Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #4581
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
So who gets to determine if their lives are in danger? The Monday morning social worker?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1298330729890242561
So that video dictates shooting civilians in the back is ok? Or just black civilians, I'm confused. Two cops poorly executing a takedown during a traffic stop does not excuse shooting an unarmed man in the back. Anyone who says they believe so, probably has a few other opinions they would prefer not to admit to publicly.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #4582
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
How do you know they weren't certain their life was at risk?

You don't know everything about the case, and until you do, you are simply making uninformed conclusions.
he was getting into his car, they shot him in his back as he was getting into his car, how is he in his car a threat?
Old 08-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #4583
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other point is we pay policemen to take risk, that is their job, they are expected to take more risk than you or I and we cant shoot someone because they were getting into their car, even if we thought they might have a gun
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #4584
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
The problem with this thinking is that waiting until a gun is pointed at you can be too late. In a nation where there are nearly 400 million firearms, I can see why they're impatient.
That is definitely part of the problem. Not just for why police can be jumpy, but for the general population in some regions.

But that still doesn't explain why black people are disproportionately affected.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #4585
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
So that video dictates shooting civilians in the back is ok? Or just black civilians, I'm confused. Two cops poorly executing a takedown during a traffic stop does not excuse shooting an unarmed man in the back. Anyone who says they believe so, probably has a few other opinions they would prefer not to admit to publicly.
Or you can watch that video and see how quickly someone simply “reaching into their car” can take a cops life. Is that not obvious to you? You don’t think every police officer in America has been shown this during a training session?
Old 08-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #4586
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
To my eye, what that video portrays is what can happen to an officer(s) when you let a suspect reach into his car after non-compliance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #4587
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Skateboarders pay tribute to Anthony Huber, protester fatally shot in Kenosha overnight
Joseph “Jojo” Rosenbaum, a father of a 2-year-old girl, was also killed in the shooting Tuesday night

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/8/...jojo-rosenbaum
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #4588
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
he was getting into his car, they shot him in his back as he was getting into his car, how is he in his car a threat?
You might be right.

You might also be wrong.

That's the problem with your conclusion...it's that you reached a conclusion at all.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #4589
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Or you can watch that video and see how quickly someone simply “reaching into their car” can take a cops life. Is that not obvious to you? You don’t think every police officer in America has been shown this during a training session?
Yes, I think every police officer has been shown this in their training. How a cop failing to secure a suspect ends up in a death of a cop. It's why so many shoot first, and ask questions later. Poorly trained cops trained to be afraid of black males before they hit the streets is why there is such a problem down there.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #4590
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
To my eye, what that video portrays is what can happen to an officer(s) when you let a suspect reach into his car after non-compliance.
Nobody said being a cop doesn't come without risk. The stats show a disproportionate risk to black civilians in cases of police shootings, one video doesn't change that. No matter how much you trolls like to pretend it does.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #4591
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
So who gets to determine if their lives are in danger? The Monday morning social worker?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1298330729890242561
Lol.So now we get a sense of your belonging. James Woods is a joke. Another piece of the puzzle.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #4592
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Lol.So now we get a sense of your belonging. James Woods is a joke. Another piece of the puzzle.
If that’s the best you can do your argument is in trouble.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #4593
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody said being a cop doesn't come without risk.
Nobody said disobeying a cop doesn't come without risk.

Quote:
The stats show a disproportionate risk to black civilians in cases of police shootings, one video doesn't change that. No matter how much you trolls like to pretend it does.
The stats also show a disproportionate number of firearm crimes are committed by black civilians.

According to the US Department of Justice, African Americans accounted for 52.5% of all homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with Whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for African Americans was almost eight times higher than Whites, and the victim rate six times higher.

Could that explain why they are more at risk in the eyes of police?

The name calling is unnecessary.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:01 PM   #4594
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
You might be right.

You might also be wrong.

That's the problem with your conclusion...it's that you reached a conclusion at all.
i like your conclusion, harangue a calgary hockey forum with your "insights"

tell me how did you arrive at that conclusion? and why is it so important that we all recognize your superior perspective on this matter? could you possibly just buzz (####) off as you clearly don't have any conclusions of your own?

is your cat doing singing?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #4595
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

We are literally rehashing the same arguments from the first 10 pages of this thread...
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #4596
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I get it now. You don’t understand the concept of police.

I believe the people you’re thinking of are called “secret police” sometimes referred to as Gestapo after the Nazi name for their secret police.

Very different from the police we’re talking about in this thread. But not to worry, a quick google search and some self education via wiki etc and you’ll be up to speed in no time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #4597
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Oh I get it now. You don’t understand the concept of police.

I believe the people you’re thinking of are called “secret police” sometimes referred to as Gestapo after the Nazi name for their secret police.

Very different from the police we’re talking about in this thread. But not to worry, a quick google search and some self education via wiki etc and you’ll be up to speed in no time.
strawman
Old 08-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #4598
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The stats also show a disproportionate number of firearm crimes are committed by black civilians.

According to the US Department of Justice, African Americans accounted for 52.5% of all homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with Whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for African Americans was almost eight times higher than Whites, and the victim rate six times higher.

Could that explain why they are more at risk in the eyes of police?

The name calling is unnecessary.
So cops kill blacks at a higher rate because they're more dangerous? That's your take away? That name calling is because of posters like you who pick and choose what "facts" to take seriously, and which ones you ignore.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #4599
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Ah, I see now that it’s been revealed that the reports of him having a gun were false, we’ve moved on to “well they should still act as though he has a gun!”

Perhaps if they treated alleged criminal Jacob Blake as he walked away from cops without a gun the same as they treated actual killer Kyle Rittenhouse while he walked towards them with a gun, we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation. I mean maybe it ends up the same, I guess, but probably not.

It’s just interesting that the usual suspects are out, again, justifying the shooting of a Black man any way they can. Unfortunately for then, we’re also seeing a White killer who got the complete opposite treatment, and none of them have a problem with it, so it becomes pretty clear what this is actually all about for some people. They’re just a bit afraid to say it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #4600
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Ah, I see now that it’s been revealed that the reports of him having a gun were false, we’ve moved on to “well they should still act as though he has a gun!”

Perhaps if they treated alleged criminal Jacob Blake as he walked away from cops without a gun the same as they treated actual killer Kyle Rittenhouse while he walked towards them with a gun, we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation. I mean maybe it ends up the same, I guess, but probably not.

It’s just interesting that the usual suspects are out, again, justifying the shooting of a Black man any way they can. Unfortunately for then, we’re also seeing a White killer who got the complete opposite treatment, and none of them have a problem with it, so it becomes pretty clear what this is actually all about for some people. They’re just a bit afraid to say it.
It’s much easier if you just come out with a blanket statement that “anyone who disagrees with me in this thread is a racist.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread