Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2023, 03:11 PM   #4481
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I fell on my bike a few weeks ago and have a nice scrape on the back of my MIPS helmet. Had some minor neck discomfort for a week and that's gone now. No idea if the helmet helped prevent a concussion versus a standard helmet but my head definitely would have hit asphalt without the helmet on.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 03:15 PM   #4482
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

All it takes is going down once on concrete with a helmet on to think "damn, ok, ya, now I get it".
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 03:17 PM   #4483
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
All it takes is going down once on concrete with a helmet on to think "damn, ok, ya, now I get it".
Definitely. The rest of my body is still pretty sore so that tells me how rough the fall was. Maybe I should whip out the elbow and knee pads from my rollerblading days.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 05:11 PM   #4484
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting to get annoyed with my new TREK mountain bike.

Only owned it a short time and this is the second time the hydraulic seat post adjustment cable has failed.

Plus the annoying creeking somewhere in the stem.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 06:33 PM   #4485
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Somewhat cycling related but I am wondering if a Tacx Smart Flow trainer can connect to Peloton, kinda like how to does with Zwift?

Recently it appears Peloton has changed to allow the download of the app and use of their workout's without needing to purchase their equipment, unless I am mistaken?

I was curious about this and emailed support but they seem to be kind of clueless.

Does anybody know if I can actually do Peloton rides/workouts with my road bike and the app??

Thx
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:18 PM   #4486
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ you can but you won’t get power numbers on the peloton app and you will have to convert your own numbers for resistance.

If you google you can find guides for how to do all the calculations (but it’s definitely not as simple as the all in one setup)
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 09:21 AM   #4487
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Right on time, new GCN show talking about a study showing 30% of people responded as cyclists are less human

Old 06-27-2023, 09:28 AM   #4488
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Somewhat cycling related but I am wondering if a Tacx Smart Flow trainer can connect to Peloton, kinda like how to does with Zwift?

Recently it appears Peloton has changed to allow the download of the app and use of their workout's without needing to purchase their equipment, unless I am mistaken?

I was curious about this and emailed support but they seem to be kind of clueless.

Does anybody know if I can actually do Peloton rides/workouts with my road bike and the app??

Thx
I use an old tacx trainer and the peloton app, but could never get the tacx trainer connected to the app.

So I just calculated my own zones based on a new 20-minute FTP Test, and printed out a little card I put on the wall with my zones.

Works really well and great value vs. buying the peloton bike and subscription.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 09:54 AM   #4489
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
Right on time, new GCN show talking about a study showing 30% of people responded as cyclists are less human

This is because of a$$h.... like these bike couriers who think they are above the law and ruin it for the rest of us

Check out 12:50 which he decides to T-Bone a cab with his bike

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 09:57 AM   #4490
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This is because of a$$h.... like these bike couriers who think they are above the law and ruin it for the rest of us

Check out 12:50 which he decides to T-Bone a cab with his bike

That guy' sounds like an ####### but I don't think that's the reason that drivers see cyclists as less than human.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 11:42 AM   #4491
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't exactly see any bike couriers up here on 12th street NE, yet I get close passed on a freaking 4 lane road ALL THE TIME.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 05:02 PM   #4492
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Other provinces have a 2 meter clearance to pass cyclists rule, if you can’t give 2 meters, then you can’t pass. I also saw a number of bumper stickers with the 2 meter rule on them, which I think helps to increase awareness.

It makes sense to me now that I do so much riding. I think a lot of people really don’t realize the value in giving more space than ‘just enough’. I’ve seen people not want to cross the yellow line on a road with no other vehicles on it, and come with a couple of feet from me.

It’s not angry dudes in pickups, it’s some lady in a Volkswagen that I think is more scared of crossing a yellow line than accidentally running over a cyclist.

A solid and specific law, and a public awareness campaign would help. Unfortunately it probably won’t happen until there is a particularly tragic accident that brings it to the public consciousness.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 05:24 PM   #4493
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta it's 1 meter, but when you have cocked up road decisions like this, it's impossible to do. This is one of my scariest squeezes, particularly in winter when the lane is so full of snow it doesn't exist. I'd like to have the guy who engineered this stand in the bike lane for a day and se how many times he ####s himself.

https://goo.gl/maps/hd1ZbuYRAY4625Wa9

Two traffic lanes and a sliver of a bike lane. Where is the 1 metre of space supposed to come from?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 08:46 PM   #4494
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pathlete this morning fully decked out in their Ironman kit ripping into downtown, goes to do a stupid unsafe pass in blind area when an oncomer appears. Said oncomer is on one of those standing single-wide-tire motorized boards with full face helmet and wasn’t doing any wrong. Pathlete swerved towards oncomer and passes on the far left of the path (oncomers right) and by this time we are all expecting a major head on. Pathlete narrowly avoids and keeps going. Dude almost took out 2 riders and themselves. Too bad no fuzz around.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 09:18 PM   #4495
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Alberta it's 1 meter, but when you have cocked up road decisions like this, it's impossible to do. This is one of my scariest squeezes, particularly in winter when the lane is so full of snow it doesn't exist. I'd like to have the guy who engineered this stand in the bike lane for a day and se how many times he ####s himself.
Unless something has changed recently, there isn’t a provincial rule. Calgary and Edmonton have bylaws that are 1 meter if 60km/h or less, 1.5 meters if over 60.

I rarely ride in the city, and that doesn’t apply to the rest of the province.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 10:05 AM   #4496
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Unless something has changed recently, there isn’t a provincial rule. Calgary and Edmonton have bylaws that are 1 meter if 60km/h or less, 1.5 meters if over 60.

I rarely ride in the city, and that doesn’t apply to the rest of the province.
And I'd guess that a ticket for passing to close has never been handed out.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2023, 10:23 PM   #4497
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody know where I may be able to donate a used, good condition bike? I have an older mountain bike from Costco, good working condition, just needs some oil and a light tune.

I am looking at Kids Sport and it doesn't look like they are accepting bikes at the moment.

Thanks!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 10:29 PM   #4498
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two Wheel View
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2023, 09:06 AM   #4499
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Looks like they are closing the pathway by the Enmax substation in Douglasdale, just south of Deerfoot. Starting tomorrow until September.
https://goo.gl/maps/f7SXhxMwqYNyx4dP7

The map they have there shows a detour of around 8-10 km; for a 100 metre stretch to be closed.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 09:41 AM   #4500
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Well I've been having some fun this year. My kid has been racing the Canadian Enduro Series the last few years, and seeing as I've been his personal shuttle to the events I figured what the hell, might as well try racing.

So far this year I've ridden Harper (Kamloops), Revelstoke and Elkwater (Medicine Hat) events.

Harper I only rode the trails but didn't compete. What a venue though; it's perfectly set up to shuttle and the trails are absolute top notch. I had no idea that Ski hill existed and the biking is exactly as you would expect. Steep, flowy, techy, you name it.

Revelstoke was literally trial by fire; of the old man category (40+) in the short course (typically only 5 of 8 stages) I was the only one who made it down so I won the category by default. Revy is NOT for the faint of heart, running double blacks at race pace is terrifying, and absolutely exhausting. One of the stages ran top to bottom on Boulder and I can't say I've ever been that shattered in my life. It took me 4 days to recover from that race and made me question my sanity more than once.

Elkwater had a LOT more competitors from as far away as Manitoba, and I found out the hard way that a 180mm travel Devinci with a rear coil is NOT the bike of choice for flatter stages that require pedaling (time for another bike!). Still managed a 4th place finish though, despite coming in almost last in the "XC" stage where my lack of fitness and horrible bike choice was pretty obvious. I must say though, anyone interested in a really neat venue with a very, very mild pedal up (15-20 minutes) should check that place out. The Black runs are more of a hard blue, but there are some really fun machine built jump lines off it and a lot of flowy single track.

Next events are Valemount, Whistler and Sun Peaks.

I'm really enjoying the series, it's put on by We Are One with a pile of prizes and cash awards, super fun vibe and very well supported with mechanics and first aid. The pro riders are typically all racing at the big events and I've found them all to be really, really positive role models for the kids. My son loves it and I would encourage anyone with a little shredder to try one out, everyone is crazy supportive and save for a few lunatics are just there for a fun time.

I'll update the next event if anyone is interested in it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post: