Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2024, 12:39 PM   #441
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still remember the day I saw a roads truck pull up on Nosehill drive, put on his lights, walk around and heft a big plastic bag of warm asphalt patch out of the back of the truck, cut it open, and then fill a pot hole with it. Before that day, I had no idea asphat patching came in plastic bags as well. Kind of the size of like a quick set concrete bag.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 12:55 PM   #442
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an asphalt driveway, and you can buy those bags at hardware stores. Handy for patching.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2024, 04:51 PM   #443
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

They used that crap in a bag to fix a gathering of pot holes and a long ass crack on the road near my house. I don't know which is worse, the original pot holes, or the frigging bumpy moonscape they created with that patching material. Total amateur hour.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2024, 08:01 PM   #444
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
By doubling or tripling the crews and working nights and weekends.

But ya I get it budgets and other priorities.
Calgary has been getting more restrictive on weekend closures for major roads, but a night shift isn't usually long enough to do most bridge rehab tasks. Staffing is also a big issue. Most construction companies are struggling to find and retain people, so asking people to work long hours, nights and weekends is getting harder to do.

Last edited by Mazrim; 06-03-2024 at 08:03 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-11-2024, 12:20 PM   #445
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know what is going on at 4th st and McKnight NW? The road has been closed for several days, and their is no info anywhere on the city pages I can find.

I assume they are stealing some water pipe to fix the Bowness break, but am open to alternate theories/realities.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:00 PM   #446
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Anyone know what is going on at 4th st and McKnight NW? The road has been closed for several days, and their is no info anywhere on the city pages I can find.

I assume they are stealing some water pipe to fix the Bowness break, but am open to alternate theories/realities.
It's overshadowed by the feeder main break but Highwood also has a water main break:

https://www.calgary.ca/water/custome...r-outages.html
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 05:10 PM   #447
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I took a look today.

Spoiler!

'tis a small pipe. It's just kinda shocking water would(should?) communicate with roads to notify them of the shutdown, and the expected closure, and then, you know, citizens could understand wtf is going on and how long they need to detour. You know, kind of basic stuff? This has been several days now, so it's not a one day project.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:13 PM   #448
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Water actually does their own road closures, usually don't involve the Traffic department at all unless it's a very large closure they can't handle themselves
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 05:27 PM   #449
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
^Water actually does their own road closures, usually don't involve the Traffic department at all unless it's a very large closure they can't handle themselves
OK, but I assume they can't update the road closure map, or the city traffic map(currently showing really slow flow there, even though it's completely closed). I dunno, if it's more than a day I think someone should let the public know, and then it gets mentioned in traffic reports, shows on this map, and Google Maps at minimum.

https://maps.calgary.ca/TrafficInformation/

Don't tell me that guy standing around with the clipboard is too busy!
Old 06-11-2024, 07:00 PM   #450
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Water was always bad for that back when I worked for the city, they just do their own thing and don't talk to anyone
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 07:23 PM   #451
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is clearly all Phil Rizzuto's fault.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:23 PM   #452
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, Water, you are rapidly ascending my list...
Old 06-11-2024, 09:44 PM   #453
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Typical City Hall where the left hand doesn't talk to the right hand.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:21 AM   #454
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Province really has no excuse for the condition of Deerfoot and stiffing the cities on funding, the economy is cooking and most oil sands projects are post payout. They don't even bother throwing cold mix into any but the worst ones. The center lane on northbound before 17th ave SE is a complete joke.

Time for Diet Kristi Noem and Ric McIver to spend some money.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2024, 07:25 AM   #455
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they are holding off on any major repaving until all the Deerfoot projects are done?
Old 06-12-2024, 09:52 AM   #456
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if they are holding off on any major repaving until all the Deerfoot projects are done?
Realistically they can only do a small percentage of the whole thing in a summer. It will take years to get it back to good condition.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:56 AM   #457
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Realistically they can only do a small percentage of the whole thing in a summer. It will take years to get it back to good condition.
They could have done a ton of paving during the spring closures if they were serious about fixing the worst spots.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:01 AM   #458
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll always read a good penetrator story.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...234411?cmp=rss
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 09:42 AM   #459
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually wonder if some of this has to do with the city workers sorta slowing down and watching other unions as the strike stuff begins. I know CUPE 38 is doing the work to rule stuff as they continue negotiations. Yes, city vs province is different, but everyone kinda watches each other.

Not sure who is who in terms of some of the City of Calgary worker strikes, but I have no doubt in my mind that some departments are kinda scaling back slightly and watching other departments, even if they themselves are not striking. I've seemingly seen a lot more large open construction projects with barely anyone wandering around them. I've wondered if this is connected.

I did hear from someone that the unions did temporarily reduce their push for aggressive strike actions until after the water main is sorted out. Whether this is more for media reasons (valid) and/or because obviously union members are citizens of this city and also affected by this, doesn't matter. But what I did hear was that it was intentional to get the water main stuff sorted out before focusing on the negotiations/strike stuff again.

Quote:
I'll always read a good penetrator story.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...234411?cmp=rss
Maybe I see it because I want to see it as a Calgarian, but I find it kinda funny that the 1968 proposition picture for that road kinda has a shape that looks like a saddle.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:28 AM   #460
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The Province really has no excuse for the condition of Deerfoot and stiffing the cities on funding, the economy is cooking and most oil sands projects are post payout. They don't even bother throwing cold mix into any but the worst ones. The center lane on northbound before 17th ave SE is a complete joke.

Time for Diet Kristi Noem and Ric McIver to spend some money.
I have a little sports car and was way down south for the first time last night in a long while. I was coming back north on Deerfoot near Anderson and my car is literally bouncing up and down. I thought I blew a tire or something. Exited at the shopping centre as I thought something was really wrong. The condition of the road is brutal.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post: