforcing your moral high ground there.
I'm calling her out. This thread led me to believe that was laudable.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #4910
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

This lady saw a disrespectful sticker and called the company to complain. She was basically told to stuff it. She took this to Facebook. That is the end of her story.

The way the media took it is another thing. If this was the first time someone in Alberta was doing something stupid and Rig Pig like then it would not gain much attention but because it is common it took off again. If we want to get rid of that mentality and status then we need to call people out and show that we do not accept it.

This whole "Awww it makes the industry look bad!!1!!" is BS, It really is just another day in Alberta.

Superflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #4911
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
This lady saw a disrespectful sticker and called the company to complain. She was basically told to stuff it. She took this to Facebook. That is the end of her story.

The way the media took it is another thing. If this was the first time someone in Alberta was doing something stupid and Rig Pig like then it would not gain much attention but because it is common it took off again. If we want to get rid of that mentality and status then we need to call people out and show that we do not accept it.

This whole "Awww it makes the industry look bad!!1!!" is BS, It really is just another day in Alberta.

is this true? Honestly, if that's true, then I'm not upset she went to social. I thought she just ran to facebook.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #4912
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
is this true? Honestly, if that's true, then I'm not upset she went to social. I thought she just ran to facebook.
Yes she apparently phoned the GM about it and they said she's not a child etc etc.

Here's the Reddit link with photo of her post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...mpany_sticker/
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #4913
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #4914
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Wow” at what?

That the GM of the company disregarded concerns and told the person to “stuff it” isn’t some new bit of info. It was literally part of the social media post that started this.

This isn’t some Ronan Farrow level investigative work.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #4915
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Supreme Court refused to hear appeal on TMX.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #4916
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
“Wow” at what?

That the GM of the company disregarded concerns and told the person to “stuff it” isn’t some new bit of info. It was literally part of the social media post that started this.

This isn’t some Ronan Farrow level investigative work.
No, I find his response quite shocking. Changes my mind, for sure.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #4917
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Supreme Court refused to hear appeal on TMX.
Huge news. Excellent.

Link?

NM just the SCC reaffirming the BC Court of Appeals decision. I thought it had to do with the Indigenous appeal after the Federal Court dismissed their case.

Last edited by peter12; 03-05-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #4918
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Nvm. Halt the excitement.

Just a rejection of leave to appeal application by the groups denied the right to appeal the decision to the FCA (the September hearing).

https://decisions.scc-csc.ca/scc-csc...18180/index.do

CBC did a pretty poor job of explaining what actually happened.

Last edited by Fuzzy14; 03-05-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #4919
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy14 View Post
Nvm. Halt the excitement.

Just a rejection of leave to appeal application by the groups denied the right to appeal the decision to the FCA (the September hearing).

https://decisions.scc-csc.ca/scc-csc...18180/index.do

CBC did a pretty poor job of explaining what actually happened.

Now I obviously understand exactly what that means.
For example, I totally understand what "Rejection of leave to appeal" means.

But there are some dumb dumbs on this site, who don't understand it at all.

Maybe you should explain it to them. I would, but I understand it so well I would probably just explain it too well and no one would understand it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #4920
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I think Sliver's point here is that this isn't a depiction of an entire industry but it has become that due to the way it is being reported. Did someone need to post it on Facebook and further tarnish the energy sector?
Quote:
Oh wow.
Both a quote of support ( “this is not the oil patch” ) and the GMs words were written in the original post that you guys are dissecting without having read it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote