Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #4901
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
... can we seriously sit here and say that this Flames roster wouldn't be vastly different if we had neon Leon instead of hotly debated Sam Bennett? ....
Only one spot removed, but the difference between a 3rd overall and the 4th is fairly substantial. We never had a chance at Leon

I have to admit I thought Sam would be the better player at the time though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #4902
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Tkachuk talks a big game, but hasn't yet proven to be that big game hunter he likes to make himself out to be.
What does this actually mean?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #4903
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

No kidding. He doesn't gloat about his goal totals like Kassian.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #4904
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, I hate the Oilers as much as the next guy but can we seriously sit here and say that this Flames roster wouldn't be vastly different if we had neon Leon instead of hotly debated Sam Bennett?
How is that relevant to a comparison between Draisaitl and Tkachuk?
Old 12-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #4905
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Only one spot removed, but the difference between a 3rd overall and the 4th is fairly substantial. We never had a chance at Leon

I have to admit I thought Sam would be the better player at the time though.
Yeah, I was hoping Draisaitl would fall to the Flames, but he didn't so it was never a choice between them.

You could argue taking Bennett over Nylander or Ehlers whom I recall some people here were pining for. At the time, Bennett was a reasonable pick though.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #4906
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, I hate the Oilers as much as the next guy but can we seriously sit here and say that this Flames roster wouldn't be vastly different if we had neon Leon instead of hotly debated Sam Bennett?

I'm of the opinion....coming from a top 5 Bennett booster on this board that Draisaitl (scoring champ) would be this teams number 1 center.

I absolutely Loathe the fact the Oilers have Draisaitl. I loathe the fact I think he is a turd burglar and a bit of a chump. But what is undeniable is his talent, skill and production. He is the primary player on an Oilers team that has the supposed best player on the planet McDavid. I know Oil fans personally who belive this. And I think they're right.

Tell me you would care if Draisaitl put up 120 beside Gaudreau but didn't care about defense.

Tkachuk is a good player. Maybe not great but IMO he isnt even close to Draisaitl. I HATE SAYING THAT. And the position thing as always tells us who is more valuable. Centers.

Stupid Oilers. Draisaitl on any other team, literally any other team and nobody here would be slanting him this hard.

Meh. I hate that you made me defend a stupid Oiler. But Neon Leon is legitimately better than chuckles.
You can call me a homer if you want but I will not admit Draisaitl is better than Tkachuk. There are lots of stats that show he isn't that great of a play driver. I'm sure he has improved a bit by now but he has never been an amazing play driver. Anyone who thinks he's the guy over McDavid is flat out wrong and I will bet that we see him fall down to earth a bt this year as I think Yamamoto will too, and I think Yamamoto's play was key in Draisaitl doing what he did last year. Draisaitl is obviously better but before last year there were legitimate questions on whether or not he could drive his own line and I'm not ready to say that question has been answered yet.

I'm going to say this agin just to drive it home but Draisaitl is literally one of the worst defensive players in the league (I'm talking like bottom 5 of all 300+ players).

Obviously we'd be better had we gotten him instead of Bennett. But Last year everything lined up perfectly for Draisaitl and I don't think we see that again this year. I will admit that I'm wrong if he proves it to me but I need one more season to know for sure
Old 12-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #4907
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
I will admit that I'm wrong if he proves it to me but I need one more season to know for sure
I don't believe you.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #4908
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tkachuk said a lot of stuff heading into the play-in and post season, but really didn't play to the level he said the team needed to be at. If you're going to call out the team and make demands of the team stepping up their game, you better be one of those players that excels and over-achieves. He was pretty disappointing IMO and a player that should be worrying about stepping up his game in the post season before calling others out. This will be an unpopular opinion, but Tkachuk is not yet elite. Until he gets there he should be worrying about his own performance and no one else's.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #4909
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Tkachuk said a lot of stuff heading into the play-in and post season, but really didn't play to the level he said the team needed to be at. If you're going to call out the team and make demands of the team stepping up their game, you better be one of those players that excels and over-achieves. He was pretty disappointing IMO and a player that should be worrying about stepping up his game in the post season before calling others out. This will be an unpopular opinion, but Tkachuk is not yet elite. Until he gets there he should be worrying about his own performance and no one else's.
After Tkachuk was sidelined with an injury in the playoffs, the Flames lost three straight games. I didn't think he was great, but he was also not bad. Certainly among the least of the team's problems in the playoffs.

Quote:
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #4910
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Veteran forward Lance Bouma is in the same boat. After spending last season with the AHL’s Ontario Reign, Bouma is heading back to Europe, this time signing with the SHL’s IK Oskarshamn, the team announced. After seven seasons with the Calgary Flames, including four as a regular player, and another with the Chicago Blackhawks, Bouma has been out of the NHL since 2017-18 and hopes a strong season in Sweden may get him back on the radar.
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/calgary-flames
Old 12-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #4911
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
3 Trade Assets for the Calgary Flames

Sam Bennett
David Rittich
Johnny Gaudreau
https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/1...ry-flames.html
Old 12-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #4912
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Big Changes Could Be Coming to Calgary Flames Notes Analyst

the Calgary Flames might be the team most likely to make major changes if things don’t go well early on in the 2020-21 season.

He noted that captain Mark Giordano is 37 years old and general manager Brad Treliving has been shaping and running the team since 2015. Hinting that he’s taken some huge swings in an attempt to improve the team, whatever his vision for the team is, doesn’t seem to have come true.

The guy expected to produce the most points, Johnny Gaudreau has had all sorts of trade rumors surrounding him in the past calendar year and he becomes a UFA in 18 months. Dixon argues he may be the best player in the NHL who is consistently embroiled in trade talks — although, we might give the edge recently to Patrik Laine.
https://nhltradetalk.com/calgary-fla...hanges-2020-21
Old 12-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #4913
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
But Last year everything lined up perfectly for Draisaitl and I don't think we see that again this year. I will admit that I'm wrong if he proves it to me but I need one more season to know for sure
What are the chances that he can have three seasons in a row where he scores at a 100 point pace. And who has done that in the last 20 years, just Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid. Once he does that I may consider him to be an ok hockey player. But I do need one more season as well to make that determination.

And the playoffs too, too small of a sample size. Sure over his first 17 playoff games he has scored at a 106 point pace over 82 games but that could be a fluke.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #4914
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
LATEST ON THE FLAMES

The Flames only have around $223K in salary-cap space.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Treliving will probably evaluate his roster during training camp to determine any pressing needs to be addressed before Jan. 13. Given his limited cap space, he could be looking at dollar-for-dollar moves.
https://www.spectorshockey.net/2020/...ember-24-2020/
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #4915
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After Tkachuk was sidelined with an injury in the playoffs, the Flames lost three straight games. I didn't think he was great, but he was also not bad. Certainly among the least of the team's problems in the playoffs.
Yeah, even without scoring Tkachuk is certainly not invisible out there.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #4916
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Fourth Period on David Savard: "The Blue Jackets are still looking for extra fire power up front and could move Savard to get it. He has one-year left on his contract and several teams in need of a right-shot defenseman had inquired in the early-part of the off-season."
https://twitter.com/CBJcoverage/stat...rade-rumors%2F

Quote:
They also reported that Philadelphia is among three teams who have expressed early interest; the other teams being the Calgary Flames and Winnipeg Jets.
https://phillysportsnetwork.com/2020...-trade-rumors/
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #4917
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Savard would make a ton of sense if they hadn't already signed Tanev.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #4918
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

How dare you post trade rumours in the actual trade rumour thread?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #4919
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
How dare you post trade rumours in the actual trade rumour thread?
Some people just want to watch the world burn
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #4920
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t know. What the team does without him has nothing to do with what he does, or what they do with him.

He had more to say than anyone about expectations His contribution of 2 points in 6 games this year did not make him a material contributor to their wins. And was exactly on pace with his career 5 points in 15

Honestly, it doesn’t matter all that much. To whatever degree you are satisfied with his contribution, I don’t believe you would hear him be as satisfied.

At the end of the day, his play needs to exceed his talk and in the post season he has work left to do
Closed Thread