Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Glenn is alive?
Yes 51 50.50%
No 50 49.50%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #4621
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
As for stabbing in the neck I agree, we've seen in the past cutting off the head doesn't even stop them.
I assume the neck stabs are to sever the spinal cord and immobilize the body, though it does seem they very quickly started doing that without explaining why. if all their rotten skulls are squishy enough for a knife to easily get through, that's probably an easier target than the middle of the neck.

I for one would have loved to see them try to break through the mass zombie blockade. maybe if they welded snow shovels to the front of their truck, Dawn of the Dead style...but I guess they wouldn't find something like that in Georgia.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #4622
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
So if that is the case, does that mean the walkers have a finite life?
I think so. We are left to assume that the body starts rotting immediately after death and continues into reanimation. It's clear the walkers do not require oxygen or sustenance, and are essentially operating through stimulus in the core of their brain stem that seems to drive them to feed for no apparent reason. Once the rotting gets so far as to deteriorate that part of the brain then their essence, so to speak, ceases to exist.

In other words, the brain has to rot eventually...and since that is the only thing keeping them going they are going to "die" at some point.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #4623
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have seen in the past that the walkers can go dormant if there is no external stimuli to motivate them to move (whether it be the smell of living people, loud noises, or even the movement of other walkers).
Old 11-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #4624
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Walkers do breathe.
Otherwise there wouldn't have been bubbles in the water in the basement of the salvation army when the walkers got submerged.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #4625
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I say they don't breathe. Otherwise the ones in the aquariums and the one that the governor tied to the bottom of the lake would be dead. However that isn't to say they don't contain air or other gases.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #4626
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

But if they don't breathe, how can they make sounds?
I would like a scientist to weigh in on this discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1stLand For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #4627
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
But if they don't breathe, how can they make sounds?
I would like a scientist to weigh in on this discussion.
it's classified.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #4628
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
They are what, 3 years into the apocalypse now. The walkers aren't getting any fresher, they are getting softer and slower, probably "starving" as well. I am sure the pressure from a fire hose would strip that gooey flesh off them no problem...but doesn't the truck have to be running???

As for stabbing in the neck I agree, we've seen in the past cutting off the head doesn't even stop them.
Hoses do run without the truck running but it's only hydrant pressure. For significant force the truck must be running. The pressure in that episode seemed high but I don't know if it was hydrant pressure or more than that.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #4629
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I also think I'm done with the Talking Dead now. They all but gave away who lives and dies in the next episode. If they can't do a live show without giving away critical spoilers, then they shouldn't.
I skipped through parts of it. Is it something they said, or the sneak peak? The sneak peak would be too spoiler if it was the obvious.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #4630
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air clearly passes through their throats because they do rasp and groan, but they don't need air to survive. Consider the mud zombie that got that girl the Governor was fond of.

On the topic, it makes me wonder if they digest anything? Or would the meat they ingest simply sit in their rotting stomachs?

Everyone poops....except walkers?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #4631
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I skipped through parts of it. Is it something they said, or the sneak peak? The sneak peak would be too spoiler if it was the obvious.
The sneak peak was one of the things. Especially everybody's comments after. There was also something said between the two actors. At the beginning of the show they were being very ify about if Eugene was going to survive the beating; or if he was dead. Later on they gave it away.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #4632
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The sneak peak was one of the things. Especially everybody's comments after. There was also something said between the two actors. At the beginning of the show they were being very ify about if Eugene was going to survive the beating; or if he was dead. Later on they gave it away.
I didn't think whether Eugene was dead or not was the main thrust of that episode though. Whether they gave away that he survived the beating or not, I am not really certain of its overall relevance in the grand scheme of things, and I didn't think it was meant as a cliff hanger.

Maybe they were being coy about it earlier in the Talking Dead, but... it didn't even occur to me that Eugene might be dead after he face planted into the road. I was pretty sure he was just got knocked out. Either way though, if Eugene being dead or alive doesn't seem like it would make any difference now to what decision Abraham's group makes.

One thing that drives me crazy about Talking Dead is when Chris Hardwicks says "Dead Live" when giving people the call in number for the show. I don't get it. I wish he would stop.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #4633
Flamesoholic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I didn't think whether Eugene was dead or not was the main thrust of that episode though. Whether they gave away that he survived the beating or not, I am not really certain of its overall relevance in the grand scheme of things, and I didn't think it was meant as a cliff hanger.

Maybe they were being coy about it earlier in the Talking Dead, but... it didn't even occur to me that Eugene might be dead after he face planted into the road. I was pretty sure he was just got knocked out. Either way though, if Eugene being dead or alive doesn't seem like it would make any difference now to what decision Abraham's group makes.

One thing that drives me crazy about Talking Dead is when Chris Hardwicks says "Dead Live" when giving people the call in number for the show. I don't get it. I wish he would stop.
I thnk it was in the second season or so but he said got scolded by his fans for not saying it during one episode so now he says it on purpose to "appease" his legion of fans.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #4634
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Do you mean the way he says it, or that he says it?

The reason he says it is that the phone number is 1-855-DEA-DLIV if you use the letters on your phone keypad. Pressing the extra 3 at the end of the number doesn't affect the call going through.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #4635
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Liked all of your post except for this. I love this part. Hardwick is a big reason I watch The Talking Dead. He is very funny and I don't think I've ever seen a host so invested in the topic. He makes it great to watch IMO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #4636
zztim81
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What's with Abraham's hand that keeps bleeding? Is there more to this story? Is he dying of another disease slowly or is it just a way of showing he hasn't stopped since meeting Eugene long enough to heal and he's been committed to his goal...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zztim81 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #4637
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you mean the way he says it, or that he says it?

The reason he says it is that the phone number is 1-855-DEA-DLIV if you use the letters on your phone keypad. Pressing the extra 3 at the end of the number doesn't affect the call going through.
No, I don't mind that he says it. And I get how the numbers work out to "DEAD LIVE". Its just 100% the way he delivers it in a semi-hushed voice. I don't understand if he's impersonating somebody or what is going on with that. I know it's petty, and I like everything else about Hardwick and how he does the show. It's just that one little thing.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #4638
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Also, anyone who is still alive is a professional zombie killer.
That's the way I have been reconciling it in my head as well. They are just getting really good at it. Plus older zombies get weaker from deterioration.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #4639
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I assume the neck stabs are to sever the spinal cord and immobilize the body, though it does seem they very quickly started doing that without explaining why. if all their rotten skulls are squishy enough for a knife to easily get through, that's probably an easier target than the middle of the neck.

I for one would have loved to see them try to break through the mass zombie blockade. maybe if they welded snow shovels to the front of their truck, Dawn of the Dead style...but I guess they wouldn't find something like that in Georgia.
It's not. "Squishy" skulls? No such thing. For anyone that's ever worked with cadavers you know that the bone never really deteriorates. Sure it softens in certain chemical solutions that strip the calcium out, but that isn't likely to be the case with zombies. I've been letting it go, but taking a pocket knife to the side of someone's skull would never, ever work, no matter how rotten they were. The suture joints in the skull are too strong and there aren't a lot of places you can just poke through the bone without a LOT of force. It makes more sense for them to try and find access points through the nose/eyes/base of the neck to get into the brain itself. I've seen too many weak thrusts that just go through bone like it's butter, but that's not the only problem with believability in this show, so I'll just let it go now and assume that the zombie plague also weakens bone to the point of styrofoam.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #4640
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztim81 View Post
What's with Abraham's hand that keeps bleeding? Is there more to this story? Is he dying of another disease slowly or is it just a way of showing he hasn't stopped since meeting Eugene long enough to heal and he's been committed to his goal...
I haven't noticed that before this episode, I thought he injured it in the accident and they were highlighting it because it stirred memories, hence the flashbacks.
Closed Thread

Tags
brains! , i ate your momma , zombies