Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2023, 11:42 PM   #4721
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good winter cycling jacket?

Priorities for me are waterproofing and visibility, with warmth being a distant third factor.

So far have been looking at Endura and ProViz lines, but it's hard to tell anything online, so am curious whether anyone has direct experience with a jacket they really like.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:27 AM   #4722
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post

Priorities for me are waterproofing and visibility, with warmth being a distant third factor.

So far have been looking at Endura and ProViz lines, but it's hard to tell anything online, so am curious whether anyone has direct experience with a jacket they really like.

I wear an old teal raincoat from mountain hardware. Let's me pick the layer under depending on the weather. Big enough to cover my back when I bend forward. Waterproof and windproof for any weather. Doesn't bother me if it gets dirty. It's the best.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2023, 07:06 AM   #4723
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still rocking my old MEC bike jacket year round, I just layer up underneath.

I guess it would be the older version of this one: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6017-1...lour=Deep+Navy
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2023, 08:57 AM   #4724
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just use a windproof 7mesh shell as a top layer in winter (bought on super sale, not worth the $400.00 MSRP in my opinion) and adjust underneath as needed. at -20 a base layer, long-sleeved jersey, and wind proof shell are fine, first 5 mins is cold but once you start generating heat it's fine.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:02 AM   #4725
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

It looks like its time to build my first winter bike.

The plan is to take a Trek gravel bike and set it up with the right winter tires. It would have to be tubeless since Trek has installed a plastic rim insert into the wheels which prevent me from using tubes.

Does anybody have recommendations on a winter tire that they have had good experience with in Calgary? I have a stock 40mm gravel tire but I'm concerned it might slip on snowor ice. Go studded?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 10:09 AM   #4726
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It looks like its time to build my first winter bike.

The plan is to take a Trek gravel bike and set it up with the right winter tires. It would have to be tubeless since Trek has installed a plastic rim insert into the wheels which prevent me from using tubes.

Does anybody have recommendations on a winter tire that they have had good experience with in Calgary? I have a stock 40mm gravel tire but I'm concerned it might slip on snowor ice. Go studded?
I have a pair of Schwalbe Snow Studded tires. 700x38c. They are in good shape. You can have them if you like.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2023, 10:12 AM   #4727
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the Schawlbe studded. I'd recommend looking at a cheapish wheel set if you are all-seasoning the bike. Winter riding is really hard on the drivetrain, so I like to have a winter set so you can have a better cassette for summer. I often put a new chain on in the summer, too. If it's just for winter, to need to worry.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2023, 11:18 AM   #4728
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I use the Schawlbe studded. I'd recommend looking at a cheapish wheel set if you are all-seasoning the bike. Winter riding is really hard on the drivetrain, so I like to have a winter set so you can have a better cassette for summer. I often put a new chain on in the summer, too. If it's just for winter, to need to worry.
Good tip. I was going to try the chain waxing in a crockpot method for winter but chains are cheap enough to have a summer one. For cassettes, I have an 11-34t 105 cassette on the back right now but I could definitely put a cheaper cassette on there for winter. The rest of the drivetrain is GRX and I would just ensure I wash the drivetrain regularly in the winter? The wheels should be pretty robust but having a second wheelset is just for convenience of swapping?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 12:10 PM   #4729
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've tried the chain waxing, it's OK, but I find in the really cold it flakes off and gums stuff up. Too much effort to be worth it, so I just use a mix of wet and dry lube, which is also supposedly a no-no but seems to work well enoguh for what I have to ride through.

Definitely wash whenever you can. Chinooks are my friend for that. A second wheelset is convenient. For me a big part of it was rim brakes eating through rims in the winter, so I'd be buying sets anyway. Having a clean summer set and an inevitably grimy winter se worked for me, but I also have cheap 26" wheels I could get for $50 or so at the time. I upgraded to disc, so that rim eating issue is better. Maybe not a concern where you ride, but I had a big downhill both directions, and salty grit on brake pads eats them fast.
Old 10-13-2023, 12:12 PM   #4730
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Good tip. I was going to try the chain waxing in a crockpot method for winter but chains are cheap enough to have a summer one. For cassettes, I have an 11-34t 105 cassette on the back right now but I could definitely put a cheaper cassette on there for winter. The rest of the drivetrain is GRX and I would just ensure I wash the drivetrain regularly in the winter? The wheels should be pretty robust but having a second wheelset is just for convenience of swapping?
I just accept that I'm going to replace my wheel bearings in the spring, they are like $20.00 just keep spoke holes from salting up, dry snow isn't that hard on your bike, it's the wet slush
Old 10-13-2023, 12:57 PM   #4731
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over the years I've gotten lazier and lazier about cleaning the winter bike. I mainly just try to keep the chain in decent shape and well lubricated.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2023, 08:29 PM   #4732
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post

You don't need to spend a lot... and odds are you may need two jackets.
I have a simple running jacket with the drop-butt and arm-pit zips. Keeps the wind off and breathes well when needed, plus I can do layers underneath. Easily takes me to 10 to -15'ish.

Below that I grab my Gore winter jacket which is incredible overall (and $$). You can find old stock or lightly used if you look otherwise it's more $$$.

Don't be afraid of buy Amazon or AliExpress "winter" jackets and bib shorts (knickers or full length) and then layer appropriately over them.
Also highly recommended are arm warmers, leg warmers, toe warmers, and full-cover booties. If the budget allows get another set of shoes at least 1 size larger so you can a) add an extra insole and b) wear an extra pair of thin socks.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2023, 09:19 PM   #4733
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bike commuting home yesterday for what may be the last day that’s warm enough at 5pm to only have your riding shorts and short sleeve on. Felt like a mid Aug day with how busy it was out there on the paths. Idiots included. Sigh…

I’ll bet WBC will be a bike-zoo of humanity all getting their last dry-ish dirt fix.
Old 10-21-2023, 02:51 PM   #4734
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

City council in Penticton, B.C., votes to stop talking about separated bike lanes for 3 years
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...cton-1.7003386

Please reconsider spending any vacation dollars in this regressive hellhole. I think I'll contact Ironman Canada and suggest they make the same reconsideration
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2023, 05:16 PM   #4735
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
City council in Penticton, B.C., votes to stop talking about separated bike lanes for 3 years
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...cton-1.7003386

Please reconsider spending any vacation dollars in this regressive hellhole. I think I'll contact Ironman Canada and suggest they make the same reconsideration
No kidding. That is a weird twist to them trialing a new bike rack technology, first in Canada I think. https://www.penticton.ca/city-hall/n...-pilot-project

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 11:44 AM   #4736
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ride today wasn't bad at all. It's a little wet, but nothing sticking to the round, etc.

Ride home could be interesting...
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #4737
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
The ride today wasn't bad at all. It's a little wet, but nothing sticking to the round, etc.

Ride home could be interesting...
Shoes and socks got a little wet on the way in from runoff down my shin, drying my shoes and socks on the vent by my desk, everyone gets to smell my feet today.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:26 PM   #4738
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

No comments from J pold or Icantwhisper about their ride home today.

I'm guessing there are two frozen corpses in a ditch somewhere.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:36 PM   #4739
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The north wind sucked, but other than that it wasn't too bad. No ice really on my route.

Still better than the bus by a long shot.
Old 10-23-2023, 10:20 PM   #4740
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

do I need studded tires to go out Tuesday if I'm on a fat bike? I'm new to the FB so unsure of what's needed. The currently installed tires have some knobbies to them but not big lugs. Was thinking of a fairly simple 10-15km rip around the bike path near home, which will include some wind blown areas and some never-cleared areas.