Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2022, 12:44 PM   #4661
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

That you've devolved into calling me names is indicative of how poorly you painted yourself into this corner, PaperBagger. I quote the code and the legislation; you lash out saying it doesn't apply. You say you have all sorts of proof that you would gladly share to show us all how I'm wrong; I tell you please, go ahead and share it, and you default back to "no u!" like a petulant child.

I'm am shocked and appalled at your lack of understanding how the Safety Codes Act and its associated regulations apply. Again, you're so dogmatically held to the idea that the CEC inviolable that it screams "electrician" to me.

If you had just conceded that you'd heard an old wives' tale from some journeyman you apprenticed under or your electrician buddies I'd have let it go, but that you not only doubled down on it and almost immediately lashed out at me? From that point on you needed to be taken down a peg.

You've proven nothing, other than that you aren't as knowledgeable nor clever as you think you are. That, and you have nothing but petty enmity toward anyone who dares questions your pronouncements. It's rather childish, and unfortunately you didn't have to go down that road if you didn't want to. I'm not surprised in the slightest though.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #4662
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Until you can prove you can override the CEC (you can't without a deviance) or you pay up, your words are hollow and meaningless, your lack of understanding is horrifying and worst of all you're a welcher. The fact you claim to be an engineer is actually disturbing and I strongly urge you to reconsider your career.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #4663
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I had forgotten why I don't hang out with engineers and I have a couple in the family.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #4664
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If y'all aren't dueling with tasers by dawn tomorrow, this is going to be really disappointing.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 01:00 PM   #4665
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Until you can prove you can override the CEC (you can't without a deviance)
I quoted the Permit Regulation and the applicable STANDATA, and you just ranted and raved like a madman about how they don't apply; you're being ludicrous. I provide actual legislative citations, and you dismiss them. You provide sweet F all to back your claims up, state you'll gladly prove me wrong, and then provide... nothing!

Quote:
The fact you claim to be an engineer
You want proof?
Old 03-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #4666
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
You want proof?
Oh, none necessary.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 01:06 PM   #4667
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm gonna end this conversation right here because everything you're bringing up has been discussed. The STANDATA does not supercede the CEC. And no I'd rather not see some university of Phoenix degree. I hope your credentials get pulled as you are actually a danger with how little you know about code.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:12 PM   #4668
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsjunky View Post
oh, none necessary.

Like I said, I would have let it go until he doubled-down on his absurd position and started calling me names and talking a bunch of smack about how I don't know what I'm talking about. You know how engineers are, you tell us we don't know what we're doing and we're going to clap back with citation after citation until you're ####ing buried.

Last edited by timun; 03-16-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:23 PM   #4669
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The argument was amusing. But I hope you guys get past your differences because I’ll be doing my basement at some point here and will rely on this thread for electrical advice.

Need you guys to both be sharp for when duty calls.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 01:25 PM   #4670
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to profess to know enough to trump both timun and paperbagger on anything electrical. But if I'm looking at the two sides arguing the semantics about law and code etc. I don't really find either side has a smoking gun either.

If I'm half layman and half technically speaking...

Definitions:
Spoiler!

What is being debated between the two:
Spoiler!

Honestly, I don't truly know or truly care to get into the meat and potatoes of the debate. It's just my two cents as an outsider.

My understanding is that code/standard is not law by default because of a lack of defined enforcement and penalties in the event of not adhering to the code/standard. I think paperbagger isn't completely right here.

However, I think timun laughing off the inclusion of something like a lightbulb isn't completely correct either. I think the vast majority of the time, a lightbulb is omitted. Of the situations he highlighted, I think he's correct on home owners, but not electricians or someone somewhat versed with some form of the code/standard. If an electrician popped open one of those winged super LED lights to fix loose wiring or replace a dead/damaged LED or whatever to install into a part of a home electrical system, then I think the work done should be following the code/standards like CEC or whatever. Quoting the regulation as part of the discussion of code without the right context isn't useful in an educational situation.

I can't tell either of you what to do, but perhaps both should just agree to disagree, split the $500 and send $250 each to a good cause?

Or maybe I'm wrong and that's that.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-16-2022 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Better wording
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 01:27 PM   #4671
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:

Like I said, I would have let it go until he doubled-down on his absurd position and started calling me names and talking a bunch of smack about how I don't know what I'm talking about. You know how engineers are, you tell us we don't know what we're doing and we're going to clap back with citation after citation until you're ####ing buried.
Met enough engineers to confirm that I have zero clue how some of you even get your certification because they didn't know what they were doing.

This has been a good lesson on why technologists exist, to be that middle person between Papperbagger and timun.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #4672
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I'm gonna end this conversation right here because everything you're bringing up has been discussed. The STANDATA does not supercede the CEC. And no I'd rather not see some university of Phoenix degree. I hope your credentials get pulled as you are actually a danger with how little you know about code.
Fortunately for all of us you're a danger to no one.

And, just because I'm enjoying rubbing your nose in it:

Spoiler!
Old 03-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #4673
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh dear.

Engineers are the worst.
V is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 01:31 PM   #4674
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Met enough engineers to confirm that I have zero clue how some of you even get your certification because they didn't know what they were doing.

This has been a good lesson on why technologists exist, to be that middle person between Papperbagger and timun.

Don't get me wrong, I know many of my fellow engineers who couldn't design their way out of a wet paper bag and have zero practical knowledge about anything. That and they can't write worth a damn, which is a huuuuuuuuuuge pet peeve of mine. I spend an inordinate amount of time editing other people's work because I'm embarrassed to let their report cross a client's desk.

I respect good tradespeople and technologists. Nothing would get built without them.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #4675
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What is being debated between the two:

Before we jump into anything, as far as I understand it, the CEC is a prescriptive model wiring guide. Installation and maintenance of electronic equipment is covered, but if I consider the principles of this guide, my assumption is that a light bulb or a blender is not required as part of the code if you are just plugging it in or screwing it in because wiring work is not directly involved, thus it potentially could be considered external to the electrical system being worked on. However, if you disassemble this stuff to maintain and repair then add into an electrical system, then perhaps yes, it is and/or should be covered by the code.

This perhaps means if you are just grabbing a lightbulb or blender to plug in, the code doesn't apply. But if you open it up and tinker with it (ie: wire a few LED together or open up a blender to repair it) then yes, it is covered.
YUP! Precisely.

Quote:
However, I think timun laughing off the inclusion of something like a lightbulb isn't completely correct either. I think the vast majority of the time, a lightbulb is omitted. Of the situations he highlighted, I think he's correct on home owners, but not electricians or someone somewhat versed with some form of the code/standard. If an electrician popped open one of those winged super LED lights to fix loose wiring or replace a dead/damaged LED or whatever to install into a part of a home electrical system, then I think the work done should be following the code/standards like CEC or whatever. Quoting the regulation as part of the discussion of code without the right context isn't useful in an educational situation.
The distinction which you're making here is the difference between a lamp—the technical term for a light bulb—and a luminaire: the assembly that allows for a lamp to be connected to a circuit and actually powered. And that's really my point in a nutshell.

Yes, absolutely if someone is popping open an LED fixture to replace a dead/damaged LED or fix loose wiring, that is absolutely something that needs a permit. The point is that a lamp alone is not "electrical equipment", and does not require a permit, and the Permit Regulation supersedes the code rules and establishes (by law, not by code) the requirements for when and where an electrical permit is needed. 8(2)(e) of the Permit Regulation is quite clear that you don't need a permit for "the replacement of electrical equipment with units of a similar type if the replacement is made for the purpose of maintaining the system and does not modify the ratings or characteristics of the electrical installation". E.g., replacing a light bulb.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:01 PM   #4676
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Old 03-16-2022, 02:27 PM   #4677
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fortunately for all of us you're a danger to no one.

And, just because I'm enjoying rubbing your nose in it:

Spoiler!
Got your bosses stamp for the day did ya? And once again Timun, re read the definition of electrical equipment. Lamps are covered under electrical equipment as a "thing used in the utilization of electrical power or energy. Unless your lamps don't run on electricity. Moron

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 03-16-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #4678
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I ask that for next time, y’all argue about something more useful than changing a single damn lightbulb.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #4679
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
I ask that for next time, y’all argue about something more useful than changing a single damn lightbulb.
I'll try my best to argue about something less trivial next time.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #4680
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Ah, see, this is all the NDP's fault.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: