Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #4761
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #4762
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Splinter Cell remake being developed! Looking forward to it.

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/artic...bisoft-toronto
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #4763
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Splinter Cell remake being developed! Looking forward to it.

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/artic...bisoft-toronto
Modern Ubisoft will absolutely screw this up somehow, I wouldn't get too excited.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #4764
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Modern Ubisoft will absolutely screw this up somehow, I wouldn't get too excited.
They're going to NFT the all mighty hell out of it.

"Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher" NFT where people pay for Michael Ironside to voice parts of the game or some !@#$
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:49 PM   #4765
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1471168482284818435
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:17 AM   #4766
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished Guardians of the Galaxy tonight and I really enjoyed it.

Great story, fun yet not overly complex gameplay, and even though I was a bit turned off that you’d only play as Star Lord as first they way the implemented that was well done.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #4767
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Epic Store sale is live. $14 off every game. And lots of games have been discounted by 20-30% already. I've seen lots of feedback about how people (mostly on Reddit) dislike the Epic Store because of the exclusivity deals they make, but their sales are incredible. Prices are so low that it feels like they've been made in error.

And they just added a cart function and each item in the cart can have the $14 applied. Madness!
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #4768
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Really enjoying Halo Infinite's campaign so far. If I had one complaint it's that I wish marines would load up into spare ghosts or warthogs like in previous games.
I am definitely taking my time with this one so far, but man has it been a great ride. There are some issues with lighting and AI like you noted, however it just really hits on everything I loved about the original Halo games. Really looking forward to seeing how this "ends" considering it is called Infinite.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #4769
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Video Game Thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Epic Store sale is live. $14 off every game. And lots of games have been discounted by 20-30% already. I've seen lots of feedback about how people (mostly on Reddit) dislike the Epic Store because of the exclusivity deals they make, but their sales are incredible. Prices are so low that it feels like they've been made in error.

And they just added a cart function and each item in the cart can have the $14 applied. Madness!

And these sales and free games is all they ever needed. Instead they got greedy and turned many people off.

I have no problem waiting for a game to drop in price or show up on Game Pass rather than give Epic Store a cent. I’ll probably end up playing Alan Wake 2 on PS5 because it going to any other PC client is unlikely with Epic publishing it.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #4770
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Man Sea of Stars looks amazing.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #4771
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I am definitely taking my time with this one so far, but man has it been a great ride. There are some issues with lighting and AI like you noted, however it just really hits on everything I loved about the original Halo games. Really looking forward to seeing how this "ends" considering it is called Infinite.
343 announced this game will be evolving for 10 years, so it'll be around for a while.

Campaign has been great so far, as you I have been taking my time but have had a few bugs show up.

Once the screen locked during a bunch of explosions. Read that this isn't uncommon, it has only occurred once and for maybe 2 seconds.

I have the grapple hook fully upgraded and like taking out most groups with grappling and smashing. 3 times now the smash clipped me out of the map, twice I ended up underneath the level but didn't fall to death. Had to fall on a grenade to get out. Once I was stuck in a wall, the camera went into 3rd person for a minute, and then automatically restarted me back at the last saved checkpoint.

The only other bug, was fighting the monitor boss on top of the spire, halfway through I couldn't switch weapons, fire, or pick anything up. Was easy pickings at that point. Have yet to retry that mission.

Nothing gamebreaking, but a few bumps here and there. I'm on PC btw.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #4772
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Battlefield 2042 is free to play this weekend for anyone interested in trying it after the recent patches before deciding to buy. They've added 64 player modes too which some people seem to like.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #4773
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

My analogue pre order was group b, Q4 2022. Cancelled , lol
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #4774
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably could have kept it just to sell.

Getting good reviews and with the general orders now all set to 2023 it will probably be a in-demand in Q4 2022 still.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:06 PM   #4775
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quick update on a few games I’ve been playing lately:

Deathloop- Took me forever to understand the gameplay loop (pardon the pun), but once I got advice on here to focus on the arsenal leads the game started to make a lot more sense.

It’s a fun game, but I am shocked at the critical reception it received. I had high hopes after seeing all of the perfect review scores and game of the year nominations, but this one fell a bit flat for me compared to other Sony exclusives.

The developers give you lots of options on how to attack each level, but you are never forced to actually switch up your strategy. The game acts like it’s going to be this massive sandbox for taking down the visionaries, but at the end of the day it is actually quite linear. The make it super complicated too with such a clunky UI.

The story felt like a bit of a mess to me too. I can appreciate what they were going for, but so much of the story is told through picking up transcripts and audio logs I felt like I never really had a good grasp on what was happening.

Gameplay is tight, the art direction is interesting, but this is more of a 8/10 for me. I would recommend picking it up on sale if you can. Fun game but, far from game of the year.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Picked this up for $25 dollars on an Amazon sale and thought I would give it a try. I’ve never watched the movies and am pretty far removed from the Marvel universe in general, but this was a fun game.

Pretty typical action/adventure game that has some fun dialogue choices to make. The soundtrack is great. I found it refreshing to play through a relatively quick single player campaign. Not very polished, but I still had fun. If you are a Marvel fan or an action/adventure fan it’s worth checking out even if it isn’t anything groundbreaking.

Halo Infinte - I’m only about 25% into the campaign I would guess, but it’s been a ton of fun so far. Classic Halo feel with an open world structure. The grapple hook is done really well and gives the game a modern feel. You just can’t beat Halo gunplay and physics and the open world only makes those things better.

I’ve never been interested in the lore or storytelling of Halo and this one hasn’t changed that for me. I have to call out the open world though. Every part of this game looks and feels the exact same. You’re either in some spaceship looking corridor or out in the mountains/trees.

I just wish there was more diversity in the open world. Comparing this one to RDR2, Horizon, GTA, Forza, Ghosts of Tsushima, etc it just feels very dated and stale.

Maybe my opinion will change the more I play, but I don’t think this a game of the year contender for myself either.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
JMN
Old 12-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #4776
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
It’s a fun game, but I am shocked at the critical reception it received. I had high hopes after seeing all of the perfect review scores and game of the year nominations, but this one fell a bit flat for me compared to other Sony exclusives.
To be fair, it's not a Sony first party game, so comparing it to God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us etc. isn't in the same ballpark.

Oddly enough it's actually a Microsoft first party game that just happens to be a temporary PS exclusive.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #4777
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #4778
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Deathloop- Took me forever to understand the gameplay loop (pardon the pun), but once I got advice on here to focus on the arsenal leads the game started to make a lot more sense.

The developers give you lots of options on how to attack each level, but you are never forced to actually switch up your strategy. The game acts like it’s going to be this massive sandbox for taking down the visionaries, but at the end of the day it is actually quite linear. The make it super complicated too with such a clunky UI.

The story felt like a bit of a mess to me too. I can appreciate what they were going for, but so much of the story is told through picking up transcripts and audio logs I felt like I never really had a good grasp on what was happening.

Gameplay is tight, the art direction is interesting, but this is more of a 8/10 for me. I would recommend picking it up on sale if you can. Fun game but, far from game of the year.
100%

Bought this game because of the critical reception and 10/10 scores and just never resonated with me in that way.

More of an 8/10 game IMO, and personally I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy a lot more than this game.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 12-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #4779
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
To be fair, it's not a Sony first party game, so comparing it to God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us etc. isn't in the same ballpark.

Oddly enough it's actually a Microsoft first party game that just happens to be a temporary PS exclusive.

For sure, but still a PS exclusive and loved by critics just as much as those games if not more.

It just didn’t click with me the way I thought it would. I really did love the art style and parts of the gameplay. It just didn’t come together as a full package for me like it did for other people.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:26 AM   #4780
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For sure, but still a PS exclusive and loved by critics just as much as those games if not more.

It just didn’t click with me the way I thought it would. I really did love the art style and parts of the gameplay. It just didn’t come together as a full package for me like it did for other people.
This will raise some hairs but I personally feel any game that's exclusive to the PS will always get a review score higher than it deserves. It's been this way for generations. I think there's an element of fanboyism in the industry that makes it hard to get truly unbiased reviews of most exclusives whether it be a PS, Xbox, or Nintendo game. Last of Us 2 was nowhere near deserving of its high review scores. Uncharted 3 and 4 were just good games not deserving of 10's or even 9's. I liked Deathloop maybe more than you but I agree it's not GOTY material as it had some pacing issues, AI was bad, and limited environments. It's a good start though and I could see a sequel being a lot better if they add more variety and clean some things up. Would it have reviewed as high if it was released on all platforms? I doubt it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote