Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2023, 11:18 AM   #4501
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
They haven't been operating YYC-YYZ for a while now, but the news is getting hold of Canada Jetlines pulling out of the route now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gary-1.6800153

With so many carriers and flights on YYC-YYZ this is hardly surprising.
Porter also scaling back their plans for YYC, not sure if it is due to being too optimistic with the expansion timing or of their are issues with loads etc. (ie route not performing).

The Canadian market is not big enough for the number of carriers we currently have, something is going to give.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 11:54 AM   #4502
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Porter also scaling back their plans for YYC, not sure if it is due to being too optimistic with the expansion timing or of their are issues with loads etc. (ie route not performing).
That's pretty disappointing if true. How are people supposed to find out and actually schedule trips on your airline if you're barely even started and already cutting flights?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:20 PM   #4503
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't catch the Porter changes, what's the word?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #4504
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like it is temporary (it always is ), due to scaling up too quickly and not being able to meet the targeted schedules.

https://dailyhive.com/canada/porter-...sive-expansion
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2023, 01:02 PM   #4505
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm flying Porter in mid August, officially nervous now
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:07 PM   #4506
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I'm flying Porter in mid August, officially nervous now
No you're not.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:35 PM   #4507
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Sounds like it is temporary (it always is ), due to scaling up too quickly and not being able to meet the targeted schedules.

https://dailyhive.com/canada/porter-...sive-expansion
I have way more faith in Porter continuing on than Jetlines. Heck it took them like 10 years just to get into the air.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:44 PM   #4508
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One of the issues with all the expansion is the shortage of pilots right now….we are actually seeing cases where companies have airplanes, but not enough people to fly them.

I don’t know if that is specifically the case with Porter, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:53 PM   #4509
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are passport wait times these days? My daughter's passport expires in December and I'm wondering if I should send it by mail now (we have a trip abroad two months from now) or wait until we're in Canada at the end of July and get an urgent passport.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:00 PM   #4510
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
How are passport wait times these days? My daughter's passport expires in December and I'm wondering if I should send it by mail now (we have a trip abroad two months from now) or wait until we're in Canada at the end of July and get an urgent passport.
It took me 2 weeks to get mine after dropping off my application at service Canada recently.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2023, 04:39 PM   #4511
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
No you're not.
Which part?
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:20 AM   #4512
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flew out of YYC and back this week via WJ. Not sure why they’re putting us through that ancient barn-like concrete ghetto Terminal A gates 1-5 again.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:05 AM   #4513
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Flew out of YYC and back this week via WJ. Not sure why they’re putting us through that ancient barn-like concrete ghetto Terminal A gates 1-5 again.
So the rest of the service matches the atmosphere and then there’s less unrest.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 03:27 PM   #4514
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
So the rest of the service matches the atmosphere and then there’s less unrest.
So keep expectations low all around?

Also heard the various WJ subsidiaries are having pilot and crew issues because they have different pay scales.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 03:43 PM   #4515
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So what do you think the chances are the WJ pilots actually go ahead with the strike? I see they overwhelmingly voted ahead with it. I have a planned flight coming up at the end of May and thinking I should maybe jump ship just to make sure my flights don't get cancelled.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:02 PM   #4516
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
So what do you think the chances are the WJ pilots actually go ahead with the strike? I see they overwhelmingly voted ahead with it. I have a planned flight coming up at the end of May and thinking I should maybe jump ship just to make sure my flights don't get cancelled.
If negotiations do not go anywhere I would say that the chances of them announcing a strike is very good. I don't necessarily think that a strike would happen though as I suspect the government would step in with back to work legislation. I would expect some potential delays if that happens as a result of potential slowdowns or other job actions.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 06:45 PM   #4517
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
If negotiations do not go anywhere I would say that the chances of them announcing a strike is very good. I don't necessarily think that a strike would happen though as I suspect the government would step in with back to work legislation. I would expect some potential delays if that happens as a result of potential slowdowns or other job actions.

Ya here is hoping they work something out. I read some interviews that say they will get it sorted out, however now that the vote to strike is passed and there will be a 3 week break from negotiations I am getting nervous
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:57 PM   #4518
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone booked a flight through Trip.com? I'm looking at booking a flight from Montreal to Calgary and it's hundreds of dollars cheaper on Trip.com vs WestJet website for the same flight.

How is that possible? Seems dodgy to me.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:01 PM   #4519
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Has anyone booked a flight through Trip.com? I'm looking at booking a flight from Montreal to Calgary and it's hundreds of dollars cheaper on Trip.com vs WestJet website for the same flight.

I work in travel, and would never book a flight unless direct with the airline.

I do regularly book tours through 3rd parties, and have actually found having a 3rd party has helped me get restitution with some covid cancellations.

I think it comes down to size/scale of the company that provides the service and the commissions made.

Airlines are massive and pay tiny commissions. Nobody at trip.com will be able to get stuff done for you and they can't pull their relationship with a big airline.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2023, 02:05 PM   #4520
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

DoubleK - I did in January from Calgary to Toronto and back, and it was fine. But be aware - there are no refunds, and there may be charges for changing your booking (if you're allowed to at all). You also can't edit your flight directly with the airline if you choose to go around the third party (in this case, the third party is trip.com). I went through hell in January going through BudgetAir (another third party) because I fell for a cheap flight; tried to get a refund but they wouldn't help me at all, PayPal didn't help me, and I finally escalated it to CIBC and they resolved it after months of discussion and proof of evidence (that I thankfully saved).

Long story short - third parties can be cheap, but you better hope absolutely no hiccup occurs at all with your trip. Best way, for piece of mind, is to get your ticket directly though the airlines.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post: