Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2021, 08:48 PM   #4581
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
How do you think clubs are fitted?
I know how clubs are fitted, what are you trying to say?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #4582
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m asking you to explain the fitting process.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #4583
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe you Lanny. My arccos lets me know when I don't catch the ball in the middle of the face and you can see a 10-20% drop in the resultant yardage from my average.

Back in the day I got custom fitted for AP2's. They eventually got swiped out of my storage locker, but my parents bought me them as a present. I felt terrible, so I bought the identical model and never told them as a replacement. I couldn't remember the change in lie/loft whether it was +/-1 degree etc when I was fit, so I just went standard. It never made a difference.

What did make a difference over the years was getting footspray out to see where my impacts were, and of course lessons. I've put the work in video taping my swing and that has helped me find more consistency than bending my lies (I do play forged clubs).

Where I do think fitting matters, and what is probably being lost here:
1. Grip size (clubs/putter)
2. Shaft flex
3. Putter length
4. Wedge bounce (I also have my wedges 2degrees delofted which gives me less of a gap between my PW and 52 degree (now 50degree...Facebook marketplace deal on a Vokey).
5. Shaft length
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2021, 10:09 PM   #4584
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And more importantly, properly fitted clubs, with the correct length, lie and the most appropriate shafts, will significantly help most golfers hit the center of the face more often.
Fixed your post.

If you are buying a new set off the rack at Golf Town or through your club this is FREE.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #4585
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m asking you to explain the fitting process.
#### you. If you have a point, make it. But you don't need to be an ####### - we both know the club fitting process. So go ahead - make a point. Or don't, I couldn't care less.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2021, 10:33 PM   #4586
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Fixed your post.

If you are buying a new set off the rack at Golf Town or through your club this is FREE.
I am confused - I don't see where you changed my post
Old 08-11-2021, 10:56 PM   #4587
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am confused - I don't see where you changed my post
Added length before lie.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:05 PM   #4588
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

yes, good add
Old 08-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #4589
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
#### you. If you have a point, make it. But you don't need to be an ####### - we both know the club fitting process. So go ahead - make a point. Or don't, I couldn't care less.
I'm not sure we both know the club fitting process, or the intent of the club fitting process. That's the point. Club fitting is about micro adjustments to correct shot dispersion. It is not a general process that is going to benefit most players. Improper fitting can hurt just as much as proper fitting can help, so it is extremely important to rely on someone who knows what they are doing, hence the impact tape reference.

People mistake the use of technology, through the launch monitor or launch computer, as a means to fitting. While the launch monitor does provide a great deal of of useful information, it does not do a good fit. It will help a tech recommend equipment improvements, or equipment to leverage/minimize swing variations, but it is not the best way of finding those micro adjustments to correct dispersion. Shaft selection may correct wild hooks and slices, but it is not going to correct the improper takeaway that causes the shot bias to begin with. Proper sized grips may make swinging the club more comfortable for the player, but they are not going to change the shot bias created by poor grip. Adding extra length to the shaft is not going to correct poor spine alignment. You are prescribing a pill for the symptom rather than solving the underlying disease. Only lessons and work will solve these problems. Until you solve that underlying problem you're just trying to throw money and technology at a problem that will continue because of poor fundamentals. Until the fundamentals are addressed, the micro adjustments made through the fitting process are completely useless.

The equivalent here is playing hockey with a guy who is a crappy skater and can't shoot the puck. He can go and get the vacuformed skates with the custom foot beds, but that doesn't change the fact his skating technique is terrible. He can go an blow $500 on a the latest carbon fiber stick, but that doesn't change that he doesn't have the fundamentals to make that stick work. Sure, he looks good standing there in the dressing room, and he can tell all his friends that he has custom fitted equipment, but he's still the same ####ty hockey player, with the same uncorrected flaws, just with a lighter wallet.

Let's get right to the crux of the matter here. If your shot dispersion at 100 yards is currently 10 feet, a 1 degree adjustment is likely to help you (1 degree being about six feet at 100 yards). If your shot dispersion from 100 yards is 20 yards (60 feet) that means your swing variation is in the 10 degree range. Is that 1 or 2 degrees going to make a significant difference when the swing is that inconsistent? Now don't think that 20 yards is a lot, because the equivalent of that with the driver is 60 yards dispersion at 300 yards tee distance. That gives you a really good idea what variance there is an average golfer's swing. That's 30 yards off either side of target line. There are lots of players out there that are way worse than that. Only instruction and work can correct this.

If your goal is to select equipment, go to your local big box store or equipment warehouse and get on a launch monitor. Find out your basic swing characteristics and get in the right shaft and head combination. But also understand that until you have a consistent swing (it doesn't even have to be good) all the technology and "fitting" is not going to help. You are not going to address the micro adjustments that will tighten your shot dispersion like proper fitting will address. The problems in your swing are still going to be there and the problems holding your game back are still going to be lurking beneath that new tech. As soon as those old habits adapt to the new tech, the bad swing fundamentals are going to surface and you're heading back to square one.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:32 PM   #4590
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your pontifications do not have the effect you probably wish them to.

Most people play golf for enjoyment. And most people would benefit from club fittings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #4591
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just what I thought. You had, and continue to have, no clue about the fitting process. But thanks for your incredible input and insight.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:15 PM   #4592
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Your pontifications do not have the effect you probably wish them to.

Most people play golf for enjoyment. And most people would benefit from club fittings.
This reminds me of an exchange I had in this very thread with New Era a couple years ago.

He's right, you are wrong and won't stop until you admit you are wrong.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #4593
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regarding Club Fitting, I bought a new set this year from Golf Town, however I don't think I play enough to have a consistent stance, setup, swing path, etc.

If I don't have those thing dialed in, is a fitting a wasted effort?

I'll try to get in 6-8 rounds up north here, then back in Calgary for the holiday weekend and may go in for the fitting.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #4594
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enoch might have a different view than me but here's my $0.02.

Fitting to me means getting irons that are the right length and lie for your current swing. That means that they measure the distance from your hand to the floor to determine an approximate length. Then they have you hit clubs off a lie board, which is a piece of plastic, with a sticker on the bottom that shows where the sole hits the ground.

Hit a few combos of that and you should have an optimal outcome.

That is what I'm suggesting for anyone who is not new to to game and is in the market for new clubs.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #4595
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just what I thought. You had, and continue to have, no clue about the fitting process. But thanks for your incredible input and insight.
LOL

Exactly what I would expect from you. Oblivious, vitriolic arrogance.

Honestly, it astounds me that you continue to put in so much time and effort with this belligerent act. It impresses no one, but that clearly doesn't deter you in the slightest.

You keep doing you.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:14 PM   #4596
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 08-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #4597
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was pretty much just typical Lanny smelling his own farts post.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #4598
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I encourage everyone to go for a club fitting at Golf Town and tell 'em Lanny sent ya!
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #4599
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a KP on a hole in a tournamnet yesterday which allowed me to shoot for a hole in one chance at a million.... Shanked my attempt...
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 08:59 AM   #4600
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Well it would appear the sim2 Max with a reg shaft doesn't work for me. Big, balloon slice (likely because the head can't catch up) or a snap hook when I go to a strong grip.

If I slow my swing down it's generally straight, but I can't go longer than 250. No point in that seeing my 3W M6 is 250.....I need a big club for 275ish!!

Gonna try the stiff shaft here. The contact is definitely there and I like the feel, just gotta get it dialed.

Any recommendations on shafts? I've never really shopped for them before.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow