Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #421
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Which is a shame because it goes back to the perceived failure of Solo which again, in my opinion was a failure on behalf of the studio as opposed to a bad film.

Between Solo and Rogue One I'm really liking the one-off Star Wars stories.
Yup I was actually just coming back to add that, it was a result of circumstances not the actual content.

I still hope they do the Star Wars one offs, I'm ok with them not releasing one EVERY year (although I do enjoy the annual Christmas tradition), but I hope this isn't the end.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #422
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Yup I was actually just coming back to add that, it was a result of circumstances not the actual content.

I still hope they do the Star Wars one offs, I'm ok with them not releasing one EVERY year (although I do enjoy the annual Christmas tradition), but I hope this isn't the end.
Its fan service. Thats what it ultimately is.

The new trilogies/canon whatever you want to call it is Star Wars in the future, the prequels were a horror never to be mentioned again, but the one-off Star Wars Stories are the characters and Universe that we all know and love.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #423
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I actually enjoyed the Dark Knight Rises. It just reeks in comparison to the Dark Knight, which is an academy award level film.
Anne Hathaways' butt on the batcycle makes up for all the shortcomings. vroom vroom
ummm is that an action figure?? haha

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 10-26-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:02 AM   #424
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So the rumour about the Boba fett movie is that it was actually going to take place after the legendary ESB scene where Vader is rallying the mercs to capture solo, sans disentegrations.

The movie would follow the steps Boba took to locate Solo and the falcon in n the process flesh out the other merc characters such as Dengar, Bossk, IG, etc...

I have to say I think that premise is really cool.

https://www.cbr.com/canceled-boba-fe...plot-revealed/

Last edited by GreenLantern; 10-30-2018 at 02:04 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:24 AM   #425
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
So the rumour about the Boba fett movie is that it was actually going to take place after the legendary ESB scene where Vader is rallying the mercs to capture solo, sans disentegrations.

The movie would follow the steps Boba took to locate Solo and the falcon in n the process flesh out the other merc characters such as Dengar, Bossk, IG, etc...

I agree. However, it depends on how it was done. If it was an empty CGI driven film like Solo, I think it would take away more from the franchise as a whole, than add.

However, if they did it like Rogue One, with a more fitting tone and scenes from the originals spliced in, that would have been pretty great.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #426
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it places too many constraints on the character. You are essentially putting the movie in a two week piece of time where the ending and the trap that is set up are known. It would have been boring as no matter what happens the trap is laid at cloud city.

Now the boat sinking at the end of Titanic is the counter but to me to make these movies work you need a bunch of aha moments where you see in more detail what was once hand waived.

Rogue one had the why did the exhaust port exist and explained how they go the plans. This was set up as a war / heist movie genre flick. With a boba fett lures Han to cloud city? What is there to figure out?

Where the Han movie fell flat was you knew where Han needed to get to. Boba Fett has this flaw but worse. Now if you make these movies for 100 million none of this matters but when you need 450million domestic to break even you need a story that explores new ground.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #427
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Another issue with a Boba Fett movie is that the character just doesn't talk that much. If their going to do a bunch of scenes where he pulls off his helmet and explores his inter-personal relationships, I think that would really take away from the mystery of the character.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #428
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we're all just going to agree to ignore Johnny Makarov's post about an action figure's butt?

I think that's the right call.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #429
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I disagree. I think it would be really cool to see the interaction between the different bounty hunters as they try to track down the Falcon and its crew. You see them double, triple, crossing each other in the process. We finally get some more big screen exploration for fan favourites like Bossk, IG-88, 4-LOM and Zuckuss. These characters have been explored in other series and Legends material and the fans loved it.

Also for Boba Fett, we saw him as a kid in the prequels, we've seen him a lot in Clone Wars also as a kid, I am ok with him taking off his helmet and talking. There isn't much mystery to me, he looks like Jango Fett and has a kiwi? Australian? Ya'll sound the same. accent.

Knowing the ending isn't that big of a deal, it's the journey to get to that ending that would be interesting and is the whole hook for the movie.

Either way it doesn't matter now it's cancelled, so it seems Disney agrees with you guys and not me, but I think as a hardcore fan this is exactly the type of movie that would have drawn me in. As opposed to that mess we saw with The Last Jedi.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #430
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ewan McGregor has been cast as Black Mask for the Birds of Prey movie....what an amazing get by DC.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #431
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if that means no Obi-Wan film.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #432
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Wonder if that means no Obi-Wan film.
Well, it was announced that the 'one off' Star Wars stories that were planned have been put on pause. Boba Fett I believe has been outright canceled, so theres a good chance that the Obi-Wan film is indefinitely delayed.

Which is a shame, because with McGregor attached that could have been really good. He was the only shining light in the pitch black quagmire that was 'The Prequels.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Old 11-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #433
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

From the articles I have read it sounds like Lucas Film is keeping a tight seal on future Star Wars plans and hoping to use Episode IX to kind of set things back on track. As we've already mentioned numerous times, poor Solo wasn't what un hinged the franchise, it was clearly The Last Jedi, but Solo has to suffer due to its placement.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #434
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd watch an ObiWan movie. I'd wait to watch a bobba Fett movie until it came onto Netflix.

They really need to plot the course properly in this last of the new trilogy. I don't know how they allowed such a dramatic shift from TFA and TLJ. I liked them both just fine but they hardly came outwith a good saga story line.

I feel they effed up Kylo really bad from one movie to the next. I can live with Luke going the way he did but the lack of deeper context took the emotion right out of it.

And I feel like they're hanging by a thread keeping Rey on track from becoming a truly iconic character in this universe.

They've rushed her a bit but really I feel they fixed it up a bit at the end of TLJ with her being reminded being a jedi isn't much more than just moving stones. when the most important thing she did was moving stones.

I really hope they get it right. But i am prepared for Disney to really just chuck out another messy plot because toys need selling.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:13 AM   #435
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boba Fett looks cool but as an actual character he’s pretty overrated. I wasn’t overly interested in a Boba Fett movie so not a huge loss there.

They do, however, need an Obi-Wan movie. With Ewan.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #436
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long live the King and Queen! So what does everyone expect Aquaman to do at the box office? I'm predicting between $250-$300 Mill in North America.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #437
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think it will end up being a really fun movie, something the DC universe has been missing. I'm a little worried about the CGI fest, but ... all the other movies get away with it.

I don't see it being an overly GOOD movie, but what it has going for it is there will not be a lot of competition comic book movie wise lol. IF they had released Solo at christmas instead I would be worried.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #438
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it will end up being a really fun movie, something the DC universe has been missing. I'm a little worried about the CGI fest, but ... all the other movies get away with it.

I don't see it being an overly GOOD movie, but what it has going for it is there will not be a lot of competition comic book movie wise lol. IF they had released Solo at christmas instead I would be worried.
This pretty much exactly echoes my opinion.

They got a prime release date without much competition and a character with a little bit of levity.

It may not be 'good' per se, but neither was Wonder Woman really, as long as its fun thats better than you could say about most of DC's rollouts.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #439
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Boba Fett looks cool but as an actual character he’s pretty overrated. I wasn’t overly interested in a Boba Fett movie so not a huge loss there.

They do, however, need an Obi-Wan movie. With Ewan.

I always thought that he was like the ninja's in the old movies. The mysterious masked stranger that you saw out of the side of your vision leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. Or the craggedy old gun fighter who sits at the bar and looks around with dead eyes.

When provoked the poop was on and in the end those characters stood in the middle of a pile of corpses, threw a coin at the bartender and then walked away.

I kept waiting for that moment with Fett, but it never came, instead I think George panicked with him in ROTJ and gave him a worse death then Mace Windu.

I tend to think that looking back on it, George should have probably had Fett carve up someone like Chewie and knocked out Solo and had a one against one battle against Luke, a battle by the way of science vs magic. The wizard versus the gunslinger.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #440
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

$200 million would be a good haul for Aquaman IMO. Puts it just under Venom, Solo and Ant Man and the Wasp.

It doesn't have the built-in audience any of those movies had.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote