Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #4901
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You know how we both know that's revisionist history? This was an article written by the same damn guy in July 2016

How could a guy "on the decline" during the 2015-16 season illicit such a poetic waxing?

Because he wasn't. 2015-16 was the best season of his career. Kent Wilson just forgot reality when he started using stats incorrectly.
Happen to see that pizza TJ served up to McDavid?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #4902
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been thinking about this since the off season and I think its worthwhile having a discussion about it. Is it time to think about moving Johnny Hockey? Last night's game was another example of what happens when the games get physical and more like playoff hockey, and Gaudreau tends to disappear into the woodwork. I love the guy and tune in just to watch him, but thinking long term, and with the hopes of making noise in the post season, should we take advantage of his good contract and consider maximizing a return. I'm not talking about giving him away. I'm talking about getting a good package in return of assets that will help now, and in the future, but fit better with the team that is being built. I'm talking about going after players like Sean Coutuier or Nolan Patrick in Philadelphia, or a Taylor Hall or Nico Hischier in New Jersey type of deal. A major return for a major player.

I think the Flames have to make a decision of he is the guy that going to be able to be a major player for them in big games. I equate this to when Cliff Fletcher dealt Mike Bullard for Doug Gilmour. Bullard was coming off of a 103 point season and seemed like an immovable player for the Flames, but Fletcher read the tea leaves and saw more in Gilmour than he did in Bullard and made the deal. Johnny is my favorite Flame by a good margin, but thinking about winning the cup, I'm not sure the Flames do it with him as the straw that stirs the drink. Is it time to think about the bigger picture?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #4903
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jonny’s not going anywhere he is easily our most gifted offensive player. I’m sure if you read Oilers boards last night some half cut fans were floating out the idea of moving Conner as he was mostly invisible beside the 2 on 1 with Leon.

Jonny is super marketable, on an amazing contract, and he puts butts in the seat.
His true genius is only now being realized with an actual top line player in Lindholm.
He’s here for all 6.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #4904
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im fine with trading anyone if it makes the team better. Unfortunately teams usually get a package deal for superstars and those packages usually dont work out. I think trading Johnny should become a real consideration if he isn't willing to re-sign but to ask a guy that at this point in his deal doesnt really make sense. Johnny is a really effective player though so it would be quite the bold move for Treliving to make that trade unless he asked or the team wasnt living up to expectation. Doesnt seem like teams really make those moves unless there is a bigger issue. So unless we got offered an amazing deal I dont even see Treliving exploring it.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #4905
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I've been thinking about this since the off season and I think its worthwhile having a discussion about it. Is it time to think about moving Johnny Hockey? Last night's game was another example of what happens when the games get physical and more like playoff hockey, and Gaudreau tends to disappear into the woodwork. I love the guy and tune in just to watch him, but thinking long term, and with the hopes of making noise in the post season, should we take advantage of his good contract and consider maximizing a return. I'm not talking about giving him away. I'm talking about getting a good package in return of assets that will help now, and in the future, but fit better with the team that is being built. I'm talking about going after players like Sean Coutuier or Nolan Patrick in Philadelphia, or a Taylor Hall or Nico Hischier in New Jersey type of deal. A major return for a major player.

I think the Flames have to make a decision of he is the guy that going to be able to be a major player for them in big games. I equate this to when Cliff Fletcher dealt Mike Bullard for Doug Gilmour. Bullard was coming off of a 103 point season and seemed like an immovable player for the Flames, but Fletcher read the tea leaves and saw more in Gilmour than he did in Bullard and made the deal. Johnny is my favorite Flame by a good margin, but thinking about winning the cup, I'm not sure the Flames do it with him as the straw that stirs the drink. Is it time to think about the bigger picture?
It is not worth having a discussion. At all. Why is there a narrative that he disappears in big games? He has 11 points in 15 playoff games. Last night he had 1 assist and was a +2.

Johnny is an amazing talent on a very valuable contract. I don't get why we would consider trading that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cortez For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #4906
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I’m not at all proposing we trade Gaudreau but what would the return be? Taylor Hall would be enticing but he’s going to need a big contract after next year and is 2 years older. Does Johnnys contract give the flames more negotiating power or is Taylor Hall worth that much more? I think it’d be straight across
Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #4907
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way I'd trade Gaudreau is if we got Gaudreau from the future with his Stanley Cup ring he won with the Flames. Getting a guy like that would really help this team.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #4908
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's no surprise when Gaudreau goes pointless in four games the Flames go 1-3. I shudder to think of how bad this team would be without him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #4909
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
My point was that in 5 years time Gio likely close to done. Brodie probably won't be here either. Kylington would be the natural progressive turnover.
You really think Gio has another 5 years left in the tank? You expect him to play at 40?
Old 11-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #4910
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know how we both know that's revisionist history? This was an article written by the same damn guy in July 2016

How could a guy "on the decline" during the 2015-16 season illicit such a poetic waxing?

Because he wasn't. 2015-16 was the best season of his career. Kent Wilson just forgot reality when he started using stats incorrectly.
Yeah, but he played hockey when he was 11, he knows a bit about hockey.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #4911
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I'd like to see Kylington have a full season of excellence in the AHL and then have the Flames revisit this issue in the offseason if Kylington is still kyling it.

Even then, the Flames could send him down to the AHL at the beginning of next season like they did with Andersson this season.

The one thing I wonder about is if the Flames could possibly trade one of their LHD and a RW for a goalie. I'm not sure what James Neal would be worth right now, but Nick Bonino's contract is gruesome and the Predators have approximately $6.9M in cap space. Could the Flames pull off something like this?

Neal ($5.75M) + Kylington ($0.73M) + Smith (25% retained so $3.19M) <-> Bonino ($4.10M) + Saros ($1.50M)

In this deal, the Predators take on $4.07M in salary so they would only have $2.81M in cap space left. But they have a history with Neal and perhaps that history combined with getting Kylington and ridding themselves of Bonino would be enough for them to agree to trade Saros?

It's probably a stupid suggestion

So, the Flames rid themselves two bad contracts in Smith and Neal, and manage to get Sara’s in the deal,

If Nashville is bent on ridding themselves of Sharps, they could simply trade him for a few 1st round picks. Which they wouldn’t do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #4912
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's no surprise when Gaudreau goes pointless in four games the Flames go 1-3. I shudder to think of how bad this team would be without him.
Well the presumption is youd be getting back a major piece to take his spot so I dunno. I would never trade Johnny for a ‘package’ of lesser players or for a young player with potential to be a Johnny level player. It would have to be for someone like Taylor Hall. I could see it getting considered if the Flames have a poor playoff performance (or even worse, somehow miss), I could see them looking at what the Raptors did with the Kawhi Leonard trade. Hall seems like the natural fit in that analogy. Elite top 5 player in the league on an expiring deal. I’d be confident in getting him resigned as well given his ties and the team that would be around him.

It is just pure speculation though so please don’t take it as an everyone hates Johnny thing.. Nothing to it at all.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #4913
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Its way to early to start pencilling in Andersson for Brodie. I know this board loves the shiny new toys but while Andersson has been good he is not ready to replace Brodie. Brodie has been developed by the Flames and i hope he stays with the Flames and re-signs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
That may very well be true and is a very fair point.
It may very well be true and it might be a fair point but decisions have to be made on the blue line, maybe as soon as this off season.

Both Brodie and Hamonic are UFA's summer 2020, both will be 30 when their new deals start. Signing one makes sense, signing both doesn't. With players like Andersson and Valimaki already on the roster and Kylington making a push hanging onto the aging guys isn't prudent. Flames can't afford to be locking up both thirty year olds to long term deals.

Make a decision based on current play then move the other one one this summer in a trade.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #4914
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
You really think Gio has another 5 years left in the tank? You expect him to play at 40?
Yup
Old 11-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #4915
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Kent Wilson is clueless. People who know something about hockey don’t whine and cry when someone challenges them.

They let their work speak for itself.

His work sucks.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #4916
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Are you attempting to make the point that Brodie wasn't good last night? Because he was instrumental (and the leader) in the team completely shutting down McDavid's line.

Your narrative against Brodie is getting bizarre. He has arguably been the Flames' best defenseman for the last handful of games, and is quickly re-establishing himself as the dominant player he was in 15/16.

Try watching him play through a non-biased lens, you might enjoy it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #4917
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I thought Brodie was fantastic last night
Old 11-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #4918
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie was the best dman on the ice last night
Old 11-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #4919
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the only pizza anyone served up last game was Rasmus Andersson

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 11-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #4920
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the only pizza anyone served up last game was Rasmus Andersson
Giordano begs to differ.