Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #421
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Louis CK was kind of the same. People figured he'd come back and try to come in cleaner and more sensitive and he went the opposite, becoming more brash and controversial than before.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #422
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

The biggest issue is if the US wanted to tackle gun violence, it would be the Federal Government who has to enable federal laws that cover background checks, and tougher rules on gun ownership, training, etc..

The nutty states that want kids to have guns will never go for that, and militia's and nutters will finally get their wet dream scenario that the government is coming for their guns.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #423
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In actual fact, probably not.

Nothing to do with sanity sadly, but more to do with the fact that system designed to affect change is so effectively rigged that in order to actually do anything the amount of support required would have to be so overwhelming as to be nearly unanimous.

And thats just never going to happen. So the NRA can continue to sit back and chuckle and light their cigars with novelty pistol-shaped lighters.

But if people really felt that way, then the NRA wouldn't have to be lobbying the government, they would just be preaching to the choir.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #424
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
wow... that can't actually be Tyson tweeting that BS can it? When did he become a shill for the NRA?

I used to have a lot of respect for the guy...

His latest tweets are pretty crazy. Crazy like you would almost expect him to start spouting off flat earth and Obama birtherism theories.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #425
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1158100845872893952
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 05:43 PM   #426
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Trump "Hate has no place in our country"

Its amazing how totally detached from reality he is, he literally riles up right wing nationalist racists on a near daily basis.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #427
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
His latest tweets are pretty crazy. Crazy like you would almost expect him to start spouting off flat earth and Obama birtherism theories.
It's so sad as he was almost becoming an institution at one point. He was so well spoken and driven by facts and science. Now he's coming off as a desperate celebrity saying whatever to draw attention.

Startalk is one of the best podcasts out there.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #428
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Trump "Hate has no place in our country"

Its amazing how totally detached from reality he is, he literally riles up right wing nationalist racists on a near daily basis.
He's detached from realty because he's likely a sociopath. That tweet is actually an example of purposeful incorrect social commentary, not detached reality. His supporters are the ones displaying actions and views detached from reality.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #429
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Apparently Corp. Bone Spurs is deleting all his tweets that mention an immigration "invasion". The Grand Cheeto is not familar with screen captures i guess.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #430
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you have a white supremacist Trump loving sicko and a leftist Warren/Squad loving satanist both committing horrible mass shootings within 13hrs of each other. America is in trouble.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #431
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
So you have a white supremacist Trump loving sicko and a leftist Warren/Squad loving satanist both committing horrible mass shootings within 13hrs of each other. America is in trouble.
Mostly because of white nationalists being enabled by a president who clearly emboldens white extremists, which is what I'm assuming you meant to refer to. Or did you really mean that far right nationalists and Bernie supporters are what have America in trouble?
Old 08-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #432
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Mostly because of white nationalists being enabled by a president who clearly emboldens white extremists, which is what I'm assuming you meant to refer to. Or did you really mean that far right nationalists and Bernie supporters are what have America in trouble?
I never said anything about Bernie Supporters.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #433
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Ongoing US Mass Shooting Thread 2

I know Canada will post travel warnings for different countries for various reasons - disease outbreak, violence, etc. Does anyone have travel advisories to the US because of guns? Maybe they should.

I wonder if a decline in tourism would have any effect? Then again, nothing has had influence so far.

Also have to laugh at Trump saying these people have mental health issues and there's no place for hate in America. He should be locked up if that's true.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #434
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So did he just admit that his supporters have mental problems.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #435
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I know Canada will post travel warnings for different countries for various reasons - disease outbreak, violence, etc. Does anyone have travel advisories to the US because of guns? Maybe they should.

I wonder if a decline in tourism would have any effect? Then again, nothing has had influence so far.

Also have to laugh at Trump saying these people have mental health issues and there's no place for hate in America. He should be locked up if that's true.
Mass shootings are mentioned under the US but is treated as business as usual.

Violent crime

Within large metropolitan areas, violent crime more commonly occurs in economically disadvantaged neighbourhoods, particularly from dusk to dawn, and often involves intoxication. Incidents of violent crime are mainly perpetrated by gangs or members of organized crime groups.

Incidents of mass shooting occur, but account for a small percentage of homicide deaths in the country. The likelihood of a tourist being a victim of such an incident is low.

While violent crime rarely affects tourists, be mindful of your surroundings, particularly at night. Verify official neighbourhood crime statistics before planning an outing. If you are threatened by robbers, stay calm and do not resist.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #436
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that they say mass shooting only account for a small percentage of the violent crimes. Very reassuring.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #437
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I like that they say mass shooting only account for a small percentage of the violent crimes. Very reassuring.
It's crazy how normalized it has become. It's just a fact of life now.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #438
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post

There was a discussion here in Iceland years ago asking Icelander's if the violence in the US had an impact on travel plans to the US, it was a pretty shocking number of people (or not) that said they are unlikely to choose the US for vacation because of the state of affairs there.

Florida used to be a huge destination for Icelander's looking for sun, a lot of that has changed to EU destinations over the past decade.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #439
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
There was a discussion here in Iceland years ago asking Icelander's if the violence in the US had an impact on travel plans to the US, it was a pretty shocking number of people (or not) that said they are unlikely to choose the US for vacation because of the state of affairs there.

Florida used to be a huge destination for Icelander's looking for sun, a lot of that has changed to EU destinations over the past decade.
I have a feeling that the US has been wiped off a lot of folks travel destinations. My wife and I scrapped plans to go to various places there. The only 2 US States we'd think about going to now are the two that aren't attached to the other 48.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #440
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I actually just saw a Trump, Fox news guy on my friends FB wall asked if people got this upset at a AOC inspired shooter...

The US just needs to burn itself down and start over.