Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #4761
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Apparently, the two women’s single finalists are ranked 73rd and 150th in the world. Anyone know if any final has ever had lower rankings? I imagine they have had lower.
Kim Clijsters wasn't even ranked when she won the 2009 US Open coming back from retirement, so she would have been like #1,000 at least.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #4762
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

This ladies doubles match (Stefanowksi vs. Gauff/McNally) is pretty darn good. Opening set tie-break is required.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #4763
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh no, Stefani just took a tumble and it does not look good at all.

Edit: Right knee buckled as she tried to plant.

Edit 2: This match is likely over, Luisa can't put any weight on that right leg.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 09-10-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #4764
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Leylah captures the title tomorrow, but more that that I hope that she becomes a top 5 womens player and stays there consistently. Bianca seemed poised to become a consistent threat at major tournaments since winning the US Open 2 years ago, but injuries have hampered her since then. Before that, it seemed that Eugenie was going to become that player, but she fizzled out since her finals appearance at Wimbledon.

It just seems like there hasn't been a consistently dominant player in the women's game since Serena. I'm not sure that a nonstop rotating door of newcomers headlining major finals is a good thing for the game.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #4765
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

That looks awful. Knees shouldn't bend that way.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #4766
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

No official announcement yet, medical evaluation off-court, but short of Mr. Miyagi making an appearance, this match is over.

Edit: There it is, retirement by Dabrowski/Stefani - Such a shame.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 09-10-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #4767
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wishing her a speedy & full recovery.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #4768
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I hope Leylah captures the title tomorrow, but more that that I hope that she becomes a top 5 womens player and stays there consistently. Bianca seemed poised to become a consistent threat at major tournaments since winning the US Open 2 years ago, but injuries have hampered her since then. Before that, it seemed that Eugenie was going to become that player, but she fizzled out since her finals appearance at Wimbledon.

It just seems like there hasn't been a consistently dominant player in the women's game since Serena. I'm not sure that a nonstop rotating door of newcomers headlining major finals is a good thing for the game.
Ash Barty was having a pretty good 2021 and just kind of fell apart against Shelby Rogers here at the US Open. There are a number of good, young players in the game including Iga Swiatek and Coco Gauff along with Leylah and Raducanu. Sabalenka is only 23 and is ranked #2, in all honesty, I thought the women's game was pretty boring was Serena was so dominant, my attitude was "why tune in when you know who's going to win" now it's great entertainment because the players realize they have a chance at a major.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #4769
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well sure, maybe someone as dominant as Serena kind of ruins the suspense, but wouldn't it be a good thing for there to be some players who at least make it to major semifinals on a somewhat consistent basis? It doesn't seem like the womens game has had anyone like that for a long time.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #4770
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Well sure, maybe someone as dominant as Serena kind of ruins the suspense, but wouldn't it be a good thing for there to be some players who at least make it to major semifinals on a somewhat consistent basis? It doesn't seem like the womens game has had anyone like that for a long time.
Serena up until 2020 was making quite a few finals, she just wasn't able to win any of those finals. I think you are right that nobody has stepped up to Serena's level to dominate, but Ash Barty was starting to make some noise until she got derailed here at the US Open. As I mentioned in my earlier post, there are several young players coming up, I think we just have to wait and see if somebody can take charge (my guess is that it's going to be tough as all these players are very close).
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #4771
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felix with a shaky first service game, but the forehand looks good.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #4772
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Kim Clijsters wasn't even ranked when she won the 2009 US Open coming back from retirement, so she would have been like #1,000 at least.
I was sure that a lower-ranked player had made it this far but I was more interested in both finals players being this low.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #4773
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That service game looked great. Even the drop shot was fine. Have to put it in Daniil's head that that might happen anytime, even though he's fully capable of getting up to them he can't just get comfortable back there or this is going to be even tougher.

EDIT: I jinxed him.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 09-10-2021 at 01:44 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #4774
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sirens and alarms bells going off in the background as Medvedev breaks at love.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #4775
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh boy. Medvedev making the defensive game look effortless. Felix got a little rattled/impatient and went for too much on his aggressive shots.

He needs to Leylah right now and not let it rattle him.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:50 PM   #4776
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really incredible that Medvedev who is 6'6" tall can move that quickly.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #4777
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felix did everything you could realistically expect to try to break him there but there was just nothing that could be done. If he serves like this you have to be perfect on your own serve and that's a tall order for anyone much less Felix.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #4778
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One bad game and Medvedev bounced on it. Hopefully his level falls a little bit in the 2nd set.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:56 PM   #4779
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A tad too predictable from Felix despite a solid showing thus far. If you're going to take down, Medvedev or Novak for that matter, you're going to need to mix in a few more slices, net approaches and drops to disrupt the their rhythm. He can still win this, but he's got to find a bit more in a hurry.

Despite all of this, he's continuing to play at a top 10 level this hardcourt season, against some serious competition, which you have to love to see.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 09-10-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #4780
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is encouraging to see Felix winning some of these longer baseline rallies.