Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #4841
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
He's asking why it had to be posted on social media.

My understanding was they called the company and the guy said “she’s 17, blah blah blah”. Where would you take it after that? And why not? Hope it deters more of the toxic neanderthalic behavior.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #4842
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
uhm.
As hard as it is to believe people have been photoshopping her face over adult film actresses who are 'midscene'. I wouldn't be surprised if those were the inspiration for these stickers in the first place.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #4843
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Potato Standing By View Post
So basically you see something distasteful just ignore it and don’t call it out is what you are saying? I thought the best way to end bad behaviour is to call them out on it, not sweep it under the rug and hope it goes away. Or am I misunderstanding you.
Q: What do you tell a kid when their brother/sister is bugging them?

A: Ignore them and they'll stop.

You don't have to make a stink about everything you don't like. This is particularly true when you making a stink could have the exact opposite (and predictable) effect of your desired outcome. If you don't like the message of the sticker, why on God's green earth would you amplify it by posting about it - with the picture, no less - so dramatically more people see it than had you kept your moronic mouth shut? It's really fataing dumb and I'm super pissed this butt-in-ski got a hold of the sticker, took a picture, went to facebook and pecked out a won't-somebody-think-of-the-children post.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #4844
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah not sure how you equate rape to brother/ sister bugging each other but ok.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #4845
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah not sure how you equate rape to brother/ sister bugging each other but ok.
You have to be kidding me.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #4846
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For the record it doesn’t offend me but I do understand that it is offensive and should be called out.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #4847
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
You have to be kidding me.
Well what is it depicting then?
Old 03-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #4848
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
For the record it doesn’t offend me but I do understand that it is offensive and should be called out.
Define "calling out". This message had to be amplified so more people saw it - is that what you're saying? What does calling out accomplish other than exposing more people to an ugly message? If you found the message offensive like the lady who started this did, then what purpose does it serve to post about it so 10s of thousands more people see it?
Old 03-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #4849
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Well what is it depicting then?
It was depicting statutory rape at a minimum and forceful rape at a maximum. Either way it's gross.

You had asked what the alternative was to "calling them out" (still not sure what you mean by this, nor what you expect this strategy to accomplish). I said ignoring it was the better alternative.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #4850
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Define "calling out". This message had to be amplified so more people saw it - is that what you're saying? What does calling out accomplish other than exposing more people to an ugly message? If you found the message offensive like the lady who started this did, then what purpose does it serve to post about it so 10s of thousands more people see it?
So that everyone knows what kind of ####faces work at xsite energy?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #4851
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good chance those guys killed their business. No producer is going to want their trucks associated with them. In the end a sticker probably cost them their company.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #4852
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So if you ignore it said company will just continue to do it. Now they probably won’t and other companies may think twice before replicating it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #4853
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fine with it being called out on social media. The company played a stupid game by posting these publically on their vehicles or whatever. They knew exactly what they were doing.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #4854
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
So that everyone knows what kind of ####faces work at xsite energy?
Okay, meanwhile all of Canada and god knows where else think Albertans are a bunch of trashy morons. All so we can call out a company with probably like 10 employees. Yay us?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #4855
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They used it as advertisement, it was bound to hit social media either way. Better it be called out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #4856
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, meanwhile all of Canada and god knows where else think Albertans are a bunch of trashy morons. All so we can call out a company with probably like 10 employees. Yay us?
I mean Alberta already has that reputation on the internet before this even happened.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #4857
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Honestly that sticker is tame compared to many of the memes I have seen circulating. Let's not pretend that this is something isolated.
This is probably what annoys me most about this situation. The sticker makes the news, but what Albertan is surprised by it? Sure sure, we all condemn this sort of stuff, blah blah. The fact is, the attitude that encourages this sort of thing is everywhere, from some inane comments about Greta on this message board (always done with the excuse “well she wants to act like an adult so I will treat her like one!”) right up to the conduct of our current government.

This sticker is representative of thousands of Albertans. Nice that someone took a shot in the arm for it, but nothing changes.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #4858
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Fortunately it's only this one company and doesn't reflect on the industry at all.

Definitely not members of the same industry that would make a target out of the sitting premier's face at a golf invitational days after a female british MP was assassinated.

Golf ball dodged on this one.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #4859
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately, I'm sure this sticker incident will add to the already existing negative conservative / 'redneck' image that many people outside of Alberta already have of us. People will judge us and our entire industry by one dumb company's actions. You'd hope that wouldn't be the case, but I don't think many people can, or will, separate the two.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #4860
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The industry and public needs to call out all these idiots. If you have friends or family who do this stuff, call them out too.

It's fine if you want to privately think these things but I honestly think you need to act like you're representing your employer, industry, family, friends, etc. every time you say or do something publicly. You can't hide behind "opinions are my own and not my employers" when you say things on social media. Everyone in your organization is your marketing department these days and if you have a person making a fool of themselves and letting people know they work for you (LinkedIn), you need to sit them down and let me know it's not tolerated and could cost them their jobs. It sounds harsh but it's the reality we live in now.

This made the news a few years ago so Alberta already has a reputation for stupidity. It sucks, but it's everyone in the industry's job to help change the perception.

NSFW!
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote