Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #441
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Why does everyone crap on Enterprise? I mean, lame theme song aside I think the best of Enterprise was better than the best of Voyager. I think its weakest episodes were still better than the weakest episodes of Voyager.
I guess it's not fair simply because voy had more seasons. S2 of Ent is just incredibly boring. Nothing happens. And the start of S4 was stupid.

"Goodbye everybody, I must return to my timeline, until the writers need me again!"

Also I know it's a somewhat unpopular opinion, but Scott Bakula is not a very good actor.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #442
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I guess it's not fair simply because voy had more seasons. S2 of Ent is just incredibly boring. Nothing happens. And the start of S4 was stupid.

"Goodbye everybody, I must return to my timeline, until the writers need me again!"

Also I know it's a somewhat unpopular opinion, but Scott Bakula is not a very good actor.
Was anyone on Voyager a good actor? I think that the first three seasons showcased the worst impulses of Brannon and Braga. They had jumped the shark as showrunners, and that is unfortunate. As mentioned above, Manny Coto was a breath of fresh air into that show, and I wish that he had an opportunity to run with the regular seven Star Trek seasons.

The cancellation and the final episode had Braga jealousy written all over it, as he was still producer.

To be honest, once Roddenberry died, the quality of people with power running Star Trek has just been rolling downhill. Anytime there is an outside influence, Star Trek comes back alive. Even Lower Decks has a pretty big producer roster (and although there is Kurtzman, there is also Roddenberry's son), but the writing and direction are all outside of regular Star Trek.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:56 PM   #443
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well let's keep in mind we're comparing two not very good shows, but I'd say:

- Robert Picardo
- Jeri Ryan

At the very least. Probably Kate Mulgrew as well.

And what the heck:

Old 08-31-2021, 04:10 PM   #444
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate you so much.

You just combined two shows into one abomination.

I hope you're please with yourself.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 04:35 PM   #445
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correction: I embedded the abomination.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #446
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Startrek.com has releaseda look into the series bibles online for TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT.
They're not very long but are interesting, and you can see what they changed when they got to air.

https://ca.startrek.com/news/a-look-...-series-bibles
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #447
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple new things - they’re doing a big live steam thing for the 55th anniversary next week. Likely to be some new trailers and hopefully a premiere date or too. Released a pretty great trailer for it as well:

And also the release of the title sequence for Star Trek Prodigy, which is pretty freakin great

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #448
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

That trailer for the 55 years absolutely lit me up. 10/10.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #449
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not really my style to focus on things that bother me...except the Flames (please note sports-specific reference, likely my first for CP), but I painfully rewatched seasons 2+3 of Discovery last month, and the show ranking posts from this week have reawakened my unsuppressed repugnance and there's no better place to vomit than this thread:

I gave Discovery a lot of leeway in first season cause for whatever confounding reason Star Trek shows need a really long runway to get off the ground. Then in S2 the thing that really carried the show was Captain Cullen Bohannon and Spock. But season three was absolute garbage - and what's worse is it set itself up to be something different and exciting. However by the end of the season every other scene was slapping us over the head with a social message. Great, I get it: diversity, IDIC, yadda-yadda, but any sort of salient story lines, character development, or inertia kept getting trampled

And as for the characters, aside from Burnham, I would have thought I'd have learned, well, *any* other character's name by now, but they're just so utterly uninteresting and unmemorable, or downright f'n annoying that I havent

I always thought Voyager was the worst, but even that show had some good episodes, and a handful of great ones. No episode of Discovery--nothing--stands out as a Top 10, let alone a Top 100 episode of Star Trek

Not really sure where my ire is to be directed--writing, direction, acting, casting, the studio--the show was just a miss on so many levels

finally, I'm honestly surprised Discovery was renewed. But of course I'll tune in next season cause I hate myself. Will also watch the Flames this fall cause I really hate myself. Was thinking I might watch Picard again, but I just don't know how much I can take
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #450
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Not really my style to focus on things that bother me...except the Flames (please note sports-specific reference, likely my first for CP), but I painfully rewatched seasons 2+3 of Discovery last month, and the show ranking posts from this week have reawakened my unsuppressed repugnance and there's no better place to vomit than this thread:

I gave Discovery a lot of leeway in first season cause for whatever confounding reason Star Trek shows need a really long runway to get off the ground. Then in S2 the thing that really carried the show was Captain Cullen Bohannon and Spock. But season three was absolute garbage - and what's worse is it set itself up to be something different and exciting. However by the end of the season every other scene was slapping us over the head with a social message. Great, I get it: diversity, IDIC, yadda-yadda, but any sort of salient story lines, character development, or inertia kept getting trampled

And as for the characters, aside from Burnham, I would have thought I'd have learned, well, *any* other character's name by now, but they're just so utterly uninteresting and unmemorable, or downright f'n annoying that I havent

I always thought Voyager was the worst, but even that show had some good episodes, and a handful of great ones. No episode of Discovery--nothing--stands out as a Top 10, let alone a Top 100 episode of Star Trek

Not really sure where my ire is to be directed--writing, direction, acting, casting, the studio--the show was just a miss on so many levels

finally, I'm honestly surprised Discovery was renewed. But of course I'll tune in next season cause I hate myself. Will also watch the Flames this fall cause I really hate myself. Was thinking I might watch Picard again, but I just don't know how much I can take

I don't get why people like Disco either, and I dislike it for a lot of the same reasons you did; but the ultimate reason I don't like it is because it's the Michael Show - it seems that every single event in the universe revolves around her. And even when she was demoted or whatever, or she's in a meeting with higher ranking people, she's giving orders and acting all in charge, and everyone just kind of lets her.

Terrible.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #451
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stopped watching Discovery after the first season, and just reading that description of seasons two and three, made me mad. It's like Paramount is going out of their way to make me hate Star Trek, when I thought of myself as an unshakable fan.

From the moment they made Voyager more powerful than all of Star Fleet combined, the insulting ending to Enterprise, to the horrible Abramsverse movies (made by someone who himself said he didn't like Trek), to whatever the hell Disco was, to Picard actually being a remake of Space Pirates.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #452
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Discovery and Picard make the Kelvin Trilogy look like masterpieces in comparison. Even Into Darkness. Yeah there’s lot of plot holes and stupidity too but at least they’re super entertaining, well cast, with some solid dialogue and interesting characters. Star Trek 09 is a legitimately fun sci-if movie, and Beyond is actually a pretty good Trek film. Into Darkness well… has great special effects at least.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #453
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I stopped watching Discovery after the first season, and just reading that description of seasons two and three, made me mad. It's like Paramount is going out of their way to make me hate Star Trek, when I thought of myself as an unshakable fan.

From the moment they made Voyager more powerful than all of Star Fleet combined, the insulting ending to Enterprise, to the horrible Abramsverse movies (made by someone who himself said he didn't like Trek), to whatever the hell Disco was, to Picard actually being a remake of Space Pirates.
Ok I give you Into Darkness, that was pure drek. And the first one while a decent movie was more generic sci-fi than Star Trek. But Beyond is a great Trek movie, no doubt because people who actually get the series wrote it. I'd put that one right below Wrath of Khan and First Contact
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #454
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

True, Beyond was co-written by Simon Pegg, who I like a lot. You can tell the parts that he had a hand in. And the cast is great, although that whole three movie series didn't know what to do with the antagonists, or the actors that played them.

Star : Trek into Darkness is below Star Trek V on the scale.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #455
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
True, Beyond was co-written by Simon Pegg, who I like a lot. You can tell the parts that he had a hand in. And the cast is great, although that whole three movie series didn't know what to do with the antagonists, or the actors that played them.

Star : Trek into Darkness is below Star Trek V on the scale.
V is a half-decent film though! And it gets points for being Trek!

It isnt a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:47 PM   #456
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Star Trek V is awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. It’s just become a meme that it’s “the bad one” from people who haven’t watched it in 25+ years

The only one I struggle to say anything nice about at all is Nemesis.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #457
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

TFF greatly expanded the characterizations of many of the crew. It also expanded what the Federation was and was probably the first fleshed out look at non-Federation territory.

But it also had some terrible scenes, the Scotty hitting the bulkhead scene is particularly galling, the SFX are abysmal even by that time's standards, and it drags on far far too long.

It's still the worst out of the first six, and it's a chasm between fifth and sixth.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #458
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is Janeway confirmed to be a hologram in Prodigy? It makes the most sense and it seemed to show her in "code" in the trailer.

I hope my son likes this! Then maybe I can use that to kick down the rest of the star trek door hahahaha
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #459
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Ok, I'll play.

1. DS9
2. TNG
3. Lower Decks
4. TOS
5. Picard
6. Voyager
7. Enterprise
8. Discovery
I'm late to the party but in preference for Star Trek or Trek inspired content for what I would rather sit down and enjoy:

1. DS9
2. TOS
3. Interplay 25th Anniversary & Judgement Rites TOS PC Games
4. TOS Movies
5. Babylon 5
6. TNG
7. The Orville
8. Lower Decks
9. Kelvin Movieverse
10. TNG Movies
11. Galaxy Quest
12. Voyager
13. Enterprise
14. Seaquest DSV/2032
15. Discovery Season 2 (Pike + Spock)

TRASH COMPACTOR

14. Picard

SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT

15. Discovery Season 1 & 3
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #460
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've decided to forgo Disco this season. It's just been nothing but loud noises and terrible plots.