Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #4661
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Interesting. What is it the rcmp call the area the reporters are in? The exclusion zone? Wonder what that means.
Is there some sort of security threat by having the media there or is it putting any sort of investigation at risk? If not, I’d argue that anywhere the RCMP are being deployed the media should have access to report on what they’re doing.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:26 PM   #4662
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is there some sort of security threat by having the media there or is it putting any sort of investigation at risk? If not, I’d argue that anywhere the RCMP are being deployed the media should have access to report on what they’re doing.

Yes the security risk is that anyone can be press in this country. So you allow two guys with cameras into that area, other people are going to claim press status and want in. If a court injunction says everybody out, then everybody has to go. There are lots of areas and circumstances where press isn't allowed.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #4663
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Gotta agree that the media should be deployed unrestricted and given access. Sounds like your human rights thing is pretty iffy though. I’m not clear on what human rights are violated with the installation of a completely safe natural gas pipeline. The idiocy of protesting a natural gas line is almost the height of stupidity for a wide variety of reasons.

There’s a lot of bs going on here, not sure what exactly is accurate or not to be honest and media given access might help with that.
Mr.Coffee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #4664
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Gotta agree that the media should be deployed unrestricted and given access. Sounds like your human rights thing is pretty iffy though. I’m not clear on what human rights are violated with the installation of a completely safe natural gas pipeline. The idiocy of protesting a natural gas line is almost the height of stupidity for a wide variety of reasons.

There’s a lot of bs going on here, not sure what exactly is accurate or not to be honest and media given access might help with that.
The human rights abuses aren’t related to the construction of the pipeline, the issue is what the RCMP are doing to the people in the area, protestors and non-protestors alike. Sorry I should have clarified that better earlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #4665
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes the security risk is that anyone can be press in this country. So you allow two guys with cameras into that area, other people are going to claim press status and want in.
You can’t just claim accredited press status. I’m willing to assume you know that much.

Quote:
If a court injunction says everybody out, then everybody has to go. There are lots of areas and circumstances where press isn't allowed.
If you can’t see how this is a problem I’m not sure what to tell you. The government shouldn’t be able to censor information that puts no lives or ongoing investigations at risk from the general public.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #4666
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
The human rights abuses aren’t related to the construction of the pipeline, the issue is what the RCMP are doing to the people in the area, protestors and non-protestors alike. Sorry I should have clarified that better earlier.
Thanks. So based on the article, there was a BC Supreme Court ruling the protests stand down. The RCMP started to enforce that, and told the media to go 100 yards away... not sure why exactly that is, or that I understand it but okay. Is it safe to assume that’s part of the Court’s ruling as well? Anyway so then the media complied and the RCMP then says they are still at risk of arrest- admittedly weird. But then the article completely speculates that possibly human rights may be infringed? So, really, we have no idea if that’s true or not. But what we do know, is that the protestors are there illegally, and the RCMP is removing them from the area by court order. Correct? This is the problem we have?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #4667
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only good that could come out of this would be Easterners possibly realizing that having your essential infrastructure snarled for no good reason isn't fun. Only Canada could be taken down by a handful of extremists, good thing there's no war on or we'd surrender immediately. I'm looking for a strong response from our intrepid Federal Government to lay down the law and not embolden these obstructionists. Maybe next week they'll get on it, if they have time.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 02-12-2020 at 09:06 PM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #4668
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can’t just claim accredited press status. I’m willing to assume you know that much.

Oh man Iggy. You don't need an accredited press pass to film in public. Claiming you're official press is utterly meaningless when you're trying to film a protest outside. Anybody with a camera is independent media if they want to be.

Quote:
If you can’t see how this is a problem I’m not sure what to tell you. The government shouldn’t be able to censor information that puts no lives or ongoing investigations at risk from the general public.

Again. Get a clue. The process leading to the exclusion zone was months long. It allowed police to remove protestors so Gaslink could access their right of way. Why is it important in anyway to allow journalists into the area? That's dumb. If the cops were smashing cameras and enforcing their personal distaste for media exposure you'd have a point. Instead you're just confused.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #4669
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Actually I thought I saw today Trudeau said that both sides need to figure it out, more or less.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #4670
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Anyway stepping back, let’s look at how ridiculous this is. A natural gas pipeline? Really? This is what we are protesting now? Lol this country is so hopeless. Absolutely pathetic.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #4671
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh man Iggy. You don't need an accredited press pass to film in public. Claiming you're official press is utterly meaningless when you're trying to film a protest outside. Anybody with a camera is independent media if they want to be.
So while I’m arguing that accredited media should be able to report on what our government is doing, your rebuttal is that since anyone can use a camera we shouldn’t allow accredited media to report on certain things...cuz?
Great argument.

Quote:
Again. Get a clue. The process leading to the exclusion zone was months long. It allowed police to remove protestors so Gaslink could access their right of way. Why is it important in anyway to allow journalists into the area? That's dumb. If the cops were smashing cameras and enforcing their personal distaste for media exposure you'd have a point. Instead you're just confused.
A free press is very important to maintaining any semblance of democracy. If you can’t figure out why it’s a very slippery slope to allow the government to arbitrarily dictate what we can and can’t be informed about then by all means go along with it, you’re not going to change my opinion on the matter. How exactly do you expect to hold the government or RCMP accountable if we’re not allowed to see what they’re doing? Should we just take their word for it that they are following the rules?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:52 PM   #4672
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...wsuit-against/

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #4673
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I thought I saw today Trudeau said that both sides need to figure it out, more or less.

Yup which is silly. The Liberals can't sit back and hope this goes away, they can't sit back and ignore the rule of law.

At the end of the day, this thing is going to get completely out of hand.

If they don't enforce the law, this thing is going to become even more common place. This feels like a big experiment that probably the environmental groups are studying very carefully. Just wait until the weather warms up, this is going to be completely commonplace for every thing.

For all the people that are arrested, they're just back at the protests the next day. Half of the people at these protests have nothing to do with the protests.

What's likely to happen is your going to see counter protests in close proximity and then we're going to see acts of violence happen.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:14 PM   #4674
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So while I’m arguing that accredited media should be able to report on what our government is doing, your rebuttal is that since anyone can use a camera we shouldn’t allow accredited media to report on certain things...cuz?
Great argument.

No.

Quote:
A free press is very important to maintaining any semblance of democracy. If you can’t figure out why it’s a very slippery slope to allow the government to arbitrarily dictate what we can and can’t be informed about then by all means go along with it, you’re not going to change my opinion on the matter. How exactly do you expect to hold the government or RCMP accountable if we’re not allowed to see what they’re doing? Should we just take their word for it that they are following the rules?

You are mind numbing. The BC Supreme Court ordered the injunction in favour of Gaslink that allowed cops to remove people...not the government. Do you know the supreme court and the government are different? Like did you think John Horgan phoned up the cops and told them to silence the reporters and disappear anyone who gets in the way? I doubt he'd do that even if he could.

I'm going to hold them accountable by sending the matter to the courts and allowing the courts to do what courts do. The courts are what keep law enforcement accountable, not the government. The cops did exactly what they were supposed to.

There is a mountain of video from the area. We know how many people were arrested. We know just about everything there is to know here. What else did you want to see? Gaslink employees driving around the forest service road? It's not like there's a secret John Horgan gulag full of protestors somewhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:22 PM   #4675
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh hahaha yes let's talk about Vice reporters. I had a ####ing rock thrown in my face by a "Vice reporter" at a TMX protest when I was there with a bunch of Lower Mainland chiefs.

Vice never identified their people as reporters. They never took responsibility for their people but footage of my bleeding face was uploaded to their website.

Last edited by peter12; 02-12-2020 at 10:27 PM.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:23 PM   #4676
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
My favourite part of the costal gas link fight, is the bloodline patriarchy stripping title from three women last year for supporting the line.
Sweet irony if only more people could grasp it.

Your average lad on the street understands so little of the constitutional and political complexities of this situation but they have an opinion anyway.

Last edited by peter12; 02-12-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 PM   #4677
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1227773273200414720

Putting peoples health and need to get medical attention at risk is disgusting.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #4678
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

If you’re an environmentalist, shouldn’t the Coastal Gaslink natural gas pipeline be considered crucial infrastructure?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 PM   #4679
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
If you’re an environmentalist, shouldn’t the Coastal Gaslink natural gas pipeline be considered crucial infrastructure?

That's not how they think.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 PM   #4680
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's not how they think.
They can BARELY think.