Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2023, 01:49 AM   #4601
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
The ride height should be near identical with properly sized tires. It's a super common practice for people to downsize their wheels for winter because of potholes/frozen ruts etc.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/

This was the review. Sorry, I mixed up that the guy in this review upped from 17" to 18" and it went away. I'm pretty sure I saw something else that said the size up had lessened the bent wheel issue.

At first I thought the guy in the car and driver review must have been an idiot, but I recall finding other reviews seemed to show that the 17" had occasionally similar complaints on other random sites whereas those complaints disappeared rapidly in the 18-19" range. Prior to this, I'd never heard of this being an issue on any car where the oem wheels were made of an alloy that was too soft. I still think it's vary majority driver error and stupidity that caused the bent wheels in the review though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 03:04 PM   #4602
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Sounds like more of a faulty wheel issue to me that a physics consideration of wheel sizes, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 04:18 PM   #4603
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Sounds like more of a faulty wheel issue to me that a physics consideration of wheel sizes, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.
Stupid question, but could it also be a run flat tire issue? I know you mentioned lower profile tire... same concept as the lower profile situation? I recall a few more complaints saying they paid extra for the run flats and had a similar issue.

Not to mention if someone says this in a review:

Quote:
The wheels are soft. *snip*, a word of advice: Avoid potholes.
It seems super captain obvious to me. I'd cringe like #### if I hit a pothole regardless of what profile tire I had. Reading between the lines, it almost seems like this person some how hit potholes on a regular commute multiple times and didn't bat an eye until the tires and wheels got all ####ed up.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:09 PM   #4604
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Good point on the run flats. I'd imagine with the stiffer sidewalls, they would also transmit more force into the wheel.

It seems like everyone is moving away from those and giving out the can of tire sealant instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2023, 06:07 PM   #4605
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Question for any mechanics (dodge specifically)

Changes all brakes and pads and also inner tie rod end, truck now is out of alignment but all of a sudden the following messages came up

Service evic electric brake

Service air suspension
Service trailer brake.

Would these all be related to the alignment out of wack? I can’t get an alignment until Tuesday. No messages before the work.

2018 ram 1500 Laramie limited with air suspension

Thanks.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:14 PM   #4606
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alignment out makes sense from a tie rod end if he didn't do it properly.

The other stuff, all at once? I'm going to guess a wiring harness isn't plugged snugly. Just getting poor signal. I'd look around all 4 wheels and see if there are any he may have unplugged while doing the work. A good hint is if they look like dirt/dust has been disturbed on them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:17 PM   #4607
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did all the work myself and didn't unplug any connections. I'm thinking because the alignment is out a good amount it caused the messages since the Ram has all these functioning together.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:23 PM   #4608
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
I did all the work myself and didn't unplug any connections. I'm thinking because the alignment is out a good amount it caused the messages since the Ram has all these functioning together.
Hrmm, ya, not sure then. Did you put the tie rod end on with the same number of turns as the one you took off? Could you have bumped any sensors/connectors loose?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:30 PM   #4609
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea I measured from the steering rack to jam nut and also counted the rotations. Steering wheel is definitely off center too, pulls left

It has to be the alignment causing the issues. I just cant get an alignment done until Tuesday. If anyone knows a place open Sundays I'll call there.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:15 PM   #4610
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any recommendations on out of province inspection shops? It's used from a dealer in BC and in nice shape, would prefer to avoid any silliness.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:52 PM   #4611
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Yea I measured from the steering rack to jam nut and also counted the rotations. Steering wheel is definitely off center too, pulls left

It has to be the alignment causing the issues. I just cant get an alignment done until Tuesday. If anyone knows a place open Sundays I'll call there.
While I’ve not worked in that specific truck, I have never seen one where an alignment would, or could, cause any of that. Nothing in those systems knows if your tie rod is out.

I mean I hope I’m wrong, but please follow up.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:54 PM   #4612
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Any recommendations on out of province inspection shops? It's used from a dealer in BC and in nice shape, would prefer to avoid any silliness.

If you’re in the south, I’ve had great service at this shop…
https://www.midsunautomotive.com/services
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 07:47 AM   #4613
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

I've used Inspectacar a few times

https://inspectacar.ca/

They don't do actual service (except fluid changes I think) so they aren't going to push you into anything unnecessary
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 09:57 AM   #4614
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
While I’ve not worked in that specific truck, I have never seen one where an alignment would, or could, cause any of that. Nothing in those systems knows if your tie rod is out.

I mean I hope I’m wrong, but please follow up.
Update, was able to go to autovalue for obd2 reader. Because the steering wheel was off centre it caused the issue. I guess because I drove it to sons baseball with the wheel out of alignment

C0051-28 (steering wheel position sensor- signal bias level out of range/zero adjustment failure
Old 05-08-2023, 01:55 PM   #4615
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to get new front suspension for my 2016 truck. I got an outrageous quote from a dealership.

Anyone have recommendations for a good shop, hopefully that is familiar with trucks?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:56 PM   #4616
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I need to get new front suspension for my 2016 truck. I got an outrageous quote from a dealership.

Anyone have recommendations for a good shop, hopefully that is familiar with trucks?
https://www.hattautomotive.com/

And down by you, I seem to think you are in Mahogany

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:12 PM   #4617
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool, thank you. I've never heard of them, and they have great google reviews.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #4618
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a body shop for some paint work? My wife nailed the side of the garage when backing out the other day, leaving several divots in the paint

I tried using Simplicity Car Care's online appraisal tool, but their quote is $2000, which seems way too high
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 07:09 PM   #4619
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Can anyone recommend a body shop for some paint work? My wife nailed the side of the garage when backing out the other day, leaving several divots in the paint

I tried using Simplicity Car Care's online appraisal tool, but their quote is $2000, which seems way too high
We had a similar scuff on my wife's car last summer and, unfortunately, the price is consistent with what I was being quoted.

I'd suggest trying a detail shop. When I was looking for a fix, one shop figured they could get it about 80% (i.e. you won't notice unless you're looking for it) for about $300...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2023, 09:22 PM   #4620
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^Any detail shop you can recommend? I have a rock that went right through my 3M and chipped my hood. Been procrastinating for like 4 years getting that fixed.