Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #441
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

"The best board game I ever played": This old CFL simulation packs a punch

https://thestarphoenix.com/sports/fo...packs-a-punch/

Quote:
Terry Appleby created these cardboard men, starting in 1974, and kept the hatchery running for years. He distilled brains, brawn and fast-twitch muscles into numbers. Those numbers made a board game. That board game — Sports Action Canadian Pro Football — is, by the reckoning of many who follow these things, one of the great all-time gridiron simulations.

“It’s brilliant. The best board game I ever played,” says Tom Tango, the senior data architect for Major League Baseball Advanced Media, and a man who has launched many an influential dive into sports numbers. “Just the smart combination of the intricacies of how football works, as well as ease of play, was phenomenal.”

Garth has poured thousands of hours into this quiet but precocious little game, and not just as a player. He keeps it alive by creating updated cards every year, and makes them available for free download.

So if you want to play the 1975 CFL season using the original formulation, that opportunity exists. If you’d rather play the 2019 season, with Cody Fajardo at quarterback on one side and Andrew Harris running through line gaps on the other, fire up your printer, because Garth has you covered.

https://rpggeek.com/boardgame/5618/s...football/files

Last edited by troutman; 05-19-2020 at 04:23 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #442
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Earliest the league will play games this year is September, playing the Grey Cup in December is a possibility and there's this little nugget...

The team that qualifies for the Grey Cup and has a superior regular season record to its opponent will host the Grey Cup Game. This gives all nine CFL teams a shot at hosting the Grey Cup in this unprecedented year. We are also considering moving the Grey Cup into December, as we explore every option that will allow us to play as many games as possible in 2020.

https://3downnation.com/2020/05/20/c...nd-host-model/
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #443
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Update from the league:

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/05/20/cfl-is...egarding-2020/

No games till at least September.
Grey Cup to not be at a neutral site.
Regina to host 2022 Grey Cup.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:56 PM   #444
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Earliest the league will play games this year is September, playing the Grey Cup in December is a possibility and there's this little nugget...

The team that qualifies for the Grey Cup and has a superior regular season record to its opponent will host the Grey Cup Game. This gives all nine CFL teams a shot at hosting the Grey Cup in this unprecedented year. We are also considering moving the Grey Cup into December, as we explore every option that will allow us to play as many games as possible in 2020.

I just hope they can play...at all.

Going in to December, though not ideal, is better than the alternative.

Kind of cool that whoever has the best record in the game hosts....gives every team a huge incentive for sure.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #445
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not just have the playoffs and GC held in BC place if the season goes into late November/December? I don't think good football is played outdoors when the temperatures are extremely frigid which is always a possibility in Canada late November.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:19 PM   #446
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why not just have the playoffs and GC held in BC place if the season goes into late November/December? I don't think good football is played outdoors when the temperatures are extremely frigid which is always a possibility in Canada late November.
There have been way more great GC games than SB games, and they almost always play in a dome or warm weather city.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #447
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listened to Ambrosie on a live webcast today and I’m quite impressed. He’s well spoken and I think the league has this in hand. I think Ambrosie is doing a good job. He said no play this summer perhaps with a shortened season starting in September. Lots to work out, of course.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #448
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I can’t imagine what the fall TV landscape is going to look like with every single sport on the planet hitting high gear at the same time.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #449
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny. I love the Jets but I would sooner lose them than the Bombers. The idea of the CFL disappearing isn't just awful for sports fans, it's a Canadian institution. Which makes reading social media hot takes about the league the more infuriating.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #450
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Yay or nay?

https://www.flamesport.com/products/...ootball-onesie
Old 05-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #451
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

ummm hard no

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #452
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait to see people show up to walmart in those
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #453
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post

This is asinine in my opinion. If the Grey Cup is played in December it has to be indoors. Realistically thought of outdoor football after October is wrong because of the weather. Sure the weather might be acceptable on any given weekend in Calgary, Toronto or Montreal but more likely than not any given weekend in Nov/Dec is going to be cold and/or snowing in Edmonton, Regina and Winnipeg. I feel bad for the players and broadcast crews that might be exposes to this ####. Are fans of the CFL actually going to care about a Grey Cup game if it is played outdoors and it is -30 or a blizzard? The game will suck.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:00 PM   #454
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ All valid points, but in a year like this I think you have to embrace the craziness and take it as it comes. And yes, I could definitely see hometown fans coming out to a Grey Cup to see their team regardless of the weather.

The hard part will be getting approval to have more than 500 people in the stands to start with. I appreciate they probably don’t want to make take official position but I would assume games in empty stadiums are a non-starter?

Last edited by tvp2003; 05-22-2020 at 10:02 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #455
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
This is asinine in my opinion. If the Grey Cup is played in December it has to be indoors. Realistically thought of outdoor football after October is wrong because of the weather. Sure the weather might be acceptable on any given weekend in Calgary, Toronto or Montreal but more likely than not any given weekend in Nov/Dec is going to be cold and/or snowing in Edmonton, Regina and Winnipeg. I feel bad for the players and broadcast crews that might be exposes to this ####. Are fans of the CFL actually going to care about a Grey Cup game if it is played outdoors and it is -30 or a blizzard? The game will suck.
Last years GC was in Calgary on Nov.24, the year before in Edmonton on Nov. 25, the year before that in Ottawa on Nov.26 and so on.

All outdoor venues.

Does moving it back 7 or 14 days really add that much of an issue as far as conditions go?

Could be nice, could be brutal, could be in a dome....who knows?

Just not that big of a deal.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #456
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Last years GC was in Calgary on Nov.24, the year before in Edmonton on Nov. 25, the year before that in Ottawa on Nov.26 and so on.

All outdoor venues.

Does moving it back 7 or 14 days really add that much of an issue as far as conditions go?

Yeah I don’t see any difference between late November in late December in terms of weather. In Regina in 2013 it was about -40 C with a strong wind all week until game day when it warmed up. It was so bad there was talk of moving the game. It would have literally been unplayable and unwatchable if it stayed -40.

I think they should play the Grey cup on Christmas Day. That would be ####ing amazing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #457
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah I don’t see any difference between late November in late December in terms of weather. In Regina in 2013 it was about -40 C with a strong wind all week until game day when it warmed up. It was so bad there was talk of moving the game. It would have literally been unplayable and unwatchable if it stayed -40.

I think they should play the Grey cup on Christmas Day. That would be ####ing amazing.
Hitch up Quick Six with a harness and have him pull Santa in a sleigh delivering the Grey Cup to the Stamps
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #458
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Will it fit over a snowsuit ??
Old 05-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #459
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

All outdoor venues.

I have been to the last 4 grey cups. A couple of them we cold and snowy and a couple of them were fairly nice, had a great time at all four!!
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #460
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
I have been to the last 4 grey cups. A couple of them we cold and snowy and a couple of them were fairly nice, had a great time at all four!!
Yup...i have a couple buddies who havent missed one in over 20 years, never do they worry about the weather and certainly not enough to worry about pushing it back a week or 2. Its part of the tradition of GC week. Be prepared for anything and all will be fine.

Its more imperative that the CFL has a season above any other league IMO, because if they dont, there may never be another game again under its current iteration.

The CFL has faced this before but never like this. Whatever it takes to play...has to be done.