Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #4861
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has a UFA ever signed a 5 year contract and then be traded in the first year of his deal? I don't see Neal going anywhere. No one else offered him that contract when he was UFA. Based on his play so far, why would a team change its mind now?
Old 11-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #4862
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Has a UFA ever signed a 5 year contract and then be traded in the first year of his deal? I don't see Neal going anywhere. No one else offered him that contract when he was UFA. Based on his play so far, why would a team change its mind now?
He was signed July 2. Not sure if it's fair to say no one else offered within that short of a time frame. But certainly no one else was as quick to do so, and he grabbed it.

Vanek was signed on the UFA day by Detroit and then dealt at the trading deadline to Fla. Then last year he signed with the Canucks and got dealt at the deadline to Columbus. Those were both one year signings though, not 5.

Ribeiro was bought out after one year of a four year deal.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #4863
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I wonder if BT hasn't reached out to the Rangers and see if there is anything there with Lundqvist. That team is going to be a bottom feeder for a while, and maybe he is looking to try and win a cup before he skates away from the game.

Obviously he would have to want to leave NY for Calgary and that may be a non-starter for him, and there would have to be salary retained on the next couple seasons, so maybe acquisition cost is to high for all that.

Just spit ballin.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #4864
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I wonder if BT hasn't reached out to the Rangers and see if there is anything there with Lundqvist. That team is going to be a bottom feeder for a while, and maybe he is looking to try and win a cup before he skates away from the game.

Obviously he would have to want to leave NY for Calgary and that may be a non-starter for him, and there would have to be salary retained on the next couple seasons, so maybe acquisition cost is to high for all that.

Just spit ballin.
Lundqvist has stated he wants to stay in New York
Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #4865
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Just spit ballin.
Lundqvist is killing me in my fantasy pool. Brad should listen to his wise father

Last edited by Wolfman; 11-16-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-16-2018, 10:41 PM   #4866
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah as I know Lundqvist has already said he wouldn't waive his no trade. I don't think the Rangers would even bother asking if they know he wants to stay. He will retire a ranger and have his number retired.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #4867
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's looking like Oliver Kylington is deserving of a spot in Calgary, if so, who is the odd man/men out?

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Prout - Stone

Last edited by David Struch; 11-17-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #4868
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd like to see Kylington have a full season of excellence in the AHL and then have the Flames revisit this issue in the offseason if Kylington is still kyling it.

Even then, the Flames could send him down to the AHL at the beginning of next season like they did with Andersson this season.

The one thing I wonder about is if the Flames could possibly trade one of their LHD and a RW for a goalie. I'm not sure what James Neal would be worth right now, but Nick Bonino's contract is gruesome and the Predators have approximately $6.9M in cap space. Could the Flames pull off something like this?

Neal ($5.75M) + Kylington ($0.73M) + Smith (25% retained so $3.19M) <-> Bonino ($4.10M) + Saros ($1.50M)

In this deal, the Predators take on $4.07M in salary so they would only have $2.81M in cap space left. But they have a history with Neal and perhaps that history combined with getting Kylington and ridding themselves of Bonino would be enough for them to agree to trade Saros?

It's probably a stupid suggestion
Old 11-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #4869
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

170 AHL games during the past four seasons for Kylington.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #4870
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I'd like to see Kylington have a full season of excellence in the AHL and then have the Flames revisit this issue in the offseason if Kylington is still kyling it.

Even then, the Flames could send him down to the AHL at the beginning of next season like they did with Andersson this season.

The one thing I wonder about is if the Flames could possibly trade one of their LHD and a RW for a goalie. I'm not sure what James Neal would be worth right now, but Nick Bonino's contract is gruesome and the Predators have approximately $6.9M in cap space. Could the Flames pull off something like this?

Neal ($5.75M) + Kylington ($0.73M) + Smith (25% retained so $3.19M) <-> Bonino ($4.10M) + Saros ($1.50M)

In this deal, the Predators take on $4.07M in salary so they would only have $2.81M in cap space left. But they have a history with Neal and perhaps that history combined with getting Kylington and ridding themselves of Bonino would be enough for them to agree to trade Saros?

Why would they trade Saros though?

He is cheap and really good. He is also the future in net for them as He will be an RFA at the same time Rinne's extension expires.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #4871
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How about we don't trade Kylington before figuring out what we have in him? I'm personally sick of having the cost-controlled contract rights for developing players only for other teams to reap the benefits of their prime while our return is underwhelming AF (Savard, Byron, Brossoit, Granlund, St. Louis, Stralman) while we annually overpay UFAs to underperform in the same roles. I get it if the player pulls a Baertschi and requests a trade. I get it if the player you're getting back is the same calibre of prospect that fits a need better. But just packaging picks and prospects for "proven" players is how you hit the cap ceiling and still finish in 20th place.

Also we have no proof Saros is any better than Rittich. Both have been outstanding backups who are unproven in starter roles. Why not see what we have before we salivate over the Jones' version of what we have.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-17-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #4872
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Just spit ballin.
Thats a good idea but how will we fit him in. As it stands right now i dont even know how we will make room for Tkachuk and a goalie. And if Bennett breaks out and deserves anything more than 2 million we will be in trouble.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #4873
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Preds wouldn't like this. The Flames could add the 2019 1st and the 2020 1st. I still doubt the Preds would want to touch this deal with a 10 foot pole.

Neal has a lot of negative value at the moment. Mike Smith probably has no value either. Bonino has negative value, but his contract only has 2 years left after this year.
Kylington is not worth Saros. The Predators are fantastic at developing defensemen. Why would they leave themselves with no future goalie, just to pick up yet another defense prospect?

Saros probably has more trade value than everyone in the Flames organization except Monahan, Tkachuk, Gaudreau and maybe Lindholm.

If I were the Predators (and I am a Preds fan, they're technically my hometown team), I would not trade Saros under any circumstances. It makes zero sense.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #4874
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really do believe the Flames cannot trade Kylington. Gio's not going to be around forever and he's just as valuable to the Flames as any other player in the system. Dare I say at this point probably the best prospect we have not playing in the NHL.

Kylington can easily make Brodie expendable by the end of the year. Big words I know, but that's also how much I believe in the player.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #4875
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sure it's been mention (and I probably called him below average) but maybe Howard is the best option.

He's having a good start, not a great one, but the Flames don't need a great goalie, just not an awful one.

He's UFA at the end of year and a trade would probably help Detroit tank.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #4876
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I'm sure it's been mention (and I probably called him below average) but maybe Howard is the best option.

He's having a good start, not a great one, but the Flames don't need a great goalie, just not an awful one.

He's UFA at the end of year and a trade would probably help Detroit tank.
I like this idea. Trade Smith+ a 2nd? The pick is pretty good for a rental goalie in this day and age.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #4877
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

These are all fair comments. I too love Kylington and his potential has been huge since the Flames drafted him in 2015. I loved the pick then and I love it even more now. But I feel it is okay to pay a big price to get a young, up-and-coming goalie of the future like Andersen or Jones. However, I recognize there are three problems with my proposal: (1) Kylington could be very good, (2) there is no guarantee Saros will be as good as Andersen or Jones and (3) Nashville may not see any point in acquiring a young defenceman when they already have such an excellent blue line.

I cannot dispute Kylington's obvious potential or say if Nashville would ever be interested so I just want to say something about the comparison to Andersen and Jones.

Andersen is not a very good comparison because he had solid seasons of 54 and 43 games under his belt before he was traded to Toronto and Calgary tried to acquire him. I think it's like the Flames are trying to acquire Andersen two years before they actually did if they went after Saros.

However, SJS took a similar risk in acquiring Martin Jones to what I'm proposing. He had seasons of 19 games and 15 games under his belt when SJ acquired him from LA via Boston. Saros has a bigger sample size than Jones did and more consistent numbers.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #4878
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Rasmus can play with Giordano on the top pairing it initially made more sense to me to trade Brodie and bring Kylington up for good.

Brodie has more trade value and his UFA status is coming up next season.

Two problems though, Brodie can play the right side, dunno if you want Kylington doing that as a rookie who is a bit mistake prone. Flames have Valimaki, Gio and Hanifin on the left side already. Also, the expansion draft. Right now they can protect Gio, Hanifin and Andersson. Valimaki should be exempt. Hamonic will be a UFA and they can sneak him through.

Kylington will have to be exposed barring a trade and I think if he gets NHL exposure between now and then he'll be the most likely guy to get picked as the Flames will need to protect 7 forwards in Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Janko and Bennett ( last two are IMO).

Basically our exposed list will be a bunch of older expensive forwards... will lose Kylington or Mangiapane probably. Doesn't make sense to spend a ton of development on them.

Those two are the most valuable trade assets outside the roster... probably won't bring back much but I think they can get an AHL starter and roll the dice.

A guy like Tristan Jarry is a good gamble for one of them. Or package them both with the first and change for Corey Crawford.

The options that sportsnet article is suggesting are horrible... the habs AHL guy isn't even good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #4879
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I wouldn’t trade any defense men this year because I wouldn’t feel comfortable with three rookies at once. But if Kylington performs this way over the whole season then I think Brodie will be on his way out this off season.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #4880
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Kylington continues his excellent play in the AHL, the Flames trade Brodie and, presuming Kylington cannot play the right side, are left with:

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone
Kylington

Last edited by Nelson; 11-17-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Closed Thread