Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2023, 08:27 AM   #4581
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I've gone and bit off another project, no chrome on this one haha. Had a bit of a meltdown in the engine bay so lots of plastic to replace but should be able to get it on the road in time for some summer cruising.

Spoiler!
speede5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 08:44 AM   #4582
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as it is in better shape than that garage...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 09:38 AM   #4583
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
As long as it is in better shape than that garage...
Haha, that's my neighbor and the garage is actually pretty nice just needs siding.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:40 AM   #4584
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Haha, that's my neighbor and the garage is actually pretty nice just needs siding.
As a guy who knows how to finish a garage in a timely manner, this bothers me greatly.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:09 AM   #4585
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Maybe a new door as well.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:11 AM   #4586
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's been standing for at least 8 years, iirc.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:47 AM   #4587
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I thought that I'd come up with a clever quip and checked to see when Chrysler ended production... Joke's on me; they're still making them!

In that case, I can only assume there are two buyers - rental fleets and people that care so little about cars and see some sort of lease deal and can muster as much as a limp "oh, why not"
I rented a Dodge Charger about a year-and-a-half ago, and although I don't think I'd ever buy one for myself, after driving it I could see the appeal. Big rear-drive or all-wheel-drive sedan that can hustle, comfortable interior, good ride comfort; other than a few cheap-feeling interior bits I quite liked it.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:00 PM   #4588
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Alright cool, so the quote for new tires, wheels and TPMS looks to be around $3,100. It'll be a little more if you want the nicer tires or wheels etc."

DoubleF:

Tires on cars are getting too GD big!!!!
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:02 PM   #4589
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Stop buying gold-plated wheels.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:22 PM   #4590
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
"Alright cool, so the quote for new tires, wheels and TPMS looks to be around $3,100. It'll be a little more if you want the nicer tires or wheels etc."

DoubleF:

Check the used market - got some almost brand new Vossens with tires that had the rubber knubs on them for like 40% off. Saved thousands.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:59 PM   #4591
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
At least the big wheel trend has come with the added bonuses of worse fuel economy and performance!

And now F1 cars are using bigger wheels ... because they look more like the objectively worse performing wheel sizes used on passenger cars.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:20 PM   #4592
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Stop buying gold-plated wheels.
Earlier we discussed that we pay extra now for #### that doesn't reflect light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Check the used market - got some almost brand new Vossens with tires that had the rubber knubs on them for like 40% off. Saved thousands.
My tire size apparently isn't common. I actually kept erroring out of several tire websites for all weather tires because those companies didn't have availability. Plenty for summers/all seasons and performance tires... just not all weathers. I was just hoping to aim for a ball park figure and I wanted Nokian all weathers and basically the site was like, "Lol. You cannot for this size.".

For wheels, I guess I could have done that. Due to extra time and effort external wheels, fees and scheduling availability, I think I'd save $100-150 per wheel at most. In this case, brand new and convenient makes it worth the extra. $3100 to around $2600-2800 isn't going to be a major factor in this case. I would also hate to get a wheel/rim that's somehow incompatible with the tire/car and create a headache for myself. I was even contemplating swapping the summer tire to the OEM and the winter (currently on the OEM) onto alloys, but decided against that effort.

I just walked into UrbanX and got someone to sort me out. But even he was saying there weren't many options for my tire size.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:17 PM   #4593
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Wheels too big you mean? I don't understand the allure for the smallest sidewall as possible. Just adds massive cost, and not to mention the risk of damaging wheels/tires anywhere you go in Calgary. Every time I see someone with a stupidly low profile tire on a SUV, I have to shake my head. Even moreso when it's got low profile winters. When I buy, I ask for the smallest wheel size possible lol.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:26 PM   #4594
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

New wheels and tires for $3100 doesn't seem that bad at all really.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 07:02 PM   #4595
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Wheels too big you mean? I don't understand the allure for the smallest sidewall as possible. Just adds massive cost, and not to mention the risk of damaging wheels/tires anywhere you go in Calgary. Every time I see someone with a stupidly low profile tire on a SUV, I have to shake my head. Even moreso when it's got low profile winters. When I buy, I ask for the smallest wheel size possible lol.
Mine are oem 19 inch. I can go down to 17, but I read complaints about damage ang other issues when dropping to 17-18 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
New wheels and tires for $3100 doesn't seem that bad at all really.
It's reasonable. But it still felt like drinking a slurpee too fast hearing the numbers out loud.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:02 PM   #4596
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I like 20% personally, dark enough to look nice but not so dark that it's annoying. Also think it looks best when all windows have the same shade rather than darker on the back, but that's just a personal thing
Yeah I prefer the uniform look too…30% front 20% back would still get you a ticket technically anyways.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:16 PM   #4597
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Mine are oem 19 inch. I can go down to 17, but I read complaints about damage ang other issues when dropping to 17-18 inch.
That seems backwards. 17" wheels will give you way more sidewall, and disperse a lot of the force that is transmitted more directly to the wheel with lower profile tires.

In general, people buy cheap aftermarket wheels, and most are ####, so they bend easier than OE wheels. 19" cheap wheels will bend much easier than 17" cheap wheels for the same car, however.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:49 AM   #4598
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I tried dropping from a 17 to a 16 on my mustang just for winter storage tires and the rims wouldn’t clear the brakes. Even if they did there can be interference with tire rods as the rim moves inward.

I also had issues with my 20” rims on the same car rubbing the sway bar in tight turns.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:23 PM   #4599
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
That seems backwards. 17" wheels will give you way more sidewall, and disperse a lot of the force that is transmitted more directly to the wheel with lower profile tires.

In general, people buy cheap aftermarket wheels, and most are ####, so they bend easier than OE wheels. 19" cheap wheels will bend much easier than 17" cheap wheels for the same car, however.
I dunno. it was some type of review where the dude cruises regularly across states, but kept on having to repair his wheels with 17s but it went away when he changed to 18s. Maybe with 17s that reviewer was the right height to destroy the wheels in pot holes and curbs, but 18s it was just slightly above and below to avoid major damage?
Old 05-03-2023, 03:18 PM   #4600
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno. it was some type of review where the dude cruises regularly across states, but kept on having to repair his wheels with 17s but it went away when he changed to 18s. Maybe with 17s that reviewer was the right height to destroy the wheels in pot holes and curbs, but 18s it was just slightly above and below to avoid major damage?
The ride height should be near identical with properly sized tires. It's a super common practice for people to downsize their wheels for winter because of potholes/frozen ruts etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: