Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #4421
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Do we have to list picks again?

This simply isn't the case in the last three years.
United provided it in another thread. This is simply the case.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #4422
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
And he blew a pick in trading for Pitlick. Again, your +pick model is flawed because he gets mid-round picks and burns equal to better ones. Worse, he allows players that could recoup those high value picks (1sts and 2nds) to walk for nothing.
I took you through it ... added 2nd, added 3rd, subtracted 4ths primarily and is up in assets.

And I included the Pitlick move.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #4423
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
United provided it in another thread. This is simply the case.
Yes it is.

There are two ways to look at it ... and both are correct.

He went by draft and went back further, a fair way to do it.

My point is that he's stopped bleeding picks and I went by calendar and looked at the last three years.

So no ... perfectly correct.

Lots to bitch about, no point in using fantasy.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #4424
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Stop bitching about picks

Treliving knows his days are numbered.
He needs to fix the team now or he won’t be around to see those picks

We’d be lucky if he doesn’t trade the first soon
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #4425
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Not me, I will always be optimistic. So what if Tre doesn't overpay for some UFA's. So what if Tre doesn't make a bad trade to change the core. I think this is a good roster as is, there are a few holes that have to be addressed like a top 4 D and a backup goalie but I think this roster can compete with a full season under Darryl. I will always cheer for the positive outcome, I would rather do that then be bitter and down all the time about something that is supposed to be entertainment.
I declare this statement to be true and good, and the standard to which the poorest-minded among us must live up to. Cast aside your negativity, enjoy hockey, enjoy the Flames, and enjoy your life. Or continue living your sad existence and being a burden on society until society leaves you behind.

Signed:
President of the OBC
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 11:35 AM   #4426
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... further to my essay a couple days ago re Treliving and Sutter-vision... what do you think of this hypothesis?

I postulate that Treliving is only the GM of the Flames now in terms of title and some functionality. What we have here now is an NFL situation where the HC is calling the shots and the GM just executes the administrative functions to make the "thing" happen. It is all Sutter-type players coming in - he is clearly building a big, mean, hard-checking team. Personally, I said in the previous post that the Flames should follow the Sutter vision, so I am happy to that extent. I do still question the bleeding of picks and I just wonder if the contracts will work. I hope we don't see Zadorov get a 4x5.

We still desperately need a PP QB. If you are going to win 2-1 and 3-2, you need that PP to produce. I also wonder what happens with all the midgets - is a Sutter team going to accomodate all of Mangiapane, Gaudreau, Dube? I expect one, at least, to be traded.

Anyhow, interesting - for the first time since Hartley, we are getting an identity, and am a neanderthal, so I am all for the "beat the crap out of them" theme... Just stop trading picks.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 11:38 AM   #4427
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do like that we should have some forwards coming up that can contribute on ELC’s over the next 2-3 years.

Zary, Pelletier, Coronato, Rusicka, Petterson, Phillips, Stromgren, and Heineman.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #4428
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
So... further to my essay a couple days ago re Treliving and Sutter-vision... what do you think of this hypothesis?

I postulate that Treliving is only the GM of the Flames now in terms of title and some functionality. What we have here now is an NFL situation where the HC is calling the shots and the GM just executes the administrative functions to make the "thing" happen. It is all Sutter-type players coming in - he is clearly building a big, mean, hard-checking team. Personally, I said in the previous post that the Flames should follow the Sutter vision, so I am happy to that extent. I do still question the bleeding of picks and I just wonder if the contracts will work. I hope we don't see Zadorov get a 4x5.

We still desperately need a PP QB. If you are going to win 2-1 and 3-2, you need that PP to produce. I also wonder what happens with all the midgets - is a Sutter team going to accomodate all of Mangiapane, Gaudreau, Dube? I expect one, at least, to be traded.

Anyhow, interesting - for the first time since Hartley, we are getting an identity, and am a neanderthal, so I am all for the "beat the crap out of them" theme... Just stop trading picks.
It’s Sutter’s team for sure

Wonder where Sutter is going to get his Kopitar and Doughty

Without them, he can grind all he wants and still get nothing
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:48 AM   #4429
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
It’s Sutter’s team for sure

Wonder where Sutter is going to get his Kopitar and Doughty

Without them, he can grind all he wants and still get nothing
I do think they are trying hard for Eichel (which is dubious to me) or they will try to build a Kopitar out of a Monahan/Lindholm golem . Doughty they need, or at least a high-offense guy to run the PP. Sorry to say this - but I would have gone De Angelo - cheap, free - and hoped Sutter could tune him up...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 05:16 PM   #4430
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a strong opinion about the off-season moves individually, but taking a step back....it's the a veritable greatest hits of questionable Flames moves from the past:
  • trading mid-round picks for meh players/goalies and UFA rights
  • bringing in an unproven backup
  • pivoting to BIG in the draft, signings, and trades
  • bringing in multiple zero offence players
  • signing a late 20s FA RW with middling stats on a championship team to a long contract
  • trading down in the draft
  • filling the bottom of the roster with unremarkable journeymen (won't somebody think about the kids?)
  • drafting a high skill New York kid who is committed to Harvard
  • Sticking with the same core that hasn't got it done
  • Getting little of value (nothing actually) for an aging former star player

These moves may turn out well, they may turn out poorly, or more likely it will be a mixed back like any other collection of off-season moves. I just find it funny - and not a little un-nerving - that each and every one of these types of transactions has been vilified on this board, supported by painful to remember examples. This is the Flamiest off-season I can recall.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:22 PM   #4431
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep older UFA’s and trading mid round picks for bottom roster players is the M.O. we have seen. I really thought this off season would be different but not yet.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 05:24 PM   #4432
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Criticize the lack of lateral trades, and commitment to change all you like. But giving BT flack for losing a player in the expansion draft is just silly.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #4433
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yep older UFA’s and trading mid round picks for bottom roster players is the M.O. we have seen. I really thought this off season would be different but not yet.

Same GM, same result, why expect different?

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:30 PM   #4434
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Criticize the lack of lateral trades, and commitment to change all you like. But giving BT flack for losing a player in the expansion draft is just silly.
Like I said back then, losing Giordano is fine. But he has to find a replacement. That and fill the massive gaping hole for offense (preferably an RW).
Old 07-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #4435
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We might be hanging on to certain core players too long and not getting a prime return. Sometimes you need to trade value to add the quality piece you need. Letting Monahan play through injuries season after season just diminished his value over time.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #4436
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, every team had to lose something in the expansion draft. But some teams managed to position themselves to lose very little, and BT positioned himself to lose the most valuable player lost by anyone. That's why he's taking flack, and deservedly so.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #4437
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yes it is.

There are two ways to look at it ... and both are correct.

He went by draft and went back further, a fair way to do it.

My point is that he's stopped bleeding picks and I went by calendar and looked at the last three years.

So no ... perfectly correct.

Lots to bitch about, no point in using fantasy.
The problem is that BT dug a deep hole. Then he filled part of the hole back in. But now he has started digging again. Sure, within the recent past the hole was deeper than it is now, but he's still in a hole. And there isn't really any indication he's learned a lesson about digging deeper, since he's back digging again in the last few days.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #4438
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say I am not overly pleased with the offseason. As soon as Lucic vs. Neal ended we have shifted to the new Coleman vs Hyman debate.

I think of Coleman as more of a Frolik/Ryan type signing as opposed to Brouwer/Neal. With Frolik and Ryan they provided very acceptable value to their deals for the first chunk of their contracts but by the end of those deals they were very expendable players who brought minimal value. I think for 3-4 years Coleman is going to be very solid but the back half are likely not the best years. His development curve also lead me to believe he could have his beat years between 30-32.

All the talk about Calgary not being a UFA destination they landed 2 of the top 5 guys in the last 2 seasons.

I really like the Zadorov pickup and the price. This was a key piece in the RoR trade to the Sabres and the Saad trade to the Hawks and was acquired for a 3rd. I think there is a lot of potential there that I hope Darry can harness. I think this was a solid signing and would be okay if he and Valimaki battled for the second pair left D spot.

Lewis and Pitlick are the meh type acquisitions I suspected.

I just really want more than a big UFA overpay and want the transformational trade. If I don’t see that I am ready to move on
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 06:04 PM   #4439
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's really no other way out of this mess. They either trade for Eichel or rebuild, and I'm thinking the organization is just too asset poor to field a contender even after that trade. If they do, it will be a short lived window.

In reality, he's competing with many other teams for the same players. It's unlikely we make a blockbuster trade like that on the best of days.

Instead, the only alternative for a GM on his last life is to tread water and fill holes with paper mache instead of cement.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #4440
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
The problem is that BT dug a deep hole. Then he filled part of the hole back in. But now he has started digging again. Sure, within the recent past the hole was deeper than it is now, but he's still in a hole. And there isn't really any indication he's learned a lesson about digging deeper, since he's back digging again in the last few days.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: