Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #4421
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

Last edited by dash_pinched; 12-15-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #4422
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
(The following is purely speculation, but it is a well known story that Puljujärvi has lived alone since he was 13. He moved to a bigger town to play hockey, and was apparently pretty much brought up by his hockey club....
Is this true? Who lets their 13-year-old kid go off to live on his own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 12-15-2018, 11:40 PM   #4423
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
(a) Parents who are so incapable that they can't stop the kid from leaving, in which case he's probably better off without them;

(b) Parents whose kid is so impossible that nobody can stop him from doing what he wants, in which case nobody could have helped much anyway.

I've known instances of both, and probably one or two cases of ‘All of the above’.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #4424
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a very public and well known part of his background.

He's from a small northern border town of Tornio, and moved to Oulu at 13 to play hockey. Oulu is easily the biggest city in North of Finland, and has one of the best hockey organizations in the country.

All the news written about it in Finland have been very affirming, claiming he had a good support system in Oulu. And I'm sure it hasn't been a total disaster, he seems like a decent kid. But he's also very much a kid.

As a personal suspicion: Kärpät probably didn't really have 100% interest in his full development. This kid was obviously going to go overseas, so they took what they could get out of him and thought the NHL team would handle the rest. To be fair to Kärpät, any normal NHL team would probably have done the rest.

But the Oilers are not a normal organization. They don't develop players. They just play them.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #4425
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
What amazes me is how media get caught up in results to the point that they seem to ignore how they're being generated.

Articles on the Hitch effect, being contenders now when the team has really been out played of late and is heading for a correction.

Under McLellan
Shot attempts 50.2%
Shots 50.9%
Scoring Chances 50.2%
High Danger Chances 51.1%
Shooting % 6.6%
Save % .919
PDO .985

Under Hitchcock
Shot attempts 48.7%
Shots 49.4%
Scoring Chances 45.3%
High Danger Chances 41.0%
Shooting % 8.9%
Save % .939
PDO 1.028

They cant' continue to play this way and win. Skid is coming ... maybe for Xmas!

Great analysis - one thing that stands out is PDO (luck)... and under McLellan (which has a bigger sample size) - it is well under 1 (bad luck) and well above 1 with Hitchcock (good luck).... if you average these numbers together, you basically get 1 (not weighted by games). Remembering that these luck numbers are all sunk costs (stealing an accounting term) - which means, that they have no bearing on what future PDO number the Oilers will obtain, they have a statistically probability of getting 1 just based on how the number is calculated. So, everyone is right, when the luck runs out at the blackjack table for the Oilers here, so will this winning streak, and since there is a greater spread away from 1 on this latest winning streak, they should fall back down to just below 500 (right where we want them to be - 9th or 10th in the division).

Great Stuff!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #4426
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's a very public and well known part of his background.

He's from a small northern border town of Tornio, and moved to Oulu at 13 to play hockey. Oulu is easily the biggest city in North of Finland, and has one of the best hockey organizations in the country.

All the news written about it in Finland have been very affirming, claiming he had a good support system in Oulu. And I'm sure it hasn't been a total disaster, he seems like a decent kid. But he's also very much a kid.

As a personal suspicion: Kärpät probably didn't really have 100% interest in his full development. This kid was obviously going to go overseas, so they took what they could get out of him and thought the NHL team would handle the rest. To be fair to Kärpät, any normal NHL team would probably have done the rest.

But the Oilers are not a normal organization. They don't develop players. They just play exploit them.
I fixed it.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #4427
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Nite View Post
I think he was utterly devastated by being drafted by the oilers, from growing up a Flames fan, and dreaming of finally making it to his draft, then the worst thing that he could imagine,he is slowly imploding on the inside with the horrors of what happened to him, he might be saved if he was to be traded away from that mess.
Something you could say about nearly every Oiler player or prospect.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #4428
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it happens to kids with exceptional hockey talent who don’t grow up in a place that has a team good enough for them. Hull, Orr, and probably a lot of underage stars who played Junior A got sent away to play for teams far enough away from home that they had to be billeted.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #4429
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Great post, and I agree with the point.

But these HD numbers always bother me. How could McDavid's line have none? Chiasson's goal was clearly an open shot from the slot. And McDavid got in behind the D for a pseudo-breakaway once, if not twice. Those are just off the top of my head. To suggest they had zero HD chances makes no sense.

Oh, and McDavid's goal from behind the net - wasn't that off a rebound from a Draisaitl shot right in front?

Every single time I see HD scoring chance numbers, my first thought is always: that's not what I just watched.
Good post. If the data behind the metrics is inaccurate, the metrics themselves are as well.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #4430
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Great analysis - one thing that stands out is PDO (luck)... and under McLellan (which has a bigger sample size) - it is well under 1 (bad luck) and well above 1 with Hitchcock (good luck).... if you average these numbers together, you basically get 1 (not weighted by games). Remembering that these luck numbers are all sunk costs (stealing an accounting term) - which means, that they have no bearing on what future PDO number the Oilers will obtain, they have a statistically probability of getting 1 just based on how the number is calculated. So, everyone is right, when the luck runs out at the blackjack table for the Oilers here, so will this winning streak, and since there is a greater spread away from 1 on this latest winning streak, they should fall back down to just below 500 (right where we want them to be - 9th or 10th in the division).

Great Stuff!

This is the E=NG thread so I’ll agree with your outcome, but I hate the notion that PDO is a measure of luck. Is Riddick luckier than Smith because he has a higher save % or just better? Are players with consistently high shooting % lucky or just really good?

Actually I generally just dislike PDO as a stat. But anyway, E=NG!
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #4431
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

All of this talk of Stats and measurements when its clear that Edmonton is just a team riding a hot goaltender and luck in this thread can only have one response

NSFW!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 12-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #4432
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This isnt actually true, or at least stats don't actually support that. Both good and bad PDO's have proved to be rather sustainable, even season to season.

It's also not that bad at predicting success.
Interesting when I had looked at it before I came to the conclusion that there was a range of PDO that was sustainable year to year and anything outside those bounds was not.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #4433
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just watched Gene Principe on the opening of the sportsnet broadcast. I can’t unsee that. He did some terrible Fortnite thing. I almost feel bad Edmonton has to watch that guy.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #4434
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
I think it happens to kids with exceptional hockey talent who don’t grow up in a place that has a team good enough for them. Hull, Orr, and probably a lot of underage stars who played Junior A got sent away to play for teams far enough away from home that they had to be billeted.
Being billeted is a hell of a lot different than living alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 12-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #4435
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol @ HFoil has this poll up during the game vs the Canucks. Hockey gods had Oilers ended up losing 4-2

Spoiler!

Last edited by Scorch; 12-16-2018 at 11:05 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #4436
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Double post

Last edited by Scorch; 12-16-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #4437
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1074541872578625536
Old 12-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #4438
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Lol @ HFoil has this poll up during the game vs the Canucks. Hockey gods had Oilers ended up losing 4-2

Spoiler!
Such a cocky fanbase.
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #4439
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #4440
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of people. Interestingly, both my wife and I left home at 13 to pursue both sports and a better education.
Closed Thread