Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #441
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Summer car for me is based on winter driving, not performance. An FRS is not gonna be fun in the winter based on that ground clearance, even if it wouldn’t be quite as bad as an S2000 I don’t think. I feel like I’m in an SUV in my TC coupe next to those things.

But that Audi V8 posted above is not a summer car imo, for example, despite its good performance. That’s an all year vehicle.

Nevertheless, point taken and thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-15-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #442
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any opinions on an Audi SQ5? It seems decent and the interior looks impressive but I rarely see any on the road
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #443
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’ll put in another vote for the G35/G37. I had two, one was a sedan and one was a coupe. No issues with either of them mechanically and they are fun to drive. The sedans were popular “executive wife” cars, so it was common to find them in good shape and low mileage. The coupes seemed to draw an older crowd, so again, you can find some gems. Just be careful as I did find a few completely bagged used ones when I was looking.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #444
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going back to the oil change thing for a second.....

Way back in high school, the method for putting the oil filter back on the vehicle was to turn it until it makes contact and then 3/4 of a turn past that. That still the case? It's the way I've always done mine and normally they come off somewhat easily. Never had an issue but wondering if I've just been lucky?

I've come across a filter that refused to come off and didn't some major damage to it trying. Did eventually come off but think that one was installed by someone who put it back on with some kind of tool. Seem to recall it being critical that you don't over tighten and damage the rubber gasket.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #445
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post

Way back in high school, the method for putting the oil filter back on the vehicle was to turn it until it makes contact and then 3/4 of a turn past that. That still the case? It's the way I've always done mine and normally they come off somewhat easily. Never had an issue but wondering if I've just been lucky?

I've come across a filter that refused to come off and didn't some major damage to it trying. Did eventually come off but think that one was installed by someone who put it back on with some kind of tool. Seem to recall it being critical that you don't over tighten and damage the rubber gasket.
I always do half a turn and a bit of oil on the rubber seal. I had to deal with a stuck oil filter once and it was the biggest pain in the ass ever.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #446
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, forgot about the oiling of the seal. That's critical.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #447
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I almost got a G37 but decided on a CTS Coupe instead. But really liked the G37 or whatever they call it now.

Audi A5/S5 were also in the mix, though for those I really wanted a Sportbak. And the Genesis Coupe.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #448
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’d have zero issue with a regular Miata in the winter time. My car is similarly small and low, and my old Mustang was about the same, and both do just fine in the winter. Unless you’re going to NEED to go out first thing in the AM after a huge snowstorm, a small car is just fine.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #449
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post

It's no different in a modern car. Oiling the seal a little and only hand-tightening the filter is key. Every oil filter manufacturer, every reputable repair manual: they're all still quite adamant that you never, ever use a wrench or other tool to tighten the filter.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #450
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Corvette/Miata/S2000 etc are fun summer only cars, but not the type of cars I'd be comfortable having to occasionally drive in winter conditions.
The tires and ground clearance are going to be the main concerns, so if it were me and I was planning on 'occasional' winter driving in a Corvette, I'd get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S series tires. The summer performance is going to be more than sufficient, and the winter performance is good enough. That's the tire I used on my E-Coupe and it was fine for all except huge dumps of snow, and it had more torque than the above three cars combined.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #451
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The tires and ground clearance are going to be the main concerns, so if it were me and I was planning on 'occasional' winter driving in a Corvette, I'd get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S series tires. The summer performance is going to be more than sufficient, and the winter performance is good enough. That's the tire I used on my E-Coupe and it was fine for all except huge dumps of snow, and it had more torque than the above three cars combined.
That's not fair because the torque in an S2000 is a negative number

Ground clearance is really the only thing that should limit the use of any car in the winter. Good winter tires make all the difference and when you factor in traction control and various other nannies, any modern sports car could handle 99% of road conditions besides clearance issues.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #452
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can drive anything year round here except maybe a F550 Barchetta or another roadster with a snap on canvas boat cover for a "roof". Winter tires make anything viable, and ground clearance is rarely an issue, so long as you don't have one of those terrible garage lined alleys with lunar craters everywhere.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #453
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Love the S2000. Goddamn I had fun in that car for the 6 minutes I was in it.

I probably should have added an age limit too. It definitely falls under the love to have it for a good price but afraid of five figure repairs if anything breaks.
I have owned two S2000's (00' Silverstone Metallic and an 01' Spa Yellow Pearl). They are fantastic cars, I'd love another! I'm an AP1 (2000-2003) aficionado and would only purchase an 02'/03' S2000 if I were to get another as you get the glass rear window and subtle interior updates, but retain the glorious F20C motor. The AP2 S2000 (2004-2009) are just not the same to drive IMO. Honda tried to appease an 'atypical' North American audience who complained of no torque by bumping displacement to 2.2L in order to gain a slight increase in said torque (the suspension geometry was also updated in the AP2's which is an improvement over the earlier cars). You also lost the glorious 9000RPM redline in the AP2 S2000's.

The great thing with the S2000 is they are incredibly reliable and easy to maintain, many examples have over 200K with nary an issue. Don't let the maintenance frighten you because of age/mileage. As long as the car has been properly maintained to begin with, you can put your mind at ease in that regard.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 10:15 PM   #454
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'm sure the DSG is fine, but I feel like the Golf is pretty much the ideal car to have with a manual in. Like at the very end of the run of manuals in mass-market cars, I picture that to be the last car that comes with a stick.
Alas!

My then girlfriend, now wife, taught me to drive manual in her 1986 Golf back in 1990. She completed all her driver training and did her road test in a manual Toyota Tercel before getting her dream Golf after she got her DL. She subsequently had a manual 1995 Golf followed by a manual 2002 Golf before moving into a manual 2003 Subaru Forester when our first child arrived. She now drives a Toyota Sienna

I still fondly remember the crank open, all metal sunroof in the 86' Golf (and many other vintage German cars for that matter). Much simpler times!
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 10:56 PM   #455
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Like the Porsche (maintenance concerns aside) but yeah I don’t want a sedan, regardless what’s under the hood. Especially not a German one.

You could put an F1 engine in there and I’d still pick an FRS for the same price. Nice sedan, I just done want one.
Audi TT?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #456
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
It's no different in a modern car. Oiling the seal a little and only hand-tightening the filter is key. Every oil filter manufacturer, every reputable repair manual: they're all still quite adamant that you never, ever use a wrench or other tool to tighten the filter.
Depends where the filter is located. On some vehicles you cannot hand tighten enough because of location and thus need the wrench.

The key is 1) oil on the gasket of new filter and 2) follow instructions on the canister which usually says 3/4 turn past initial contact.

Also good practice to use OEM filter.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #457
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else see the Z reveal last night? I thought it was okay but I'm having a really difficult time getting over the perfectly rectangular grill opening. Looks unfinished.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #458
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like it is designed for something....

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #459
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the back end. Front is... unoffensive, but I think I'd need to see it in person to make a judgment. I think the headlights look good but it's sort of hard to tell from what's shown. Interior looks more or less fine, again unoffensive.

I'm just wondering what they price it at here. If it's at Supra levels, that's just too much money.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #460
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The lines are kinda Camaro'ish.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote