Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2024, 05:26 AM   #4801
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
There's a break in the weather and the sun is out. If you did your shoveling earlier, it's all melted now. If you're Troutman, then the snow is super heavy now.
I’ve been shoveling at 6:30 each morning but if you are at work all day the snow falling during the day gets packed down.

You would have to be retired or work from home to keep up.

Last edited by troutman; 03-22-2024 at 05:31 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:55 AM   #4802
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish it was hotter

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:00 AM   #4803
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
My wife is not at all impressed with my antics in these conditions. I think it's awesome (and have tried to explain to her that screwing around potentially gives you tried and tested skills if you're in a situation where you need them!).

I've always advocated for this. You need to have some experience with something before you need that experience in a dangerous situation. I've always felt that every family member who drives should take every vehicle they drive to an empty parking lot and "practice emergency loss of traction events", so that they know what it feels like TO lose traction, what to do when it happens, and how their specific vehicle reacts. And they should do this every winter.

I won't say that such info has saved my life, but it's made the few times I've needed it much less hairy, and it's made me a better, more confident winter driver, and driver overall.

I feel that this kind of training should be mandatory as part of a driver's ed course (which should also be mandatory).

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 03-22-2024 at 11:38 AM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 09:27 AM   #4804
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I feel that this kind of training should be mandatory as part of a driver's ed course (which should also be mandatory).
My wife took the AMA drivers course during the winter. One day they took her out to a big tarmac like area just outside the city and had her do these maneuvers. Doing that, plus the rest of the training, really took the fear of winter driving out of her. I'd highly recommend it!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 09:42 AM   #4805
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I've always advocated for this. You need to have some experience with something before you need that experience in a dangerous situation. I've always felt that every family member who drives should take every vehicle they drive to an empty parking lot and "practice emergency loss of traction events", so that they know what it feels like TO lose traction, what to do when it happens,. and how their specific vehicle reacts. And they should do this every winter.

I won't say that such info has saved my life, but it's made the few times I've needed it much less hairy, and it's made me a better, more confident winter driver, and driver overall.

I did this with both my kids.

We went to a neighbourhood near us that had roads but houses weren't built yet.

After a big snow we went out and they saw & felt what ice & snow can do to a vehicle. They also learned that if they do the right things in a vehicle they don't need to be scared to drive in this weather.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:53 AM   #4806
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just want to say that the snow at Sunshine yesterday was fantastic! Well worth the somewhat crappy highways to get there.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:59 AM   #4807
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
My wife took the AMA drivers course during the winter. One day they took her out to a big tarmac like area just outside the city and had her do these maneuvers. Doing that, plus the rest of the training, really took the fear of winter driving out of her. I'd highly recommend it!
Way back when this geezer got my license (1996), I got taken to a dirt lot near the airport and got to drive in the "skid car". It was basically an old POS and the instructor had a dial that would turn the back wheels, effectively throwing you into a spin/skid. Fun, and actually a good skill to learn in a controlled environment.

The "school" is long gone, but it was "A Driving School" on Parkdale Blvd. There was a discount because one of my teachers at high school was a co-owner or something. Old, wood panelled office/classroom. The old Dodge Shadow that I did my regular lessons in was in horrible condition, and the brakes even went limp going down one of those now-closed roads (because they are so steep) in Crescent Heights heading down to Edmonton Trail, and required frantic pumping to bring them back.

Instructor was a massive, old slob. He would make me stop at 7-Eleven, he would disappear for 10 minutes to take a dump, and come out with two hot dogs for himself. The garbage wold be thrown in the vacant back seat along with a bunch of old ones. It was in the heat of the summer, and he would wear the same green, sweat-stained shirt each day, which has developed a faint, salty outline of the previous days' sweat.

Sorry - as soon as I remembered the skid car I couldn't stop myself.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 10:04 AM   #4808
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
When was that? Because I had the same training on a snowy tarmac back in the late 80s, but the training my son just took didn’t. In fact, they cancelled all of the training sessions that were on snowy days. Which I felt kinda defeated the purpose of taking driver training in winter.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:41 PM   #4809
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Way back when this geezer got my license (1996), I got taken to a dirt lot near the airport and got to drive in the "skid car". It was basically an old POS and the instructor had a dial that would turn the back wheels, effectively throwing you into a spin/skid. Fun, and actually a good skill to learn in a controlled environment.

The "school" is long gone, but it was "A Driving School" on Parkdale Blvd. There was a discount because one of my teachers at high school was a co-owner or something. Old, wood panelled office/classroom. The old Dodge Shadow that I did my regular lessons in was in horrible condition, and the brakes even went limp going down one of those now-closed roads (because they are so steep) in Crescent Heights heading down to Edmonton Trail, and required frantic pumping to bring them back.

[...]

Sorry - as soon as I remembered the skid car I couldn't stop myself.
Wow, that brings me back too... I couldn't remember exactly the name of the 'school' I'd done my driver's ed at, but it was in that neck of the woods. The description of "old, wood-panelled office/classroom" definitely matched up. It reeked of cigarette smoke too, like so many other places of business did in those days, haha.

That said rather than having to endure a plebeian Dodge Shadow I had the privilege of 'learning' in a Neon.

Alas, I did some googling and figured out the driving school I went to was "Foothills Driving School", which was in Montgomery on the corner of Bowness Road and 45th St. Snooping on Streetview shows that they'd moved or gone belly-up some time between April 2009 and May 2012.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 02:28 PM   #4810
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I've spent some time in a skid car and it's both great fun and a great skillset. Parking lot donuts check the fun box, I did some today at Canadian Tire, but they're not quite the same as losing the rear end on the highway. The skid car is a much better simulation of "just driving along and the rear end kicked out" vs. cranking the wheel and flooring it.

That said, I probably use my winter driving confidence to go faster than I should so I'm not sure I'm a "safer" driver because of it
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 02:52 PM   #4811
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
When was that? Because I had the same training on a snowy tarmac back in the late 80s, but the training my son just took didn’t. In fact, they cancelled all of the training sessions that were on snowy days. Which I felt kinda defeated the purpose of taking driver training in winter.
Winter 2020/2021. My wife never felt the need to drive until the pandemic. It was actively snowing during multiple training sessions so that's wild to me that they canceled on your son. Maybe someone got in a bad accident in the last couple years and ruined it for everyone else .

Last edited by Mazrim; 03-22-2024 at 02:56 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 02:54 PM   #4812
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Had a fun skid at ~120kph on the highway back from the ski hill yesterday. Thankfully controlled it and got traction back but could have been bad.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:08 PM   #4813
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Had a fun skid at ~120kph on the highway back from the ski hill yesterday. Thankfully controlled it and got traction back but could have been bad.
Where on hwy 1 where you?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:09 PM   #4814
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Wow, that brings me back too... I couldn't remember exactly the name of the 'school' I'd done my driver's ed at, but it was in that neck of the woods. The description of "old, wood-panelled office/classroom" definitely matched up. It reeked of cigarette smoke too, like so many other places of business did in those days, haha.

That said rather than having to endure a plebeian Dodge Shadow I had the privilege of 'learning' in a Neon.

Alas, I did some googling and figured out the driving school I went to was "Foothills Driving School", which was in Montgomery on the corner of Bowness Road and 45th St. Snooping on Streetview shows that they'd moved or gone belly-up some time between April 2009 and May 2012.
Not too far away, and very similar sounding. I just looked it up and it was in the building at 3412 3 Avenue NW. I knew that Bowness Road, Parkdale Blvd. and Memorial have some ambiguity around there, but I had no idea a segment was also called simply “3rd Avenue NW”.

“Dank Cannabis” now occupies the spot, next to LICS Ice Cream, Avatara Pizza, and a corner shop. Good times.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 05:02 PM   #4815
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Where on hwy 1 where you?
All over it.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:45 PM   #4816
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
So, you gonna just brush it off, or take the cautionary wisdom to slow down in conditions like these?

There are plenty of people still driving like it's dry out there. Hopefully they can figure it out without dire consequences needed.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 06:24 PM   #4817
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
So, you gonna just brush it off, or take the cautionary wisdom to slow down in conditions like these?

There are plenty of people still driving like it's dry out there. Hopefully they can figure it out without dire consequences needed.
Well obviously I'm just going to brush it off because I'm the greatest driver ever.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 11:11 PM   #4818
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not too far away, and very similar sounding. I just looked it up and it was in the building at 3412 3 Avenue NW. I knew that Bowness Road, Parkdale Blvd. and Memorial have some ambiguity around there, but I had no idea a segment was also called simply “3rd Avenue NW”.

“Dank Cannabis” now occupies the spot, next to LICS Ice Cream, Avatara Pizza, and a corner shop. Good times.
I was trying to remember where that driving school would have been, and figured it had to be in that little plaza by Lic's. Yes, technically it's 3rd Ave at that point; 'tis very silly that that road changes names so many times.

Coincidentally the Foothills Driving School location is also now a cannabis shop.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2024, 08:30 AM   #4819
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I was trying to remember where that driving school would have been, and figured it had to be in that little plaza by Lic's. Yes, technically it's 3rd Ave at that point; 'tis very silly that that road changes names so many times.

Coincidentally the Foothills Driving School location is also now a cannabis shop.
Simultaneously?

That could be interesting. A toke for the road?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:23 AM   #4820
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I'm officially done with this ####. Flame thrower time.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote