Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 10:54 AM   #421
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marner has always been a crybaby. He’s worn out his nine lives here. It’s not the media’s fault at all. We’ve seen this story before and how he can’t take criticism. He’s an entitled baby. As talented as he is he’s the second or third option with no guys in front of him to make hits. So he’s a fairly ineffective player. If he goes to a team like Florida where he can be protected perhaps he can do more but as it stands if he’s up against a physical opponent he’s going to be neutered.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:56 AM   #422
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
There must be change this off-season. With all that offensive talent, the Leafs still can't score.
Tre will find the best over the hill UFAs money can buy.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:59 AM   #423
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Don't forget the players he pines for he typically finds a way to sign. Jason Zucker, you are a Toronto Maple Leaf!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:27 AM   #424
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I can’t see Marner going to Florida. Why would they need him?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:29 AM   #425
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I don't agree with this personally, aside from that first sentence. You don't think Reilly is generally a difference maker? He's a number 1 on many teams. He hasn't let them down this playoffs much. The core two have mostly been tame. Matthews doesn't make others around him better, he's a pure goalscorer who will not get his hands dirty in the corners aside from using his stick. Marner is timid and does not want to be hit. Tavares can be aggressive in the sense of taking it down the middle, but his age means limited speed. He also won't hit. Nylander was injured. Domi is perfect for what he brings for the team, Knies is perfect on the second line. Reeves and Bertuzzi are inflated nothings. Jarnkrok and Kampf aren't a problem for where they are though not great (but you don't expect great from fourth line guys). Anyway, they lost because their top two didn't perform, not because of their bottom two lines didn't perform. Their back end aside from Reilly and McCabe, is mediocre, and their goaltending didn't steal one. But their true reason for losing really lies on their top guys not getting dirty and scoring. In the playoffs everyone has to push hard and do things outside their comfort zone. Matthews and Marner, specifically, for all they're getting paid do not do anything outside their comfort. As "leaders" it's pathetic.
See this is a problem that Leafs fans still believe this. Morgan Rielly is a #1 defenseman on teams that will never, ever win a Stanley Cup. He's maybe a 2nd defenseman or 2nd pairing on a team good enough to win 16 games in the playoffs but if he's your best defenseman, the team never has a chance.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 11:36 AM   #426
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Marner will end up in Utah.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:40 AM   #427
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue is your #1 center has 69 goals and 30 assists. He doesn't make others better. His stats should be reversed.

It's a flawed roster, with flawed players.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 11:42 AM   #428
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
See this is a problem that Leafs fans still believe this. Morgan Rielly is a #1 defenseman on teams that will never, ever win a Stanley Cup. He's maybe a 2nd defenseman or 2nd pairing on a team good enough to win 16 games in the playoffs but if he's your best defenseman, the team never has a chance.

I'm not a Leaf fan. And I appreciate there are top tier dmen which are only a handful (ie: Makar, Hughes, Josi, Hedman), then there's a drop off. But I'd put him in that second tier where there are a ton of guys. Surely you want Makar and such because they're hugely impactful but in lieu of knowing you can't have those you have to compensate by having two second tier guys. It comes down to the model in place you have as a team in how you want to distribute your money. What I'm getting is Rielly as your #1 is not hurting this Leafs team this year. The problems are up front guys not scoring and not playing a more aggressive game against a Boston team that plays more aggressive. It's simply not a good matchup.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:00 PM   #429
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ideally Morgan Rielly is a 2 or 3 on a cup winning team.

Definition of a guy who is overrated because he's a Canadian kid playing in Toronto.

He's not elite offensively and isn't great defensively. Probably not even a top 25 dman in the league IMO

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-29-2024 at 12:17 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:13 PM   #430
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I can’t see Marner going to Florida. Why would they need him?

Not saying I think he will end up in FLA, but Reinhart is UFA and is going to get paid somewhere.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 12:20 PM   #431
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Ideally Morgan Rielly is a 2 or 3 on a cup winning team.

Definition of a guy who is overrated because he's a Canadian kid playing in Toronto.

He's not elite offensively and isn't great defensively. Probably not even a top 25 dman in the league IMO
Reilly is a #1 the same way Lindholm was a #1C.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 12:23 PM   #432
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I'm not a Leaf fan. And I appreciate there are top tier dmen which are only a handful (ie: Makar, Hughes, Josi, Hedman), then there's a drop off. But I'd put him in that second tier where there are a ton of guys. Surely you want Makar and such because they're hugely impactful but in lieu of knowing you can't have those you have to compensate by having two second tier guys. It comes down to the model in place you have as a team in how you want to distribute your money. What I'm getting is Rielly as your #1 is not hurting this Leafs team this year. The problems are up front guys not scoring and not playing a more aggressive game against a Boston team that plays more aggressive. It's simply not a good matchup.
You’re overrating Reilly to a very large degree. Which is common for Toronto players.

Didn’t he get injured this year and then the team go on a hot streak without him? The Leafs need to wrap their heads around the fact that there are other positions to care about in hockey other than forwards (or not, I’m happy with them losing into eternity).
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:29 PM   #433
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
You’re overrating Reilly to a very large degree. Which is common for Toronto players.

Didn’t he get injured this year and then the team go on a hot streak without him? The Leafs need to wrap their heads around the fact that there are other positions to care about in hockey other than forwards (or not, I’m happy with them losing into eternity).
He wasn't injured. Suspended for cross-checking Ridly Greig after a goal.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:31 PM   #434
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s not whether there are a lot of teams where Reilly is a 1C. It’s whether there are a lot of good teams where that’s the case. And the answer is no.

Colorado, NYR, Dallas, Vancouver, Boston, TB, Nashville, Carolina, LA, Vegas, Winnipeg all have better. I think I prefer Weegar over Reilly.

Last edited by GioforPM; 04-29-2024 at 12:35 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 12:37 PM   #435
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's definitely not unanimously seen that way in Leafs Nation. I agree, he is not a #1. I'd put him below Hanifin, Andersson and Weegar if he were on the Flames. And Tanev would be the pick for any situation requiring high end D, obviously, but it's just that Rielly is still a good mover of the puck.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:43 PM   #436
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It’s not whether there are a lot of teams where Reilly is a 1C. It’s whether there are a lot of good teams where that’s the case. And the answer is no.

Colorado, NYR, Dallas, Vancouver, Boston, TB, Nashville, Carolina, LA, Vegas, Winnipeg all have better. I think I prefer Weegar over Reilly.
I think the issue is they view him as a #1 as well. They have never tried to upgrade on him, I know its not that simple, but still.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:47 PM   #437
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Obviously this wouldn't happen but would anyone do huberdeau+weegar/andersson for Marner straight up?
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:59 PM   #438
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
Obviously this wouldn't happen but would anyone do huberdeau+weegar/andersson for Marner straight up?
Yes, I'd do it in a heartbeat but it's a preposterous proposal. Treliving would be fired before the league filed the paperwork.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:13 PM   #439
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Not saying I think he will end up in FLA, but Reinhart is UFA and is going to get paid somewhere.
Yeah, fair enough if they lose Reinhart. I feel like they’ll find a way to lock him down, though.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 01:17 PM   #440
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, fair enough if they lose Reinhart. I feel like they’ll find a way to lock him down, though.
That will be a scary deal. Career year at 28, will be 29 when the next contract kicks in.