Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #421
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've heard of the cube and would love to try it. Would be a great way to play in a vintage format.

I have dominion and I don't think it's fair to compare it to magic. I enjoy both quite a bit, but they both scratch a different itch for me. With Magic, I enjoy building decks and trying to work out the metagame. I also enjoy being able to foil someone's well thought out plan with a simple counterspell, heh. That being said I do hate getting killed in 4 turns by someone who is obviously better at deckbuilding than me.

Dominion is a different kind of deckbuilding and on a limited scale. What I enjoy most about Dominion is adjusting my strategy on the fly to fit what my opponents are doing (or what random set of cards we drew this time around). It doesn't have any direct conflict though, which is a favourite of mine in most of the games I play.

Different games for different states of mind!

In terms of Dominion like games, I actually prefer Thunderstone and Blood Bowl Team Manager (although that one doesn't really fit into the Dominion archtype very well)

Last edited by dsavillian; 10-03-2012 at 04:47 PM.
dsavillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #422
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Hmm... so I tried a few games of Lost Cities vs the AI, and my initial impressions are that the initial turns are very important to the final outcome, but are also kind of a crapshoot. Is that accurate?
It's never going to be the most strategic game and sometimes you get dealt a bad starting hand, but you can usually overcome a bad starting hand over the course of a game. We've also found that the game is best if you count scores over 10 games instead of just one. This will even things out.

One of the reasons my wife and I enjoyed the game so much was that it was simple, fast and not that competitive. Not for a pair of hard core gamers.

Hammer of the Scots was one two player game I enjoyed more for the advanced gamers.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #423
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Crib
Old 10-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #424
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I don't have Magic cards, but I do play MTG:Tactics on the computer... it's a different game, but much cheaper if you can get over the initial difficulty hump without spending money.

MTGT also changed the mana system so that your mana increases on pre-determined turns ... only the colour is up to chance.

Last edited by SebC; 10-03-2012 at 06:05 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #425
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
[Dominion] doesn't have any direct conflict though, which is a favourite of mine in most of the games I play.
I dunno, passing someone a curse card seems pretty direct to me.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #426
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
If you want a super-fast, aggressive card game, give Warhammer: Invasion a try. Love that game.
How hard is that game to learn? I have always been interested in Warhammer, even though I know NOTHING about it.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #427
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno, passing someone a curse card seems pretty direct to me.

Doesn't that just pass all opponents curse cards? Or am I not remembering correctly.

Last edited by dsavillian; 10-04-2012 at 07:57 AM.
dsavillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #428
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just finished Fallcon on the weekend, played Republic of Rome - really liked it other than 1 odd mechanic - would buy it except I cant see a time I would play it more than a few times a year

Also took park in some more Dust Tactics, Brass, Airlines Europe, Robo Rally - all really fun games. Robo Rally is coming close to replacing T2R for my defacto introduction to new gamers.

Sold a few games at Fallcon, now down to 38 all of which I have played at least once in the last year. Also played Eclipse, not sure whether I will buy it, I played it twice in the last 10 days and every time I play and finish I always feel let down that it wasnt TI3. Really on the fence about buying it, anyone I could get to play it would likely play TI3 as well.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #429
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't that just pass all opponents curse cards? Or am I not remembering correctly.
Probably, I've only played Intrigue... still seems like direct conflict to me though.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #430
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Probably, I've only played Intrigue... still seems like direct conflict to me though.

Kinda, I guess.

how about I change "direct conflict" to "I really like plotting about how to take down an opponent"

I do enjoy Dominion though.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #431
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Race For The Galaxy AI:

http://playthisthing.com/race-galaxy-ai
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #432
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone just getting into Magic the Gathering, or have a kid who's just getting into it? I've got a collection of cards I'm looking to donate to a good home; haven't used them in years, and I don't have any friends who still play. By good home, I mean someone who's new enough to the game that they would actually have use of the whole collection, not someone who's just going to take the rare cards out and trade or junk the rest. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I've got no idea of the value of the collection, because I have no idea what once-rare cards have been re-released, or how the balance of the game has changed, etc.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #433
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Dice Tower - Tom and friends introduce you to the 2012 Edition of the Top 100 Games of all time!

http://www.youtube.com/user/thedicetower?feature=watch

http://www.dicetower.com/top_100/year2012.html

Last edited by troutman; 10-09-2012 at 01:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #434
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

My dad found a copy of the original Civilization (avalon hill) from the early 80s and a copy of The Rise and Decline of the Third Reich (also early 80s).

I know a bit about Civilization... it's really heavy and lengthy. I'd love to give it a try though. I wonder if it plays well without the "Advanced" expansion.

Anyone know anything about the 2nd one?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #435
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
How hard is that game to learn? I have always been interested in Warhammer, even though I know NOTHING about it.
It's really easy to play, actually. And each game goes by in about 10 minutes. Great fun.

Also, I've been playing more of Earth Reborn. Such a great game. My favourite board game at the moment (even more than Arkham Horror). Probably the best tactical minis game out at the moment, IMO.

Sedition Wars will be arriving next month, and I'm hoping that will also add to the awesome tactical minis action
Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #436
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Risk, Risk and more Risk. I own 5 different versions of it
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #437
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
Risk, Risk and more Risk. I own 5 different versions of it
I enjoy Risk but more for nostalgic reasons not gameplay. Have you tried any of the new wargames that remove the luck of dice rolls?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #438
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't stand the original Risk anymore, but I have played a couple new ones that are a bit better.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #439
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My dad found a copy of the original Civilization (avalon hill) from the early 80s and a copy of The Rise and Decline of the Third Reich (also early 80s).

I know a bit about Civilization... it's really heavy and lengthy. I'd love to give it a try though. I wonder if it plays well without the "Advanced" expansion.

Anyone know anything about the 2nd one?
I own both of those. I remember enjoying Third Reich, but it has been a long time. It sits on a lonely shelf with Squad Leader.

Basically WWII strategy encompassing the entire European theatre including Turkey and North Africa. Even have units for countries like Spain and Sweden so you can play a little loose with history if you wish.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #440
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I can't stand the original Risk anymore, but I have played a couple new ones that are a bit better.
Risk Legacy is supposed to be quite good. I have not tried it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/105134/risk-legacy

Risk Legacy represents what is if not a new, at least a rare concept to boardgaming: campaigning. At its core, the game, particularly at first, plays much like regular Risk with a few changes. Players control countries or regions on a map of the world, and through simple combat (with players rolling dice to determine who loses units in each battle) they try to eliminate all opponents from the game board or control a certain number of "red stars", otherwise known as victory points (VPs).

What's different is that Risk Legacy' changes over time based on the outcome of each game and the various choices made by players. In each game, players choose one of five factions; each faction has uniquely shaped pieces, and more importantly, different rules. At the start of the first game, each of these factions gains the ability to break one minor rule, such as the ability to move troops at any time during your turn, as opposed to only at the end.

What makes this game unique is that when powers are chosen, players must choose one of their faction's two powers, affix that power's sticker to their faction card, then destroy the card that has the other rule on it – and by destroy, the rules mean what they say: "If a card is DESTROYED, it is removed from the game permanently. Rip it up. Throw it in the trash." This key concept permeates through the game. Some things you do in a game will affect it temporarily, while others will affect it permanently. These changes may include boosting the resources of a country (for recruiting troops in lieu of the older "match three symbols" style of recruiting), adding bonuses or penalties to defending die rolls to countries, or adding permanent continent troop bonuses that may affect all players.

The rule book itself is also designed to change as the game continues, with blocks of blank space on the pages to allow for rules additions or changes. Entire sections of rules will not take effect until later in the game. The game box contains different sealed packages and compartments, each with a written condition for opening. The rule book indicates that these contain the rule additions, additional faction powers, and other things that should not be discussed here for spoiler protection.