Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #4601
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think my legs are getting stronger - when I first started cycling, I could barely make the light on 10th Ave & 5th St southbound - I was generally sailing through as it turned yellow. Last night, I made it through the light while it was still a solid green. I sucked wind for the next four blocks, however, but I'm still pretty impressed.

Are there any places in the downtown core/riverwalk area where I can ride and encounter some small hills to get more strength? I'm horribly out of shape and don't have to do a hill beyond the 5th St. cycle track underpass or the underpass on the river under the 10th St. Bridge. (my commute is only 3 kms) I'm just a couple blocks from Mount Royal, but I think I'd die trying to ride up there right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #4602
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Are there any places in the downtown core/riverwalk area where I can ride and encounter some small hills to get more strength?
If you ride east along the Bow Pathway at the Zoo, there is a nice little hill you can practice on.

You can make a loop by continuing north towards Telus Spark, go west on the path until St George's Dr and take that hill and aim back to the Bow pathway.

Once you get the legs and lungs, there are a few short but somewhat steep hills off the Nose Creek pathway up into Renfrew that you can try.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #4603
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If a guy like Chris Froome isn't going fast enough for a driver, we're all in trouble.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #4604
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

As you start conquering those little hills come across the river and climb the path up McHugh bluff that goes under the stairs that everyone works out on (by the curling club).
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #4605
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Better yet, hop on a mountain bike, and take the dirt trail that goes straight up the side of the Nose Creek valley beside 16th ave:

https://goo.gl/maps/umRYXzsjXMN2
Old 05-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #4606
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

or work your way up the road at ed worthy park as that bad boy is a real gutbuster.

back when I was younger I used to live in Patterson, talk about a bike ride getting you in shape as I would just recover from the hill at ed worthy, oonly to have to deal with the uphill from bow trail/sarcee to Patterson - good times, good times.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #4607
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
or work your way up the road at ed worthy park as that bad boy is a real gutbuster.

back when I was younger I used to live in Patterson, talk about a bike ride getting you in shape as I would just recover from the hill at ed worthy, oonly to have to deal with the uphill from bow trail/sarcee to Patterson - good times, good times.
Known to me presently as the ride home.
I was all set to dispute the north-south wind discussion, so I looked it up and saw that sure enough the prevailing winds (at the airport at least) are southerly most of the year.
The hills to the west are even worse when there's a head wind, and there is no such thing as a wind strong enough to make a difference when descending.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #4608
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:

I grew up in Coach Hill and did that Edworthy hill regularly. I'd sometimes just go up and down a few times. But man that second climb into Coach Hill was brutal. You'd be so gassed at the end of it all. I feel like my tiny climb up the Renfrew swtichback is nothing in comparison, and I'm so old and out of shape.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #4609
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the south side of downtown, the climb out of Stanley park heading south is a nice one.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #4610
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

🚲 🚲 🚲 Did you guys end up doing a ride together? Anyone interested in a ride in August on a Saturday or Sunday? I think that's the next time I can get my schedule to work. 🚲 🚲 🚲
Old 05-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #4611
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

We haven't done a CP ride yet but I'm game for one.

August is tough because I'm doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer (Aug12 & 13) and likely taking some vacation but if I can make it I will.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #4612
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I grew up in Coach Hill and did that Edworthy hill regularly. I'd sometimes just go up and down a few times. But man that second climb into Coach Hill was brutal. You'd be so gassed at the end of it all. I feel like my tiny climb up the Renfrew swtichback is nothing in comparison, and I'm so old and out of shape.
i used to find living in the Patterson area that i would battle the wind going home, plus there was the uphill to look forward to and then there was the optic of riding into the current of the bow river.

i then remember being excited to finally discover the switchback by shagnappi golf course - not as hard to climb, and you could at lest get a bit of a rest going along that one street (spruce?) that lead to bow/sarcee before starting the last climb.....

good times......
Old 05-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #4613
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
^ no, I am the cyclist that slows down and then grumbles about how I need to create more energy to get my speed back to where it was.
I feel this way as well. Double edged sword it is!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #4614
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

which was is the wind blowing?
Old 05-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #4615
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
which was is the wind blowing?
North to beautiful south.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #4616
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

So hypothetical question... if you had security footage with a great (profile pic worthy) screen cap of your scumbag bike thief would you:

A) give it to the police and hope for the best
B) post it to every social site you can think of
C) ???

Right now I'm at A, but B seems oh so tempting...

Last edited by Flames0910; 05-09-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #4617
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

A and B but that's just me. Might help speed up the investigation for the police.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:56 AM   #4618
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No reason not to do A and B.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #4619
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
North to beautiful south.
The afternoon wind was but a whisper compared to what the southbound folks got for a push in the morning.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #4620
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
So hypothetical question... if you had security footage with a great (profile pic worthy) screen cap of your scumbag bike thief would you:

A) give it to the police and hope for the best
B) post it to every social site you can think of
C) ???

Right now I'm at A, but B seems oh so tempting...
A and B, get the word out all over.
Closed Thread