Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #461
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
why?
A few reasons. First and foremost, I want to go up north to work this winter, and I have to pass a drug test. Can't do that with a years worth of consistent smoking in my fat cells.

Secondly, I am noticeably duller after the high wears off. I sound like an idiot. Trouble stringing proper sentences together and the like.

I really don't have anyone to smoke with; my girlfriend doesn't, my friends don't, and it's getting old only doing this by myself. Add to that, when I am high and around sober friends, it's very easy to see that they're weirded out by the transformation, even though I'm having a blast.

Basically, at this stage of my life, I need to give it up because I feel that it doesn't increase my chances of being a successful adult. Right now, it feels like it's hurting them.

So that's basically why
Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #462
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
A few reasons. First and foremost, I want to go up north to work this winter, and I have to pass a drug test. Can't do that with a years worth of consistent smoking in my fat cells.

Secondly, I am noticeably duller after the high wears off. I sound like an idiot. Trouble stringing proper sentences together and the like.

I really don't have anyone to smoke with; my girlfriend doesn't, my friends don't, and it's getting old only doing this by myself. Add to that, when I am high and around sober friends, it's very easy to see that they're weirded out by the transformation, even though I'm having a blast.

Basically, at this stage of my life, I need to give it up because I feel that it doesn't increase my chances of being a successful adult. Right now, it feels like it's hurting them.

So that's basically why
But I thought weed was 100% harmless, has zero ill effects, cured AIDS and cancer, made you smarter, and will never have one single solitary negative effect on your health or body ever in the history of ever.....

At least that is what every chronic user tells me.

Good job man, smart call. And yes, you are right. This will help you 'grow up'.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #463
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
But I thought weed was 100% harmless, has zero ill effects, cured AIDS and cancer, made you smarter, and will never have one single solitary negative effect on your health or body ever in the history of ever.....

At least that is what every chronic user tells me.

Good job man, smart call. And yes, you are right. This will help you 'grow up'.
It isn't the miracle its biggest supporters say it is, and I would've counted myself Among them until recently. But there's still no reason for it to be an illegal substance.

But that's not the point here; thank you for The support mate.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #464
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Just read through this entire thread. I had seen it pop up from time to time since it started but never came in.

I have been smoking since I was 12 or 13, so 23-24 years now. I have quit a couple times, once for a year or so when my son was born 6 years ago, an another time for about 6 months some time after my daughter was born almost 4 years ago.

I have been wanting to quit for good, but had been making excuses about when to do it. I know thatsetting a date isn't the most practical thing becuas ethere will always be excuses, but i went ahead and did it anyway, though I left it somewhat vague so I would have control.

I said I would quit when we got back from vacation. We got back yesterday and my kids rememebered that I had said that. I said that last night was it, regardless of how many I had left.

Last night at 10:45PM I took one smoke out of the pack, took the remaining six and broke them and threw them in the garbage, went outside, smoked the last one.

Wish me luck, it's been almost 14 hours, straight cold turkey. I haven't accomplished much at work today, other than read this thread, download an app and debate buying the book that has been suggested.

I am going to pass on the book as the quitting hasn't been that hard in the past, it's the stupid insistance that after a while I would be okay to smoke just when I am drinking. This time it's for real. I am going to go home tonight and have a few beers right away and face that head on now while it's at its worst.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #465
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

good luck man!

I have had some cravings lately because it has been pretty hectic at work, but I won't give in. 14 months now.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #466
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was camping 2 weekends ago, and the buddy with me was a smoker. It was a really easy time to cave. Beer, campfire, drunk.... I almost said "Just one". Then it just hit me, how hard is it to simply not put that paper tube in my mouth? And I just said no thanks.

Breaking it down to the simple action of declining to hold a paper tube and suck on it, makes it so much easier than thinking of all the complex addiction and craving issues. I basically just mentally berate myself for even considering it. "What are you? Some sort of pussay that can't control your weaknesses?" It has worked for 2 and a half years.

Good luck man. You can do this. Think of the fact that by suffering now, you will add an average of 7 years to your life, to enjoy with your children.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #467
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have been five years without chew now after trying to quit thousands of times.

I know it sounds obvious but the biggest thing I learned this time, the successful time, is what you are talking about Pylon....there can never...ever...ever be a "just one".

You are done...just be done.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #468
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

14 months for me now as well...

When I think about having a smoke (rarely now, mostly after having a drink), I just remind myself that if I've come so far, why would I throw it all away now?

This method can apply for any length of time, a day, a month, a year etc.

This is what I found gives me the most reasurrance not to slip.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #469
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yesterday was my 6 month mark. Feels great!
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #470
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Yesterday was my 6 month mark. Feels great!
Congrats man!
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #471
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Coming up on 36 hours.... yesterday was hard, until..... My wife had taken my kids down the street to play with the neighbour kids. She was talking with her friend/their parent and she mentioned "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" and lent her copy to me.

I started reading it at bed time and have continued on this morning. Halfway done the book and the cravings are miniscule at best. The book is amazing.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #472
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I would suggest exercising to help take your mind off of the habitual hand movements to even just hold a cigarette. Your body is used to the repetitive hand motions you've used for so many years, it's time to switch that up.

Also, exercise releases endorphin after you are done and makes your body feel good; smoking for many people after a workout seems gross and makes you feel like you've done all that hard work for nothing.

Keep busy and keep preoccupied, zukes! Keep up the hard work!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #473
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good job guys. This thread is full of a lot of impact statements.

I quit almost 9 months ago. I owe it to a friend. There is no way I could have done it without him. We were out with friends about one week after I quit. I almost caved- I wanted to. He didn't let me.

I feel better. I feel healthier. I don't cough badly or uncontrollably anymore.

In my suggestions, don't hang out around smokers for the first few weeks after you quit and make sure everyone knows you are serious about it. It's so easy to have one drag and fall back into it, as we all know.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krynski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #474
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I would suggest exercising to help take your mind off of the habitual hand movements to even just hold a cigarette. Your body is used to the repetitive hand motions you've used for so many years, it's time to switch that up.

Also, exercise releases endorphin after you are done and makes your body feel good; smoking for many people after a workout seems gross and makes you feel like you've done all that hard work for nothing.

Keep busy and keep preoccupied, zukes! Keep up the hard work!

Bang on...once you start working out you will see your body change physically it will motivate you even more. It will give you more energy and offset the weight you are suppose to gain from quitting...actually quitting is a bad word to use since you aren't quitting but beginning a new style of living. 20 months for me and don't regret it one bit.
AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #475
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm at 14 days today without a smoke after smoking for the better part of 15 years.

My doctor prescribed me both Zyban and Champix at the same time and combined with an e-cig I have been able to kick it and it's great. No coughing when I get up in the morning. My 2 year old doesn't say "Daddy's stinky" when I pick her up after I get home from work anymore and there are a few extra dollars in my wallet.

Hooray for not smoking!
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #476
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Past the magical 72 hour mark last night, even had a 6 pack of beer last night and the cravings are all but gone. The book really helps put your mind in the right place about what the "cravings" are and what to think of them as which really helps you deal.

A few things I have noticed already.

- My energy levels are way up, I get this feeling in my legs and it feels at first like they are tired, but it's the exact opposite, they feel awesome. I suspect it's better circulation already.

- I have always had a very healthy sex drive, but holy crap, I am amped!

- When I sneeze or cough, already there is a change, there is not a whole bunch of crap coming up with them.

- Other times I have quit, I have had trouble sleeping, this time, nothing of the sort. I know that I am not going to smoke again, so it takes that out of the equation. I did wake up a couple times last night, but that was more having to get rid of the beer that I drank.

I am a non-smoker.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #477
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Past the magical 72 hour mark last night, even had a 6 pack of beer last night and the cravings are all but gone. The book really helps put your mind in the right place about what the "cravings" are and what to think of them as which really helps you deal.

A few things I have noticed already.

- My energy levels are way up, I get this feeling in my legs and it feels at first like they are tired, but it's the exact opposite, they feel awesome. I suspect it's better circulation already.

- I have always had a very healthy sex drive, but holy crap, I am amped!

- When I sneeze or cough, already there is a change, there is not a whole bunch of crap coming up with them.

- Other times I have quit, I have had trouble sleeping, this time, nothing of the sort. I know that I am not going to smoke again, so it takes that out of the equation. I did wake up a couple times last night, but that was more having to get rid of the beer that I drank.

I am a non-smoker.
Next phase is smoking in your dreams and waking up all pissed that you caved....enjoy!
AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMG_G For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #478
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_G View Post
Next phase is smoking in your dreams and waking up all pissed that you caved....enjoy!
Hah! too true!!! I remember doing this quite often.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #479
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today is my 9 month mark of being smoke free.
17 years of smoking. 15 of those being a pack a day, and the longest I've ever gone without one before was 6 months.

Maybe it's because they're now a little older, or maybe it's because I just don't stink anymore, but my kids hug and kiss me way more often and that alone has made this very worthwhile.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #480
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Well, I took the plunge.

Smoked my last cigarette last night and have vowed it will be my last.

I told my kids before they went to bed that I would be quitting and they were strangely quiet about it. After my wife tucked them in she told me how excited they were. When I came home today my youngest asked me right away if I had smoked today.
It's become quite clear to me in just one day how much my family has no appetite for me selfishly risking my health.

It might be a tough battle for a while but I already know who will win this one.

ME!

Last edited by prarieboy; 09-06-2013 at 06:47 PM.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post: