Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2022, 08:25 AM   #441
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fun fact: Jim Morrison's dad was a Rear Admiral in the US Navy and was in command of the navy forces that orchestrated the Gulf of Tonkin Incident (a false flag event used to start the Vietnam War).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stephen_Morrison

https://www.britannica.com/event/Gul...onkin-incident
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:04 PM   #442
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s the deal with that decent sized body of water, located south west of Stoney/22x, and Macleod/2A?

Storm/Drainage run off? Long term, will it be drained for development?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:19 PM   #443
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
What’s the deal with that decent sized body of water, located south west of Stoney/22x, and Macleod/2A?

Storm/Drainage run off? Long term, will it be drained for development?
The one like, between Chapparel and Silverado?

That's natural, just a good ol prairie slough. Some parts might look artificial because they've built it up a bit, the CP line has fell in a few times
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #444
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The one like, between Chapparel and Silverado?

That's natural, just a good ol prairie slough. Some parts might look artificial because they've built it up a bit, the CP line has fell in a few times
Interesting, thanks for that. Turns out it's called Priddis Slough.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:43 PM   #445
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe it is used for stormwater infrastructure as well, they were doing some work on it a year or two ago, but it is natural
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:14 PM   #446
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

How is that pronounced here? Wikipedia has the US pronunciation as "slew" and the UK rhyming with "how". The latter makes sense to me obviously as the town of Slough in the UK (where The Office was set) is pronounced that way.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:17 PM   #447
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've only ever heard "slough" pronounced as slew.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:48 PM   #448
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The Doors are the most overrated band. Just awful.
Someone once said “the Doors are a band everyone should listen to at 17, but nobody with any self-respect should still be listening to at 25.”
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:42 PM   #449
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Someone once said “the Doors are a band everyone should listen to at 17, but nobody with any self-respect should still be listening to at 25.”
That's super stupid.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #450
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m drunk with no shirt

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #451
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I’m drunk with no shirt
It happens.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 09:57 PM   #452
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
How is that pronounced here? Wikipedia has the US pronunciation as "slew" and the UK rhyming with "how". The latter makes sense to me obviously as the town of Slough in the UK (where The Office was set) is pronounced that way.
I say slough like tough just to annoy the person I’m talking to. Kind of like how I say Yawnge & Bloor to annoy my wife when we’re in Tarrana.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:20 AM   #453
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my dog likes Pink Floyd
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:28 AM   #454
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I've always somehow pronounced it like "cough", but in a way that sounds something between slaw and sloth.

Slew I guess is like "through".

Rhyming with "how" though seems like a heavy British accent sort of thing? When I say it that way, it feels like I'm being dumb and elongating the word slow.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 12:57 AM   #455
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where’s a decent late night sushi joint in town?
Old 08-27-2022, 03:19 PM   #456
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It happens.
More than it should probably
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:33 AM   #457
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

My brother often complains that his 4 & 8 year old kids wake up at 5:30am. But I've found when they stay with me once or twice a month that if you just keep them up till 12:30 watching something light, yet more exciting than the animated drivel they're used to, such as Back to the Future or Raiders of the Lost Ark, waking up early is not even an issue. Unless I'm missing something, like they become absolute monsters down the line on Tuesday or something, from my vantage point this is quite an easy fix.

I mean I also fixed their picky ass eldest kid who they raised as a vegan by getting her a Happy Meal. And to be clear, I was absolutely open and transparent the entire time that those were Chicken, ie a once-living animal, McNuggets. I'd noticed they're not raising the younger one as vegan, and I've also noticed they're feeding the eldest meat themselves now. I didn't even know McDonald's didn't carry vegan products like Beyond Meat McNuggets or Impossible McNuggets. The only option they presented was pancakes in the Happy Meal (spoiler alert, she doesn't like pancakes). It's not like I went out of my way to corrupt her.

I can't wait to again point out to my brother and sister-in-law tomorrow how easy parenting is.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 12:56 AM   #458
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
My brother often complains that his 4 & 8 year old kids wake up at 5:30am. But I've found when they stay with me once or twice a month that if you just keep them up till 12:30 watching something light, yet more exciting than the animated drivel they're used to, such as Back to the Future or Raiders of the Lost Ark, waking up early is not even an issue. Unless I'm missing something, like they become absolute monsters down the line on Tuesday or something, from my vantage point this is quite an easy fix.

I mean I also fixed their picky ass eldest kid who they raised as a vegan by getting her a Happy Meal. And to be clear, I was absolutely open and transparent the entire time that those were Chicken, ie a once-living animal, McNuggets. I'd noticed they're not raising the younger one as vegan, and I've also noticed they're feeding the eldest meat themselves now. I didn't even know McDonald's didn't carry vegan products like Beyond Meat McNuggets or Impossible McNuggets. The only option they presented was pancakes in the Happy Meal (spoiler alert, she doesn't like pancakes). It's not like I went out of my way to corrupt her.

I can't wait to again point out to my brother and sister-in-law tomorrow how easy parenting is.
Well clearly she is the spawn of Mephistopheles and I think you know what you have to do.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:33 AM   #459
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

I can’t wait to read their gear-grinder about their brother/brother-in-law who has it all figured out!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:40 PM   #460
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Where’s a decent late night sushi joint in town?
Asked a bunch of my pals over the weekend, and received similar info. Nadda.

With Silvers bunker in mind, more people should build larger basements that extend from the above ground frontage, and into & under their front driveway. Yes more expensive, but I like a dungeony basement.