Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #441
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I mean... damn, I don't really blame you overmuch for wheeling him like that I guess, it's up to him if he wants to take a $1500 loss like that. But you could have just told him "no dice, but I actually know a guy who'd take it off your hands for what you paid for it". Everyone's happy. Don't mean to call you out, just what I would have done.
I really don't get your judgement - 'wheeling him'. Pylon does this for a living. He had a choice of saying "No" or giving him an offer as he sees fit. The buyer
had choice to accept or not. Pylon had no contractual or moral obligation to do anything.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #442
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pylon clearly doesn't support the NDP. Damn capitalist jerk, expecting return on his monetary risks!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #443
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
I really don't get your judgement - 'wheeling him'. Pylon does this for a living. He had a choice of saying "No" or giving him an offer as he sees fit. The buyer
had choice to accept or not. Pylon had no contractual or moral obligation to do anything.
To make it clear, this wasn't a business transaction. It was a personal vehicle I was selling. I have to follow all the same rules everyone else does with selling personal transactions. In fact, I'm ultra paranoid and diligent on private transactions so nothing bites me in butt.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:15 PM   #444
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
But I don't take any crap on Kijiji. If I list something for 10 grand. I'll tell the person. "It's 10 grand. Don't even show up if you're planning to make an offer. Period. No flexibility." If they have an issue with that. No problem. But I price my stuff right.
Quote:
LOL. Actually had this happen.

Dude buys a motorcycle from me for $4500 I was asking $5000 for right at the end of the season. It was a really good deal. He takes it home and all is well.
He must have played you like a fiddle in order to get $500 off.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #445
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
To make it clear, this wasn't a business transaction. It was a personal vehicle I was selling. I have to follow all the same rules everyone else does with selling personal transactions. In fact, I'm ultra paranoid and diligent on private transactions so nothing bites me in butt.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply you did this professionally on Kijiji.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #446
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was giving away some underlay on kijiji. Someone emailed saying they wanted it, so I said I'd leave it on my driveway and went to work. I got an email back later saying thanks, and would I like to stop by for a beer after work.

The person who had emailed was my next door neighbour renovating his basement.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #447
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-free-stuff/c...ationFlag=true

Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #448
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually had a really good week with some guitar deals recently on Kijiji.

Sold a guitar, guy did some haggling over messages, we agree on a price & said between 7:00-9:00 that evening. 6:55 he text me that he's on his way, had cash in hand 40 minutes later.

Bought a guitar, been watching the add for a month now for a guitar+amp, had no need for the amp so I asked if he'd split them up. Made him a slightly low-ball offer, he came back with a reasonable (but still a great deal) counter and I picked it two days later.

Honestly the sale I did was by far the smoothest kijiji transaction I've ever had, was happy to roll the cash from one sale into another purchase.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #449
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I purchased a musical instrument on Kijiji too a couple of months ago.. been looking for a while, when I saw what I wanted come up with a great price come up I messaged him but was already too late, BUT he had ANOTHER even better one for sale for the same price that he hadn't put up for sale yet. Saved over 75% off buying new!

Bought a few other music related items since and have had great experiences.

Music Kijiji people seem to be quite a cut above regular Kijiji people in my limited experience.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #450
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I purchased a musical instrument on Kijiji too a couple of months ago.. been looking for a while, when I saw what I wanted come up with a great price come up I messaged him but was already too late, BUT he had ANOTHER even better one for sale for the same price that he hadn't put up for sale yet. Saved over 75% off buying new!

Bought a few other music related items since and have had great experiences.

Music Kijiji people seem to be quite a cut above regular Kijiji people in my limited experience.
Either that, or you bought a stolen 'musical instrument' that he was too chicken to actually put a picture of on kijiji.

/kijijipessimist
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #451
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Agree a million times. I’ve bought and sold various drum things at all price points on Kijiji. No bull#### offers, no flakes, no tire kickers. Pleasant people looking for legit equipment.

Therefore, musicians>others.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #452
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Either that, or you bought a stolen 'musical instrument' that he was too chicken to actually put a picture of on kijiji.

/kijijipessimist
Haha could be, if so he's doing VERY well at it given his house lol. He had the original receipt from Axe, though I guess that doesn't really prove anything.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #453
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Agree a million times. I’ve bought and sold various drum things at all price points on Kijiji. No bull#### offers, no flakes, no tire kickers. Pleasant people looking for legit equipment.

Therefore, musicians>others.
It was actually a drum kit I bought, Pearl Vision VBX. The cymbals are B8 Pros and the other kit he was selling had Zildjian ZBTs which I kind of like better (though I'll eventually replace them if I stick with this I'm sure), but the shells were slightly lower quality. The biggest difference is the stands, I can't get over how hefty and sturdy the stands are in the kit I bought, I was renting a pretty nice Mapex kit for a while, and these stands make those things look like pipe cleaners!

At any rate $500 for a full birch kit, plus a crash/ride and china cymbal and cow bell thrown in, it's already way more kit than I can warrant at this point, but I figure if I decided to quit playing and take up bass guitar instead I could sell it for a lot more.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:36 PM   #454
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

2 pieces of advice. Put proper heads on and learn to tune them, and you’ll never “need” another kit. And always check Kijiji/drum shops used section for cymbals. They get played the absolute most, are absurdly pricey new, and have the single greatest impact on your overall sound...other than the snare, which took me 12 years to find, restore and finally end up with one that I really love. Happy drumming!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #455
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
2 pieces of advice. Put proper heads on and learn to tune them, and you’ll never “need” another kit.

lol that's like saying put a new set of strings on a guitar and you will never need another one....when clearly I will absolutely need another 5-10 guitars over the rest of my life.

My wife once asked me why I needed more than 1 guitar. I asked her why she had 15 pairs of shoes in the closet.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #456
photon

Exp:

Quote:
2 pieces of advice. Put proper heads on and learn to tune them, and you’ll never “need” another kit. And always check Kijiji/drum shops used section for cymbals. They get played the absolute most, are absurdly pricey new, and have the single greatest impact on your overall sound...other than the snare, which took me 12 years to find, restore and finally end up with one that I really love. Happy drumming!
Yeah just getting a little bit into tuning, and coming from a regular music instrument background where tuning was straight forward (make it play the correct frequency), tuning drums feels like "do random stuff until you like how it sounds" lol. Every video has a different suggestion, I would have thought there was one common procedure but apparently not!

Still just learning though so not overly worried about it at this point.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #457
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah just getting a little bit into tuning, and coming from a regular music instrument background where tuning was straight forward (make it play the correct frequency), tuning drums feels like "do random stuff until you like how it sounds" lol. Every video has a different suggestion, I would have thought there was one common procedure but apparently not!

Still just learning though so not overly worried about it at this point.
With the heads try to tune one lug partially, then the opposite lug partially (the same amount), repeat multiple times around the head until finish. Rather than going around in a circle or tightening one all the way and moving on to the next.

This seems to be the most common procedure in my experience and always worked the best for me.

Last edited by jayswin; 05-16-2018 at 03:53 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #458
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm doing a Kijiji experiment.

I've started just leaving items out for people who have confirmed that they are coming.

Mostly because I have 2 young kids and a big dog so I don't want people ringing the doorbell and all the commotion it brings.

Ive slowly upped the value of the items and I'm currently at $60.

Not one person has flaked out on me, or not left the money in my mailbox or under my front mat.

I usually get a friendly text or email after they have picked up the item. One person sent me a picture of themselves wearing the item (helmet) and one person sent me a picture of the item after it was installed (tv wall mount).

Faith in Kijiji humanity restored!
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #459
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I'm doing a Kijiji experiment.

I've started just leaving items out for people who have confirmed that they are coming.

Mostly because I have 2 young kids and a big dog so I don't want people ringing the doorbell and all the commotion it brings.

Ive slowly upped the value of the items and I'm currently at $60.

Not one person has flaked out on me, or not left the money in my mailbox or under my front mat.

I usually get a friendly text or email after they have picked up the item. One person sent me a picture of themselves wearing the item (helmet) and one person sent me a picture of the item after it was installed (tv wall mount).

Faith in Kijiji humanity restored!
There's a whole underground economy of people trading/selling items like this via facebook groups.

I know my friends in Cranston are part of a "Cranston trade & swap" kinda group and they have a rubbermaid tub on their patio for exactly this. A colleague of mine in Cochrane bought a necklace for his GF and said he picked it up via this method, the seller said "leave the cash in an envelope", the bin had a dozen other envelopes of cash in it.

I'm fascinated by it personally, on the one hand we've got police/kijiji/facebook saying "meet in a public place!" but in practice people are making it a faceless transaction.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #460
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
lol that's like saying put a new set of strings on a guitar and you will never need another one....when clearly I will absolutely need another 5-10 guitars over the rest of my life.

My wife once asked me why I needed more than 1 guitar. I asked her why she had 15 pairs of shoes in the closet.
“Need” being the key there. Also, a drums heads have a far greater affect on the overall sound than a guitars strings
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post: