Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #4421
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't blame the production for bad lighting without first seeing a proper high bitrate version of the video. Also let's be honest most people have a lower end LCD panel that can't do contrast ratio worth a damn.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #4422
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Came across a really interesting theory about Bran, on Reddit this morning:

stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #4423
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm satisfied with much of what went down. The only notable thing i'd do differently is have white walkers engage with a main character. Probably jon. Maybe he gets close to the pack heading for the godswood and two if them split off to deal with him. That would be a good payoff to the people that have been building up jon vs nk/ww. Gives them more of a use in this battle.

But yeah, as for the people placing unrealistic expectations on a show that inevitably cant go into as near as much detail as the book: it was a battle. Battles on GOT are traditionally solved by people fighting and stabbing each other. "Omg it's that simple?" Yes, yes it is. Bran isn't going to wheel himself around, stop and explain a wild fan theory to the NK for the pleasure of people building up unrealistically complex ideas tying into random hints from 5 seasons ago and then watch him spontaneously explode into shards of ice. Everyone on GOT has been vulnerable to death/destruction. Why should the night king be different? It's not like beating him was exactly a walk in the park lol. There was already a lot of fan service in that episode as it was.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #4424
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
The raven excursion seemed pointless to me - not sure if I missed something
I think he sent them to King's Landing to get intel on Cersei - size of her army, army movements, hang about listening to Cersei discuss strategy so that when they get to KL, they can beat her. The real battle, I think, has always been Cersei - the NK battle was the palate cleanser leading up to the main course. Bonus for Bran when he sent them out was that he got a handle on where the NK was & what he was doing, so that he had an approximate idea when the NK was going to be in the glade.

As for troops to fight Cersei, I think Yara returns with the rest of the Ironborn, now that Theon is dead, to avenge him, & kill Euron, during the battle with Cersei. Saw an Instagram post from the actress that plays her that seems to indicate she's not out of the running.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #4425
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I think he sent them to King's Landing to get intel on Cersei - size of her army, army movements, hang about listening to Cersei discuss strategy so that when they get to KL, they can beat her. The real battle, I think, has always been Cersei - the NK battle was the palate cleanser leading up to the main course. Bonus for Bran when he sent them out was that he got a handle on where the NK was & what he was doing, so that he had an approximate idea when the NK was going to be in the glade.

As for troops to fight Cersei, I think Yara returns with the rest of the Ironborn, now that Theon is dead, to avenge him, & kill Euron, during the battle with Cersei. Saw an Instagram post from the actress that plays her that seems to indicate she's not out of the running.
But didn’t he fly up and find the Night King? I don’t recall the ravens going all the way to KL.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #4426
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
But didn’t he fly up and find the Night King? I don’t recall the ravens going all the way to KL.
I'm watching again to check on them. They just seem to disappear after flying by the NK & you don't see them again. Our theory, which is likely wrong but what we theorized, is that he sent them ahead to KL. Guess we'll find out. The theorizing is half the fun of this series, at least for us, LOL. We set out our theories after the episodes then have fun watching the next one to see if we were on the mark or so far out in left field there isn't any field left.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #4427
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the frustration over the murkiness of this episode will spur changes in the TV industry.

Quote:
So can anything be done? Well, there’s a tradition in the music industry of taking the final mix of a recording and testing it out on a car stereo, to see what the beautiful music playing out of the expensive monitor speakers in the studio sounds like when it’s filtered through crappy car speakers, competing with engine noise. The reason audio engineers do this is not because they love the way music sounds in a 1989 Honda Civic. It’s because they have no control over the listening environment where their work will eventually be heard, and they want to make sure it’s tolerable even under the worst of circumstances...

...So if TV directors aren’t already making a point of running their work through the worst compression algorithm any cable company uses, then watching it on a cheap LED screen in a room with plenty of natural light, it’s probably time to start.
https://slate.com/culture/2019/04/ga...omplaints.html
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #4428
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The flew right by the Night King and Bran didn't come back until later in the battle. That's why I assumed the ravens were going on a different mission that didn't involve the white walkers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #4429
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #4430
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The flew right by the Night King and Bran didn't come back until later in the battle. That's why I assumed the ravens were going on a different mission that didn't involve the white walkers.
I was thinking maybe the ravens were to let the Night King know Bran was there, and he should come find him.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #4431
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Are you certain? They landed on the tail of the dragon he was flying and it was our first glimpse of the Night King, who had been absent to that point. Unless we’re thinking of different scenes.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #4432
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Maybe the frustration over the murkiness of this episode will spur changes in the TV industry.

I blame everyone wanting the highest resolution, highest hz, etc, and picking the overly amped up display that wows them in the showroom. All the reasons that led to plasma's demise.

If you are going to use your TV for low lit TV and movies, contrast ratio matters way more than all those things, and LCD technology that basically dominated TV for the last 10-15 years pretty much sucks and displaying that kind of material. It's nice that OLED is finally approaching affordability.

I don't know what the bitrate on HBOGO is, but the dark scenes looked beautiful on my old plasma.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #4433
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm satisfied with much of what went down. The only notable thing i'd do differently is have white walkers engage with a main character. Probably jon. Maybe he gets close to the pack heading for the godswood and two if them split off to deal with him. That would be a good payoff to the people that have been building up jon vs nk/ww. Gives them more of a use in this battle.

But yeah, as for the people placing unrealistic expectations on a show that inevitably cant go into as near as much detail as the book: it was a battle. Battles on GOT are traditionally solved by people fighting and stabbing each other. "Omg it's that simple?" Yes, yes it is. Bran isn't going to wheel himself around, stop and explain a wild fan theory to the NK for the pleasure of people building up unrealistically complex ideas tying into random hints from 5 seasons ago and then watch him spontaneously explode into shards of ice. Everyone on GOT has been vulnerable to death/destruction. Why should the night king be different? It's not like beating him was exactly a walk in the park lol. There was already a lot of fan service in that episode as it was.
I do like how they didn't drop into some ridiculous cliched final speech between Bran and NK like a Bond movie. They didn't need to do anything more there. The previous 7 seasons are for that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #4434
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

Still as I noted above viewers should optimize their TV's, stream over cable if you have that alternative, and darken your room regardless as this isn't something going away anytime soon and as per the bold text everything will look better.

Quote:
There are ways for a home viewer to mitigate the damage, first and foremost by darkening the room. Watching over internet streaming is better in many cases too, because it means cutting your cable company out of the loop, and the compressed versions of HBO Now episodes, which can be encoded in advance, might undergo a little more quality control than the versions cable companies create on the fly from HBO’s live feed. And calibrating your television, even if that just means using the signal patterns on a THX DVD or Blu-Ray to set the brightness and contrast, will do a lot to help. (As a bonus, paying attention to any or all of those things will make everything you watch look better, not just Game of Thrones.) But there’s just no way to feed images like the ones in “The Long Night” into the current television distribution system and have them look good in everyone’s living room.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-29-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #4435
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
A fair number of the unsullied also seemed to survive too. We saw them file back into the castle pretty productively.

The idea is that it will take an alliance of armies to take down Cersei, as opposed to just Dany being a clear power.

Anyone wonder if Arya and Gendry will lay claim to the throne? A Baratheon/Stark union is pretty powerful. We've also yet to see the faceless men.

My guess is that the whole series ends with a tenuous hold on the throne with the various surviving houses plotting against eachother, illustrating the cyclical nature of things.
I suspect that after vanquishing the greatest threat to the realm that they'll be able to rally some previously idle houses in the final assault on cersei.

Maybe those cowardly Glovers will come out of their hole again (their lands weren't in the path of the NK pre-WF). Maybe Yara or even Daario will be an answer.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #4436
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Came across a really interesting theory about Bran, on Reddit this morning:

If that is true (I kind of hope it is) it adds a massive layer of complexity and mind f-ing which does explain a ton of things. It's so crazy complicated though....could the writers have actually been following that arc the entire time, and managed to keep it quiet? It ties into season one, and that was quite some time ago.

FYI, I would only read that if you like plausible explanations to the entire series.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #4437
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
If that is true (I kind of hope it is) it adds a massive layer of complexity and mind f-ing which does explain a ton of things. It's so crazy complicated though....could the writers have actually been following that arc the entire time, and managed to keep it quiet? It ties into season one, and that was quite some time ago.

FYI, I would only read that if you like plausible explanations to the entire series.
What could also be true:
Spoiler!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #4438
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

A day later and most people I talk to bring up the darkness and murkiness of the picture. It's a shame that it will be remembered so much for that.

Upon reflection, it was an enjoyable episode without some of the thoughtfulness I'd come to expect from the show. Personally was hoping for a strategic element to their victory vs. the RKO out of nowhere.

I am really looking forward to the final 3 episodes where I expect we see further character development, plot twists and strategy/politics which for see has been what makes this show great. Don't really need any more dragons flying blindly in the snow.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #4439
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That reddit theory is terribad.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #4440
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^ Right up there with Jar Jar is the Sith Lord.