Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #441
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Now it's my turn to ask Weitz how Elks is looking this season?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #442
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was great. Really good conditions.

I am not really a fan of having the tee boxes so close on a lot of the holes. Slightly distracting IMO, but with being in a city you have to deal with it.

The back played pretty slow, but we finished the round in about 4 hours 15 minutes, so not too bad.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #443
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

River's Edge just punched and topdressed their greens this week. Might want to give it a week for them to grow in. All this moisture today will help alot.

That place is really doing a lot of work to make it better. The drainage work they are doing is really starting to pay off. I really like the tee box that they added post flood on #13. It reduces the severity of the dogleg just enough that you can squeeze a straight shot a bit further down the fairway.

They have also removed a fair number of trees by the 12th green to improve the amount of sun that green gets. It wasn't the healthiest on the course and they resodded a large part of it last year.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #444
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
River's Edge just punched and topdressed their greens this week. Might want to give it a week for them to grow in. All this moisture today will help alot.

That place is really doing a lot of work to make it better. The drainage work they are doing is really starting to pay off. I really like the tee box that they added post flood on #13. It reduces the severity of the dogleg just enough that you can squeeze a straight shot a bit further down the fairway.

They have also removed a fair number of trees by the 12th green to improve the amount of sun that green gets. It wasn't the healthiest on the course and they resodded a large part of it last year.
I really like the back nine of this course. The front nine is just disappointing with the lack of trees. Just back an forth and have to be careful standing on tee boxes with balls coming in.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #445
KidCanada
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've got a question around clubs - what do people use for chipping near the green?
I have a gap wedge (52 degree's) and I've always used this for short chips but I've found that i really am all over the place with it and i used that club anywhere from ~50 yards in to chipping from the fringe so i am always adjusting how i hit it.
Should i be adding another club?
KidCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #446
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanada View Post
I've got a question around clubs - what do people use for chipping near the green?
I have a gap wedge (52 degree's) and I've always used this for short chips but I've found that i really am all over the place with it and i used that club anywhere from ~50 yards in to chipping from the fringe so i am always adjusting how i hit it.

8 iron or 56 degree for me. I also carry a 48 and 62 but they are rarely used.
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #447
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanada View Post
I would start chipping with short irons as well- depending on the situation, you might chip with anything from 7 iron to lob wedge. The reason why this is very beneficial is all of these clubs will give you different height and roll distance, but also doesnt require you to adjust your chip swing so drastically from one shot to the next- sure you will still slightly adjust how much backswing you have and how open/closed the face is, but not nearly as much as using only one wedge for all chips. Even very good golfers are going to have a difficult time using only one chipping club and then adjusting your chip swing/speed depending on what the shot calls for. Don't get me wrong, you can do it- just requires great feel.
Flabbibulin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #448
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

7 Iron if chipping and a high angle wedge if pitching. I prefer playing a bump and run over pitching and trying to carry distance if I can at all help it so usually if I am fringe/withing a foot or two of the fringe I will bump and run. If I have to carry a hazard or more than about 3 feet of longer grass I will pitch it but I really suck at that.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #449
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I often find that the "hand" wedge is often the right club around the green. it give you the most touch and feel.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #450
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

That one works better for me in the trees.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #451
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
7 Iron if chipping and a high angle wedge if pitching. I prefer playing a bump and run over pitching and trying to carry distance if I can at all help it so usually if I am fringe/withing a foot or two of the fringe I will bump and run. If I have to carry a hazard or more than about 3 feet of longer grass I will pitch it but I really suck at that.
100% agree here. If there is no need to carry the ball a bump and run is my go to as well, also with the 7 iron.

One thing I'm going to try next time I'm at the range or on the course is not choking up on my 60 degree wedge when I'm 20-80 yards from the green. Phil Mickleson says not to as it just adds a layer of complicaiton, and he is good at golf.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #452
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
I really like the back nine of this course. The front nine is just disappointing with the lack of trees. Just back an forth and have to be careful standing on tee boxes with balls coming in.
We are going to have to agree to disagree.

You know Calgary is in the prairies, right? I suppose you must really hate St. Andrews, Bandon Dunes and closer to home, Canal at Delacour if that's your attitude.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #453
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
We are going to have to agree to disagree.

You know Calgary is in the prairies, right? I suppose you must really hate St. Andrews, Bandon Dunes and closer to home, Canal at Delacour if that's your attitude.
St Andrews and Canal (great course IMO) are both links style course with great layouts. I'm not sure what you classify River's Edge as when you compare the front to the back.

When I was making my comments about the front nine of Rivers Edge I guess I could have been more clear. With the layout of the front nine and the lack of trees you basically need to wear a helmet when standing on some of the tee boxes.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #454
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Front 9 is links, back 9 is parkland.

You definitely have to be aware of but really only 2 and 4 tees.

They did a nice job routing the holes with very limited space.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #455
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played 18 tonight! Had the course to ourselves. Was a great night to play!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #456
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Had a great, chilly round tonight. Shot 71 to tie my lowest round ever (Maple Ridge). My irons were lasers. Missed about five birdie putts under 15 feet too. What could've been...
Old 05-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #457
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok weather tomorrow but I suspect it will be very chilly in the AM. Got a round booked early.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-13-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Flabbibulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #458
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nice golf weekend, not too hot. How'd everyone do?

Anyone have any suggestions for slicing with the driver? I've addressed my swing path and as far as I can tell it's good (I'm not swinging around with my driver, spinning the ball). I'm addressing the ball forward in my stance with a good grip and leading arm. I think my problem is my wrists are falling behind and trying to catch up. Anyone have any drills for this? (Or other common faults?)

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #459
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

82 at Murfield. A pretty frustrating day all in all... Burned to many edges and just couldn't hole any putts. Great day for Golf though.

Also managed to secure up some tee times for a little golf trip. Will play Grey Wolf x2 and Copper Point first weekend in June. Pretty stoked for that

Side note.... If there's any lefties on the forum interested in a Scotty Cameron RedX putter shoot me a PM. Time for a new flat stick! Lol
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #460
AltaGuy

Exp:

There are a ton of vids and suggestions out there to cure a slice (I'm sure you know this haha). What worked for me were two things:

1. Torso tilt at address. Moving my spine angle from upright to a few degrees behind the ball really helped me get an inside-out rotation. For illustration, I went from this "I" to this "/".

2. Closing my stance just a tad.

Every idea out there is basically trying to get you to do the same things you already outlined. If you have a slice, though, your swing path is still outside-in.

I was hitting a lot of pulls and occasionally pull-hooks at first, but after swinging easier for a bit with the two things mentioned, began hitting high draws and have been doing it ever since.

Last edited by AltaGuy; 05-15-2016 at 08:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow