Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #441
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Just get a NG BBQ and save the hassle of having to buy new burners.

What is your budget?
My budget is flexible. I'm willing to go high if this is something that will last. The bigger concern is space as I am in a condo with a very small balcony. It definitely has to be a compact unit..
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #442
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My budget is flexible. I'm willing to go high if this is something that will last. The bigger concern is space as I am in a condo with a very small balcony. It definitely has to be a compact unit..
I would recommend getting a Weber or a Broil King.

Personally, I prefer Broil King, as I find them to be as well-made (or almost as well made) as Weber, but at a significantly lower price.

There are a ton of different sizes and features to look for. Some that you will want to consider:

- do you plan to rotisserie? if so, get one with a rotisserie burner at the back.
- stainless steel or cast iron grates? I get a better sear with cast iron, but stainless steel is less maintenance.
- do you want a side burner? I have one, that I very very rarely use.

I'd recommend heading over to BBQs Galore (or some other BBQ shop). Look around, ask questions, bring a tape measure to see if it will fit on your balcony.

When you have an idea of what kind you want, you can either buy it from the BBQ shop, or look for a sale somewhere (Home Depot, Lowes, online?)
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #443
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weber. Summit S650 is my BBQ. Big family and needed the cooking surface space. Rock solid for temperature and even cooking. Seriously, just ridiculously good grills.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #444
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good deal on a Broil King Baron 440

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/targe...-99-a-1347404/
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #445
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

tonight's dinner....

jalapeno cheddar cheese smokies and perogies...... sooooo delicious!!!

Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #446
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I thought I would share the sights of some of the delectable suppers that I have done in my smoker recently. Too bad I can't share the smells too. These slow cooked meats are some of the most tender, most tasty meat you could ever eat.

The smoker is is homemade unit that is capable of smoking 50 pounds of sausage at once and can be easily heated up to 325 degrees. This is the third smoker I have made, and I believe, I finally perfected it!

Smoked Beef Sirloin Tip Roast. Rubbed with a homemade rub and Injected with homemade BBQ Sauce. Smoked with a combination of Apple, Alder, Mesquite and Hickory.

Smoked Chicken Breasts, rubbed with Montreal Chicken Spice, eack topped with half a Pear and smoked with Apple and Alder.

Smoked Pork Chops, no seasoning, each topped with a cinnamon covered apple slice. Smoked with Apple Wood.

Smyth's Skate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smyth's Skate For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #447
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth's Skate View Post

The smoker is is homemade unit that is capable of smoking 50 pounds of sausage at once and can be easily heated up to 325 degrees. This is the third smoker I have made, and I believe, I finally perfected it!
Post some pics!
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #448
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

This is a great thread. I like how the OP states that no one will discriminate if you use gas, charcoal, etc. It is much, much different here in the UK where a plurality of people think that gas barbecues are for idiots and that charcoal is the only way. It borders on cultural snobbery. Most British BBQ's are about getting heavily pissed and eating some cheap, burnt sausages and frozen burgers. The concept of cooking daily meals is lost on people. In fact when it comes to grilling chicken, the Brits I know will actually pre-cook the chicken in the oven before putting it on the grill to "finish."

It is nice to read such a positive thread filled with recipes, photos and advice. Well done CP.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #449
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All these BBQ pictures are making me hungry!

Here's a 9 lb apple smoked pork butt I did on Friday on my pellet grill, this pic is about 8 hours into a 13 hour cook. I used a bit more brown sugar than I normally do for my rub, it caramelized nicely but was a bit messier than usual.

TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGrimm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #450
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Post some pics!
Bump!
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #451
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Haven't gone through the thread so just wondering if anyone has any pointers on using a charcoal grill. Just got a small one to use for next year's camping trips and want to practice with it. Thanks.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #452
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bought a charcoal chinmey.
Best investment ever.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #453
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
Haven't gone through the thread so just wondering if anyone has any pointers on using a charcoal grill. Just got a small one to use for next year's camping trips and want to practice with it. Thanks.
I only use charcoal, but what kinds of things do you want to know? I would be more than happy to give a few tips or advice if I can.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #454
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
My grill is showing some age after 5 years, and the flame is really uneven. I replaced the burner with one from Walmart a couple years ago, and it helped a little bit, but didn't last very long.

Is there some kind of 'super' element we could get, or are they really all the same?
An uneven flame can be a result of buildup. All burners have a bunch of tiny holes. Gas flows more quickly through clear holes than clogged ones. A new burner should not help for just a short time. If you take your grates off and have a look, you can see where you need to clean. Grates, flavorizer bars, and burners can be cleared of debris. If there are briquettes, look at the spacing. Cleaning and giving the BBQ a chance to give even heat is important.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #455
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I only use charcoal, but what kinds of things do you want to know? I would be more than happy to give a few tips or advice if I can.
Thanks Slava. I guess I just want to know what needs to be done to prepare the grill for bbqing. I've never used charcoal before and I don't think I've seen anybody use one since I was a little kid. Just too tired to google it.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #456
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

What's everyone's favorite cut of steak? I tried a ribeye the other day and was really not a fan.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #457
StormShadow
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I love ribeye but it can be too fatty for some people. Striploin might be great for you, its another of my favorites. If your looking for super tender go with a... tenderloin! Shocking right? Sirloin is more for cutting up and perhaps putting in a steak salad or something.

edit(addition)

Not sure if its been mentioned but Silk Road Spice merchants has some amazing steak spices/rubs. I really like their Chicago style and the Sharples ranch. They have a kiosk in the Calgary Farmers Market (blackfoot and heritage) as well as a store in Inglewood.

Last edited by StormShadow; 08-18-2013 at 11:15 AM.
StormShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #458
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
Thanks Slava. I guess I just want to know what needs to be done to prepare the grill for bbqing. I've never used charcoal before and I don't think I've seen anybody use one since I was a little kid. Just too tired to google it.
Well the easiest way to get a fire going for cooking is to buy a chimney. Crumple up some paper in the bottom part, fill the top with charcoal, light the paper and let it burn right up through the top. Voila, you're ready to cook.

I have a Looftlighter, which is pretty wicked. It basically starts the fire within seconds, and blows the fire onto other pieces of charcoal. Not at all practical for camping though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
What's everyone's favorite cut of steak? I tried a ribeye the other day and was really not a fan.
I go either sirloin, tenderloin or filet. I can't get ribeye, and don't understand the love for NY strip.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #459
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth's Skate View Post
I thought I would share the sights of some of the delectable suppers that I have done in my smoker recently. Too bad I can't share the smells too. These slow cooked meats are some of the most tender, most tasty meat you could ever eat.

Smoked Beef Sirloin Tip Roast. Rubbed with a homemade rub and Injected with homemade BBQ Sauce. Smoked with a combination of Apple, Alder, Mesquite and Hickory.
That roast looks delicious but the chicken looks a bit dry, was it moist?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #460
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
An uneven flame can be a result of buildup. All burners have a bunch of tiny holes. Gas flows more quickly through clear holes than clogged ones. A new burner should not help for just a short time. If you take your grates off and have a look, you can see where you need to clean. Grates, flavorizer bars, and burners can be cleared of debris. If there are briquettes, look at the spacing. Cleaning and giving the BBQ a chance to give even heat is important.
Is there a proper way or tool to clean the burner? Scrubbing the outside and poking out the holes with a toothpick sort of works, but I think there is a lot of junk inside the tubing.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber