Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #421
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My personal opinion on pitbulls, is, if my parents had one, I would not take my kids over to visit, they can come to my house where we have a dog that is not a pitbull, and visit.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #422
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, I kind of agree with you, although there are probably some docile breeds over 50lbs so I'm not sure I'd want to go that far. I don't know enough about dogs to make that call, but I get your point.
It's clear that you know very little about dogs which is part of the problem.

Once again the idea that a little dog is better because it can't do much damage is a major part of the problem. It's not ok to assume that a little dog can't do a lot of damage.

If the reported story is true the owner of the small dogs is even more to blame. It's really unfortunate that any person or dog got hurt but you need to be responsible for your dogs.

Any dog over 20lbs could have easily hurt that little pomeranian in this situation.

I also find your outrage at the girl getting bitten on the hand a little odd. It sounds like she needed some stitches which is exactly the level of risk you all seem comfortable with for small dogs. Someone stated earlier that they know their little dog could only cause enough damage to warrant a few stitches and they were comfortable with that.

All that aside I agree with the poster above the owners need an assessment if the dogs aren't considered aggressive, especially since that owner has a young child.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #423
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wouldn't support a ban on specific breeds, but, as someone who has never even considered getting a Rottweiler or pitbull, I am curious to know what reasons anyone would have for preferring them over any other breed.

Last edited by gargamel; 01-03-2013 at 10:36 AM.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #424
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I kind of agree with you, although there are probably some docile breeds over 50lbs so I'm not sure I'd want to go that far. I don't know enough about dogs to make that call, but I get your point.
I was using sarcasm to demonstrate how absurd your point was. I'm glad to see you now admit you don't know much about dogs. There lies the problem with the bashing of bigger breeds of dogs. Most people don’t understand them and therefore fear them.
I have always owned a dog in various sizes. The one common thing with each of them is that I either took them for training or did the training myself. With so many of the little yappy type dogs their owners don't feel the need to train them.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #425
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't matter if the other dogs "instigated it." Back to pylon's wiener dog example...if these dogs took a nip at pylon's dog nothing would have happened. But because these dogs are pit bulls (aka pyscho killing machines), a dog was bit in half and a girl was sent to the hospital. There's simply no need for a dog (let alone three) as powerful as a pit bull to be anywhere other than maybe a war zone, although even then I'm not sure they're smart enough to determine who is the enemy and who is friendly/civilian.
Every decent point you make is outweighed by your constant need to include garbage like this. Over and over again you make it impossible to side with you because you simply can't help but act like a child. Try leaving that stuff out, I think you'll find people may actually listen to you.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #426
HerbalMagic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Can we just ban Sliver?
HerbalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #427
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #428
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Every decent point you make is outweighed by your constant need to include garbage like this. Over and over again you make it impossible to side with you because you simply can't help but act like a child. Try leaving that stuff out, I think you'll find people may actually listen to you.
I'm still of the opinion that this is nothing but a massive troll by Sliver. I mean, when he makes comments like you highlighted, in my opinion, he's merely stoking the fire. He probably giggles with glee every time he's engaged.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #429
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I was using sarcasm to demonstrate how absurd your point was. I'm glad to see you now admit you don't know much about dogs. There lies the problem with the bashing of bigger breeds of dogs. Most people don’t understand them and therefore fear them.
I have always owned a dog in various sizes. The one common thing with each of them is that I either took them for training or did the training myself. With so many of the little yappy type dogs their owners don't feel the need to train them.
haha, oh sorry man. I thought I had found an ally.

Well, I don't think my point is absurd and I know you're wrong that dogs like rotties and pit bulls shouldn't be feared. They can do a lot of damage and a healthy dose of fear is very reasonable.

With training those risks probably can be mitigated, but I don't trust your average rottie or pit bull owner to be the type that will properly train their dog.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #430
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Amazing how it's your total ignorance that creates fear. Shocking how that works.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #431
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
It's clear that you know very little about dogs which is part of the problem.

Once again the idea that a little dog is better because it can't do much damage is a major part of the problem. It's not ok to assume that a little dog can't do a lot of damage.

If the reported story is true the owner of the small dogs is even more to blame. It's really unfortunate that any person or dog got hurt but you need to be responsible for your dogs.

Any dog over 20lbs could have easily hurt that little pomeranian in this situation.

I also find your outrage at the girl getting bitten on the hand a little odd. It sounds like she needed some stitches which is exactly the level of risk you all seem comfortable with for small dogs. Someone stated earlier that they know their little dog could only cause enough damage to warrant a few stitches and they were comfortable with that.

All that aside I agree with the poster above the owners need an assessment if the dogs aren't considered aggressive, especially since that owner has a young child.
You're right, I don't know a lot about dogs. I don't think it should be a requirement of living in Calgary. I don't like them and I don't like them near me for reasons I've stated before.

I'm outraged a little girl was bitten because I have a little girl and I hate to think of her facing a situation like that one.

I concede it sounds hypocritical that I'm willing to accept the risk of a few stitches on her hand if it were done by a small dog versus the pit bull; however, I think the situation she faced being pit bulls was far more frightening than if it were pylon's wiener dog. I guarantee you there will be sleepless nights, nightmares and anxiety over this encounter of hers because it was so terrifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Okay, I'll try. But you could also focus on my point more if you wanted to and less on specific snippets. You hate my arguing style and that's fine, but I don't like how you can never read my point and instead dissect out one part every time to tell me the greater meaning is lost.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #432
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I love St. Bernards but they drool like crazy, are notoriously unhealthy and die young.

Too bad cause that's the exact type of dog I'd want. Big, affectionate and more on the lazy side. Seems like every other breed thats at least medium size and affectionate is also pretty energetic which to me, rules them out of a sub 2,000 sqft, tiny/no yard house.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #433
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Amazing how it's your total ignorance that creates fear. Shocking how that works.
Okay, well tell me why I shouldn't be afraid of three pit bulls or four rotties. If I walk outside my house and four unleashed rottweilers come up to me as they're leaving my neighbour's yard and heading for their truck, what should I do when it's just me and my daughter (6) or son (5)? I honestly don't know and I hate the thought of running into that situation.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #434
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
haha, oh sorry man. I thought I had found an ally.

Well, I don't think my point is absurd and I know you're wrong that dogs like rotties and pit bulls shouldn't be feared. They can do a lot of damage and a healthy dose of fear is very reasonable.

With training those risks probably can be mitigated, but I don't trust your average rottie or pit bull owner to be the type that will properly train their dog.
Fata me...and you're teaching your kids this? And so another generation of Slivers is born.

Didn't you just say you don't know much about dogs? I can only assume you are now baiting people in this thread.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #435
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Fata me...and you're teaching your kids this? And so another generation of Slivers is born.

Didn't you just say you don't know much about dogs? I can only assume you are now baiting people in this thread.
Oh please, like it's so unreasonable to be afraid of large canines.

Honestly you guys, it's no wonder nobody agrees with me in these threads as you yourselves act like a pack of dogs whenever somebody says something against them. I don't blame people for not wanting to speak up, but I guarantee you others share my exact sentiments. I've talked to my friends in real life about this and my opinions aren't as far out in left field as you make it seem.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #436
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sliver is getting dangerously close to (unintended) self-parody territory here.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #437
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh please, like it's so unreasonable to be afraid of large canines.

Honestly you guys, it's no wonder nobody agrees with me in these threads as you yourselves act like a pack of dogs whenever somebody says something against them. I don't blame people for not wanting to speak up, but I guarantee you others share my exact sentiments. I've talked to my friends in real life about this and my opinions aren't as far out in left field as you make it seem.
Instead of fear, how about teaching your kids to have a healthy dose of respect for dogs...all dogs, big or small. How about educating your kids, and yourself, that dogs can be unpredictable but are not inherently evil.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't be cautious with big dogs, but jesus you take it to the extreme.

I don't know, and have never known anybody with you're viewpoints on dogs.

Last edited by Zevo; 01-03-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #438
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I love St. Bernards but they drool like crazy, are notoriously unhealthy and die young.

Too bad cause that's the exact type of dog I'd want. Big, affectionate and more on the lazy side. Seems like every other breed thats at least medium size and affectionate is also pretty energetic which to me, rules them out of a sub 2,000 sqft, tiny/no yard house.
Get a Greyhound, has all that, plus the added bonus of they are very quiet.

Last edited by DuffMan; 01-03-2013 at 11:11 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #439
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

The point is that St. Bernards are Exhibit A on why Sliver is ill-informed when he thinks that a blanket ban on any dog larger than 50 lbs is a good idea. Despite being 200+ lbs, St. Bernards are a perfect example of "gentle giants", and they were selectively bred to save lives and rescue people caught in Alpine avalanches.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #440
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Get a Greyhound.
I was leaning more to a Bullmastiff as another option. I heard Greyhounds can be too lazy.

But then on the other hand the intelligence of the more energetic breeds is also tempting.

Picking a dog breed is so difficult.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking