Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 10:12 PM   #421
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks BoLevi. As disappointing as your deflection was it caused me to start reading into the story about the poster at that University. They started a dialogue after, and had a panel at the University with that Iman and several other local religious leaders. Right now I'm listening to a CBC radio segment with those same people. They have a gay Rabbi on and listening to him is incredibly interesting.

Oh, and it turns out the Iman's objection was just about how the poster singled out Muslims. Also the Iman is a white guy from Calgary, that's pretty neat. But hey, even if he is homophobic, that still wouldn't have anything to do with Kadri

Dragging Kadri into this just because he's brown is still an absolute scumbag move, but hey, we're talking about it now, I guess your deflection and whataboutism worked perfectly. Congrats!

Last edited by btimbit; 03-19-2023 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:50 PM   #422
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

BoLevi is simply co-opting the performance of a person like Ben Shapiro. The problem is that they are applying that performance narrowed to a community that is mostly smart to the performance, which is essentially an appeal to ignorant, small-C conservative's personification of 'smart'. The problem for the CP community is that just enough members are willing to participate in the performance.

They use a lot of flowery language and smart-sounding reasoning to qualify objectively stupid - albeit resonating - rationale and logic, utilizing misdirection, deflection, and disinformation to appear like an informed objector and/or advocate for privileged victims. In other words this all seems clever to an ignorant person, so therefor they must know what they're talking about. They don't, and it's pretty simple to see through if you have rudimentary skills in critical and independent thinking.

They are provocative to those easily baited, which generates the attention and disruption they crave. They are intellectuals to those that have no interest in uncovering their own complexities toward any given subject and prefer to be fed opinions on subjects beyond their comprehension.

The big failure, or what should be considered as such, is that these types of performances eventually circle around to expose their backwards, regressive, and illogical thinking because they can't keep the character straight. There is no accountability or pushback towards it in the bubbles these folks typically prefer to perform. That didn't happen here, so BoLevi is then exposed by picking the wrong audience.

Thankfully for ol' Bo there are just enough marks to keep them coming back to the trough. It would be better for the community to ignore the performance.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 11:06 PM   #423
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
BoLevi is simply co-opting the performance of a person like Ben Shapiro. The problem is that they are applying that performance narrowed to a community that is mostly smart to the performance, which is essentially an appeal to ignorant, small-C conservative's personification of 'smart'. The problem for the CP community is that just enough members are willing to participate in the performance.
Yeah, but too many dolts are and it's taking over too many discussions.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:12 PM   #424
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Not anticipating any issues, and hopefully the event goes off as planned.

It's unfortunate that one player (a minority) may be looked upon as either a homophobe or a hypocrite, and who has been unfairly thrust into the spotlight.

There are other former teammates of James Reimer currently on the Flames who will not face the same scrutiny.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:20 PM   #425
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Not anticipating any issues, and hopefully the event goes off as planned.

It's unfortunate that one player (a minority) may be looked upon as either a homophobe or a hypocrite, and who has been unfairly thrust into the spotlight.

There are other former teammates of James Reimer currently on the Flames who will not face the same scrutiny.
In fairness to BoLevi, it was James Reimer who caused that by inexplicably bringing up Kadri; not anyone here.

The problem the Flames will have is that they're selling press level tickets for $49 and Greens for $102 when they're half that amount on FansFirst.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:58 AM   #426
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

No it was BoLevi dragging Kadris name in the mud because of something he made up in his head.

What a joke.

If this was Kadri doing this bs would BoLevi go to great lengths like he has to applaud him for his non-compliance? Pulling up a bunch of garbage articles about white Christian players?

Why don't you stop wasting time and just come out and say it. I do not like Kadri because he is a Muslim.

Good job you accomplished your goal.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:06 AM   #427
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'd like to remain half full on that, but have you seen a significant portion of our population speak to the trans community?
I agree that there is much work left to do. My post was in response to Canon7 who was lamenting that society is “tearing itself apart” by not listening and respecting the views of bigots who do not support the LGBTQ2 community.

My perspective is to call them out frequently and often for their bigotry. As they become more marginalized (the voices of bigotry) I believe this will help society continue to move towards more inclusivity.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:29 AM   #428
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking at the goalie stats on MoneyPuck, and couldn't help but notice what they did to Reimer:

Old 03-20-2023, 07:42 AM   #429
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's an idea: Absolutely no statements of any kind, political or otherwise, in sports. No anthems, no special nights for different groups. Just play the game. We live in a free country. If a hockey player has an opinion or belief that is contra-narrative or religious I don't give a ####. It's an international game. Different cultures, values, beliefs, etc. They are nonesense empty gestures anyways - corporations have no allegiance except to money.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 07:54 AM   #430
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Here's an idea: Absolutely no statements of any kind, political or otherwise, in sports. No anthems, no special nights for different groups. Just play the game. We live in a free country. If a hockey player has an opinion or belief that is contra-narrative or religious I don't give a ####. It's an international game. Different cultures, values, beliefs, etc. They are nonesense empty gestures anyways - corporations have no allegiance except to money.
Basically make no attempt to progress as a society and continue to allow religious people to treat the gay community as less than human?

Your idea sucks.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:14 AM   #431
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I agree that there is much work left to do. My post was in response to Canon7 who was lamenting that society is “tearing itself apart” by not listening and respecting the views of bigots who do not support the LGBTQ2 community.
Never said that. But reading comprehension is not CP's strong suit. It would actually be strange if another poster reiterated something I posted accurately.

Tolerance doesn't mean you have to listen or respect. We even verified this in the dictionary since there were many here conflating that being unsupportive is the same thing as being intolerant. But that is just semantics, which is the logical aspects of meaning, so clearly not important around here.

Am also enjoying BoLevi tying CPers into knots with their double standards between homophobia and islamophobia. Not one self-reflective post. Not that I expected any more, I'm just here for a good laugh after I've gotten my fill of hockey news.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:16 AM   #432
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Right… and here they make money from the public via ticket and merchandise sales. So, they want to appeal to as many people as possible. Your idea is to not do that but to still survive as a business somehow?

I don’t understand the “corporations only care about your money” thing in the way it is being used in this thread. First of all, duh we all understand the point of a company is to make money for the people who work there. Second, Is the NHL run by one robot? Or do you know first hand the personal goals of every executive involved in the company? And let’s say you do, well… they employ a PR team for obvious reasons (see the entire source of revenue above). So nobody who works there actually cares about the causes they’re working on? I don’t understand. Like yeah, we need jobs. But have you ever worked with a person on anything? People care a whole hell of a lot about the things they put time into. People are typically proud of their accomplishments. And the reason it’s an initiative at all is because it’s important to some people… lots of people actually.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:25 AM   #433
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Is the NHL run by one robot?
I have it on good authority that Bettman is an unfeeling robot.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:33 AM   #434
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post

Am also enjoying BoLevi tying CPers into knots with their double standards between homophobia and islamophobia. Not one self-reflective post. Not that I expected any more, I'm just here for a good laugh after I've gotten my fill of hockey news.
They're both bad. White Christians are at the nexus of power and those in the marginalized communities are allowed to punch up. White Christians making themselves martyrs and trying to make like their marginalized and victims is really where the good laugh should be. Hope that helps.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Old 03-20-2023, 08:34 AM   #435
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read a bit on Reddit and maybe it was actually attributed to Burke? But anyway it was something along the lines of:

The Canucks wore Diwali jerseys; it doesn't mean all the Canuck players believe in the same values as Hindus/Sikhs, but rather they are symbolizing that their organization welcomes this community.

If a team wore Muslim themed jerseys, it doesn't mean the team believes in the same values as Muslims, but rather they are symbolizing that their organization welcomes this community.

The same applies to the pride jersey. If your religion forbids homosexuality, that is your own personal thing. But you can't say to a gay person "no, you aren't welcome to play hockey with us". The pride jersey represents that the organization welcomes this community to be a part of their club and play their sport.

I wonder if James Reimer would refuse to play with a gay teammate?
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 08:37 AM   #436
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't think he would. But he'd be all 'love the sinner, hate the sin' about it.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:39 AM   #437
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I read a bit on Reddit and maybe it was actually attributed to Burke? But anyway it was something along the lines of:

The Canucks wore Diwali jerseys; it doesn't mean all the Canuck players believe in the same values as Hindus/Sikhs, but rather they are symbolizing that their organization welcomes this community.

If a team wore Muslim themed jerseys, it doesn't mean the team believes in the same values as Muslims, but rather they are symbolizing that their organization welcomes this community.

The same applies to the pride jersey. If your religion forbids homosexuality, that is your own personal thing. But you can't say to a gay person "no, you aren't welcome to play hockey with us". The pride jersey represents that the organization welcomes this community to be a part of their club and play their sport.

He says he wouldn’t refuse and would welcome them just the same, but it boils down to the fact that words are easy to say and actions are harder. He can say whatever, but the fact that he has apparently discussing whether he would wear this practice jersey for a year and in the end decided not to wear a practice jersey that represents the exact things that he said he stood for is pretty telling.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 08:42 AM   #438
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
They're both bad. White Christians are at the nexus of power and those in the marginalized communities are allowed to punch up. White Christians making themselves martyrs and trying to make like their marginalized and victims is really where the good laugh should be. Hope that helps.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."
~ -Kevin Alfred Strom
Old 03-20-2023, 08:45 AM   #439
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."
~ -Kevin Alfred Strom
You threw a fit when we criticized Reimer’s beliefs, so I assume he rules over you?

Kind of sad. He’s not even that good of a goalie.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:46 AM   #440
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was tweeting about this on Saturday and while I really have Feelings(TM) about the rainbow washing of Pride for corporate and Capitalist purposes, I think it's pretty sad when you can't just wear the jersey for 20 minutes that represents is effectively a watered-down definition of Pride. Pride is a protest. It's Queer resistance in the face of a society that largely would rather we at best stay in the closet, and at worst die out. In fact the latter was largely a reason for global inaction during the AIDS Crisis which we've largely memory hole'd as a result.

I have been yelled at by strangers when I'm with my friends, I have friends that have been subjected to much worse. So I'm sorry (not sorry) that James can't put on a warm up jersey that represents the bare minimum signaling that if BoLevi hate crimmed me at the Saddledome the Flames would feel bad for me.

Quote:
~ -Kevin Alfred Strom
Yeah, you're right, Queer youth aren't killing themselves in record numbers. They have all the power in this society. There also isn't any anti Trans legislation sweeping the US or Great Britan. You're right. I'm really the ####### here. / eye roll
Closed Thread