Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2023, 07:58 AM   #4641
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
We flooded so upgraded mobility infrastructure could come.

You're welcome.
Worth the sacrifice!

Gonna be a mess there for a decade, if it goes as fast as the Peace Bridge repair...which still hasn't started.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 09:55 AM   #4642
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Interesting video tour of the proposed Sunnyside floor barrier, and how it will make the pathways along the river from Centre street to 14th much better than what we have today.

This looks great! Biggest nitpick would be the first section near Centre St where they remove trees from the median (though it sounds like they plan to plant more nearby)...it would be nicer to have the barrier between the roadway and pathways wherever possible.

I can't find the actual plans though so I'll trust that the people spending days working on this know a bit more than me after 5 minutes.

The cross sections shown don't seem to indicate a loss of lane on EB Memorial, so I wonder if they'll actually achieve a doubled pathway in this bottleneck? https://goo.gl/maps/bex6qxYAVJZzwmRF6
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:52 AM   #4643
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They show a cross section at 1:30 in the video. They will have to build a retaining wall further out to make room.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:34 AM   #4644
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
We finally did the ride up to Moraine Lake today and it was a lot easier than I expected. It is a fair bit of elevation gain but there were only two sections that were more strenuous and even those were not as steep as I thought they would be. Even my kids made it without any real complaining although my youngest did have to walk her bike up a bit. If they didn't close the road to traffic we definitely would not have done it but it was a great experience.
Is there a name for this route or trail? Is it paved? I heard sections are off-road/gravel/MTB
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 11:39 AM   #4645
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Is there a name for this route or trail? Is it paved? I heard sections are off-road/gravel/MTB
It's just Moraine Lake Road and it's all paved. It's the road they shut down to cars last year and now it's just buses/shuttles and bikes.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:14 PM   #4646
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
We stayed on the road as it is closed but there is a dirt/gravel path off to the side as well. I didn't explore the trail but I wouldn't consider going up it but it would probably be fun for the return/downhill trip. There were a couple of guys on electric mountain bikes who were setting off up the trail while we were starting on the road. We saw them again at the lake.

The road takes about 60 minutes depending on endurance and uphill skill but for us with kids and a few stops along the way for rest and water it took 90 minutes.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:17 PM   #4647
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where did you end up parking?
Old 09-14-2023, 12:25 PM   #4648
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Where did you end up parking?
We got lucky and managed to find a parking spot in that picnic area at the base of Moraine Lake road (Fairview or something.) I didn't have a back up plan but if I couldn't find parking there I probably would have had to drop off my family off there and driven back into town and rode up the main road. The Lake Louise parking lot was full which wasn't a surprise.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 05:11 PM   #4649
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
I'm in the same boat with my rear tire. It's pretty smooth and I notice the air is going out a bit quicker than before. Buddy wants to come up for one more longer ride, but not sure how it will hold up.

I've pretty much transitioned to Zwift for the season, and my wife would kill me if I got new tires right now as I'd likely get GP 5000s and she'd ask why we're always spending that level of money on bike stuff lol.
They last longer than most are willing to wait. unfortunately when they die they often take the tube with them (wearing through the tire then tube before you know there’s an issue). Oddly enough you can find slightly used tires at significant discounts. Also Probike Canada sometimes has significant savings on all tires, if you catch sales. Yeah I do try to support my LBS but when it’s a 50% difference on some things… well….it’s like getting a 2-get-1 deal.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2023, 08:48 AM   #4650
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I just set up a Canyon Grizl CF SLX last night and I'm looking for gravel ride recommendations . I've seen some routes on gravelmap.com but they don't give much detail...
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2023, 11:25 AM   #4651
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
So I just set up a Canyon Grizl CF SLX last night and I'm looking for gravel ride recommendations . I've seen some routes on gravelmap.com but they don't give much detail...
SLX, holy crap. Nice bike!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2023, 12:28 PM   #4652
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
SLX, holy crap. Nice bike!
Thanks. For the first time ever, I decided to not compromise and just get the bike I actually wanted. Gonna look great on my trainer this winter haha .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2023, 08:31 PM   #4653
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post

approx starting point/area?

There's a great ride heading north from Royal Oak YMCA on the gravel roads. Check out the maps to refine your route but if you're on Garmin Connect should be easy enough to find.

Some stuff north'ish and NW of Cochrane.

Also some gravel north of Country Hills area that's good... flat... and sometimes deeper gravel.

West'ish of Airdrie too.

Drumheller loads of stuff that involves some hillclimbing but gorgeous farmlands and scenery.

Definitely be self sufficient though as the weather and conditions can vary considerably.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 08:20 AM   #4654
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I live pretty central so it doesn't matter much to me which direction I need to head. I'm eyeing up the route from the YMCA and it looks great. Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-21-2023, 09:19 AM   #4655
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Shimano just recalled a bunch of cranksets, bike I rode today is on list but you will only be issued a replacement if there are signs of separation.
Quote from Bike Radar site.
"Only owners of cranksets showing signs of “bonding separation or delamination during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset and installation”"

Have to check other bike when I get home.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:00 AM   #4656
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn. My bike is a 2022, but won't be surprised to learn a mechanical R8000 crankset was sitting in a warehouse for several years before it made it to a bike.

Another nail in the coffin for mechanical ultegra and dura ace.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:02 AM   #4657
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why I only ride bikes built before the turn of the century.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 10:10 AM   #4658
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Damn. My bike is a 2022, but won't be surprised to learn a mechanical R8000 crankset was sitting in a warehouse for several years before it made it to a bike.

Another nail in the coffin for mechanical ultegra and dura ace.
Cranksets are the same on Mechanical and Electric Dura ace/Ultegra, people with electric shifting also part of recall, not really anything to do with Mechanical vs. Di2

Last edited by Icantwhisper; 09-21-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Icantwhisper is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icantwhisper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 10:15 AM   #4659
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Cranksets are the same on Mechanical and Electric Dura ace/Ultegra, people with electric shifting also part of recall
Interesting to know. I thought only mechanical was in the recall here.

Makes sense though- the numbers are way too high for only mechanical to be involved. Either way, seems like the sooner you get in and inspected the better- in the event you qualify and have to wait for the replacement.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 09-21-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:50 AM   #4660
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Interesting to know. I thought only mechanical was in the recall here.

Makes sense though- the numbers are way too high for only mechanical to be involved. Either way, seems like the sooner you get in and inspected the better- in the event you qualify and have to wait for the replacement.
I'm guessing if you had one that was ready to separate you'd have creaking issues long before it failed. I think it's .5% of cranksets that are failing so fingers crossed. Almost positive my cross bike will have its cranks on the list and it's race season