Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #4461
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'll say.

I've seen Sean Connery in Zardoz
If so you have seen way more of Mr Connery than any man should have to see
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2022, 06:30 PM   #4462
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
There also seems to be an overwhelming "quietness" to 70s sci-fi. They tended not to bombard you with a musical score. They opted for subtle or no music.

I watched Silent Running on Puppet Guy's recommendation. His review was accurate. It's an interesting concept but doesn't really go anywhere. It wouldn't surprise me if a variation of it was remade.
It's almost like film producers thought "the future will be QUIET!" or something. It really worked to the advantage of 70's sci-fi because it added subtle menace. What I remember most from THX-1138 was the silence, and that combined with the blankness of the sets made it unsettling.

Not sure Silent Running would ultimately benefit from being remade. It'd be louder, all CGI and they'd find a way to involve stowaway aliens or something.

- Surferguy

Last edited by Puppet Guy; 03-22-2022 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Too many stowaways
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #4463
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Not sure Silent Running would ultimately benefit from being remade. It'd be louder, all CGI and they'd find a way to involve stowaway aliens or something.
I could see a movie about a "Space Ark" working. A ship tasked with moving/conserving as many plants and animals from a dying Earth. Hell, it's probably already been done.

You're right that they wouldn't do it subtly. Few sci-fi movies these days have been able to pull that off successfully. "Moon" is one that did a great job capturing the same vibe of 70s sci-fi that didn't rely on over-the-top CGI.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 11:31 AM   #4464
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could see a movie about a "Space Ark" working. A ship tasked with moving/conserving as many plants and animals from a dying Earth. Hell, it's probably already been done.

You're right that they wouldn't do it subtly. Few sci-fi movies these days have been able to pull that off successfully. "Moon" is one that did a great job capturing the same vibe of 70s sci-fi that didn't rely on over-the-top CGI.

Moon was a great movie.

Speaking of "remakes" and "Space Ark", I always though that a remake of this old show would work (oddly enough Douglas Trumbull was an executive producer):

- Surferguy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 11:32 AM   #4465
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I swear I remember an old tv show in the 70s or early 80s featuring a giant spaceship that was called The Ark that housed all that was left of humanity, along with trees/plants. Funny, I don't remember animals.

The ship was huge with lots of pods that were like biospheres, housing different climates. I was very young, and I watched because it was in space, but then stopped watching because of a lack of lasers.

EDIT: Wow, I think Starlost was the show! Thanks Puppet Guy!
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #4466
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I swear I remember an old tv show in the 70s or early 80s featuring a giant spaceship that was called The Ark that housed all that was left of humanity, along with trees/plants. Funny, I don't remember animals.

The ship was huge with lots of pods that were like biospheres, housing different climates. I was very young, and I watched because it was in space, but then stopped watching because of a lack of lasers.

EDIT: Wow, I think Starlost was the show! Thanks Puppet Guy!

Yeah, as a kid who'd seen Star Wars too many times, Starlost's special effects (or lack thereof) were less than inspiring. The concept of the show could've worked if the producers had taken it seriously.

- Surferguy
Old 03-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #4467
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some great space stuff from way back when. Remember when Space 1999 was cutting edge?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #4468
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Some great space stuff from way back when. Remember when Space 1999 was cutting edge?
I spent hours trying to draw the Eagle which is up there for one of the coolest spaceships. I even thought the lasers they used were cool - kind of an upside-down U shaped gun. But like Puppet Guy, compared to Star Wars, it was a tad too slow for my needs at the time and I watched it only for glimpses of ships and lasers, and not the actual story.

After Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica was probably the next space-based tv show that really held my interest. Enough space fights and the Cylons were a cool enemy.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2022, 06:31 AM   #4469
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alien really holds up for a 1979 sci-fi movie IMO.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2022, 02:01 PM   #4470
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Deep Water last night. Hadn’t meant to because honestly the relationship between Affleck and De Armas just creeped me out from the trailers. Like Affleck was just given a choice of which hot young actress he wants to bang. Someone more age appropriate would have felt better.

That said, I got sucked into it pretty hard once my roommate put it on. Their relationship is so messed up it’s hard to look away and you’re wondering the whole time what the deal is between them. And Affleck had me laughing a few times with some really dry delivery. Unfortunately they don’t really wrap it up in a satisfying way IMO. A really interesting movie that’s failed by the final 5-10 minutes. Would have been better with a different male lead tho IMO. Affleck s acting chops are just not, and never really have been, great.

De Armas is great in it though.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:10 PM   #4471
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to think Jackass was pretty funny but this last one was clearly the weakest. Perhaps it's just getting older but it wasn't for me. Nice to see Steve-o and Johnny Knoxville on camera but the rest of the characters and the stunts lacked the innocence of the previous ones.

Every one of the celebrity cameos blew. Yeah, I said it.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 04:14 PM   #4472
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I used to think Jackass was pretty funny but this last one was clearly the weakest. Perhaps it's just getting older but it wasn't for me. Nice to see Steve-o and Johnny Knoxville on camera but the rest of the characters and the stunts lacked the innocence of the previous ones.

Jackass was pretty funny back in the day. Middle aged naked dudes getting their junk smashed is kind of nasty. But whatever floats your boat.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2022, 10:41 PM   #4473
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
I saw part of the original Solaris years ago and have been meaning to rewatch it. 70's sci-fi movies had a very unique look.
Watch this favourite of mne..

Logan's Run

Old 03-28-2022, 02:46 AM   #4474
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Jackass was pretty funny back in the day. Middle aged naked dudes getting their junk smashed is kind of nasty. But whatever floats your boat.
In preperation to watch Jackass Forever, I recently watched the previous 3 movies as a way to get back in the mood. I didn't find it as funny as I used to way back when. Some skits were funny though. But all the poop stuff, puking and penis stuff didn't quite age as well with me. I actually ended up skipping most of that kind of stuff, as I guess I can't stomach it as much as I used to.

I'll still watch J F when it's available though. Knoxville is still king.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:06 PM   #4475
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Moonfall might be the single greatest disaster movie ever made.

The trailer makes it look ridiculous. It is even more ridiculous than the trailer. Every step of the way it gets more and more preposterous.

It's like it told Armageddon to "hold my beer".

Have a few drinks and just enjoy the ride. Don't even try to think about the science.

It's not on streaming services yet so you'll have to look "elsewhere" for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 01:11 PM   #4476
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have some issues with that trailer...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #4477
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Recommend me some bud to make that the single greatest disaster movie ever made.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:43 PM   #4478
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Recommend me some bud to make that the single greatest disaster movie ever made.
Death Bubba.

You'll be sleeping before you realize you made a bad choice.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #4479
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Moonfall might be the single greatest disaster movie ever made.

The trailer makes it look ridiculous. It is even more ridiculous than the trailer. Every step of the way it gets more and more preposterous.

It's like it told Armageddon to "hold my beer".

Have a few drinks and just enjoy the ride. Don't even try to think about the science.

It's not on streaming services yet so you'll have to look "elsewhere" for it.

I'm in! I love cheesy disaster movies. lot of money spent on this one, though!
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:58 PM   #4480
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'm in! I love cheesy disaster movies. lot of money spent on this one, though!
$150 million to produce it. It made $40 million worldwide.

Directed by Roland Emmerich who has made many dumb/great movies. Universal Soldier, Stargate, Independence Day (1 & 2), Godzilla (1996), The Patriot, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, White House Down...

Don't get me wrong, Moonfall is not good but it's so dumb and over-the-top I couldn't stop watching to see what they did next.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: