Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #4361
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shot 80 at D'arcy last night. Was + 4 after 5 holes and bogeyed 18 or would have shot 79. I've been consistently shooting around mid 90's average lately, used to be 10.5 handicap but have struggled lately but also haven't played more than 4 time a year last 10 years with kids. last night I took one more club than usual and swung free.

Still wildly inconsistent with my tee shots but approach to green has been improving.

Other scores this year all from blues

Da'rcy - 91 & 101
Mackenzie - 91
Drumheller - 97 & 103
Sirocco 96

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 06-28-2021 at 02:24 PM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #4362
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post

Drumheller - 97 & 193
Tell us about the second round at Drum...
Old 06-28-2021, 02:24 PM   #4363
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Tell us about the second round at Drum...
lol! I quit and drank! fixed to 103
Old 06-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #4364
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really don't enjoy Drumheller, we camp there every May long so play 2 rounds one with kids and one just dads. Don't like courses where there's so many blind landing areas.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:41 PM   #4365
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Breaking the Covid travel rules and going to BC tomorrow. Playing Greywolf on Friday and Wildstone down in Cranbrook on Sunday. Pretty excited!!
Well Greywollf was something else. Not overly difficult but just an amazing design and pristine condition. Shot 92 which is right at my handicap from the blacks. Bogey on "Cliff Hanger". Lots of walking even with a cart. Lots of fairway only holes and lots of fairway areas with carts not allowed. Made it difficult to get yardage and right clubs.

Wildstone I picked as a friend highly recommended it and we wanted to play in Crannbrook on the drive home. Wheels came off for me, I'm blaming the heat and sleep depreviation as there is no A/C in the Horsethief Lodge Condos and got zero sleep Saturday night. Played the Blues and shot 40 on the front but finished with a 94. Fun course to play, with some massive greens that were super quick, with lots of undulation. Depsite shooting 54 on the back, I only had two three putts and one four putt. Driver just went to crap and a 7 on a dinky little par 3 did me in. And it was like 35 degrees out there.

Overall I would not likely play either ever again but recommend everyone play Greywolf once despite the cost.

FYI: There were a ton of Red and White plates in the parking lots and never had an problems with anyone/ anything despite the BC travel rules.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #4366
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Well Greywollf was something else. Not overly difficult but just an amazing design and pristine condition.
Go play Sundre, same owners.

Courses are always immaculate.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #4367
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I found that it missed a shot every hole or two and I compensated by adding a putt quickly.

My battery on my Google Pixel 3 died on hole 9 or 10 with the app running.

I was a bit disappointed, but I'll try it today for 9 holes
I was using an iPhone Xr, and still had over 75% battery left after 9 holes.

It didn't miss any irons / woods shots, but it did miss some putts when I didn't address them (when tapped the ball in for a tap-in)
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #4368
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I forgot to mention was playing in Kelowna the bunkers had rakes back in them. Was great to play normally!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:53 PM   #4369
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just don’t get why people are excited to see bunker rakes.

Increases pace of play, increases maintenance costs and reduces efficiency, increases capital costs, creates more sources of complaints, makes a course less aesthetically pleasing, all for what? Golfers are generally terrible at raking bunkers so it doesn’t improve playability either.

Golf is better without bunker rakes.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:36 AM   #4370
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

No bunker rakes? What? Bunkers are part of the game and need to be maintained by players after they enter the bunker to make their shot or retrieve their ball. There is not more annoying in golf than hitting a bunker where someone entered and did not rake their tracks, then ending up in a footprint because some ####### was too lazy to rake the bunker. I agree that people need to learn how to rake a trap (the sand is pushed away from you back into the trap, not pulled toward you and out of the trap) and how to do it quickly and efficiently. But rakes need to be there. If you're not going to have rakes, then don't have bunkers on the golf course at all.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:40 AM   #4371
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
No bunker rakes? What? Bunkers are part of the game and need to be maintained by players after they enter the bunker to make their shot or retrieve their ball. There is not more annoying in golf than hitting a bunker where someone entered and did not rake their tracks, then ending up in a footprint because some ####### was too lazy to rake the bunker. I agree that people need to learn how to rake a trap (the sand is pushed away from you back into the trap, not pulled toward you and out of the trap) and how to do it quickly and efficiently. But rakes need to be there. If you're not going to have rakes, then don't have bunkers on the golf course at all.
Rakes were quarantined. Didn't want people sharing "surfaces" with their hands.

Agreed it was a silly measure but over reaction was what this country was all about for a while.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #4372
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played at Blue Devil yesterday - first round of the year - and looks like they are fully back to normal, no Covid protocols except for masks in the Pro Shop.

I'll miss the little levers on pins to pull your ball out, and no rakes in bunkers. We played with a single and he even tried to shake my hand on the first tee... lol, gross.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #4373
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post

Increases pace of play, increases maintenance costs and reduces efficiency, increases capital costs, creates more sources of complaints, makes a course less aesthetically pleasing, all for what? Golfers are generally terrible at raking bunkers so it doesn’t improve playability either.

Seems like a weird take. If bunker rakes slow your pace of play, you don't really know what you're doing IMO.

Frankly i'm sick of having to move my ball around into a real sand lie, then have it sitting in a foot print.

I rarely have issues with other players raking. A million times better than having to move it out of foot prints.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #4374
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like raking bunkers, but I do prefer landing in a raked bunker so of course I rake every time.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:44 AM   #4375
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
If you're not going to have rakes, then don't have bunkers on the golf course at all.
Excellent idea!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #4376
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post

Wow, that's a hot take.

increases pace of play? Not if your playing partners have a brain in their heads and play any kind of ready golf.

increases maintenance costs and reduces efficiency? what? How? The average course might replace a few rakes a year? OMG!

increases capital costs? You've already listed the cost, but for ####s and giggles, the capital cost of rakes would be about 100 - 200 rakes at maybe $10 (probably less) About equal to the depreciation on one single cart in one year (and that's being generous)

Creates more sources of complaints? You mean compared to non-raked bunkers? I think not.

makes a course less aesthetically pleasing? Having unraked bunkers makes a course less aesthetically pleasing - I don't even notice rakes.

Golfers are terrible at raking bunkers? So you are arguing that a raked bunker is less playable than an unraked bunker?

Did someone assault you with a rake when you were young?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #4377
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rakes. My old arch enemy!

Last edited by Red Ice Player; 06-29-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:14 PM   #4378
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Played Priddis-Hawk today. Course is in real great shape … to no surprise.

Rakes were out! I hit a shot into the bunker and then I raked it. Felt good!
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 10:16 PM   #4379
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Played 18 tonight for Mens league. Dispite the heat we had a nice breeze to help keep the temps down. And we had a great turnout.

Shot a personal best for the year with an 89.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #4380
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i bought these (https://www.golftown.com/en-CA/shoes...&start=1&sz=12) shoes the other day and have been wearing them around the hosue.

i am trying to decide if i like them or not - ideally, i would like a slightly wider toe box, also the tounge is integrated into the shoe, so it is hard to slip into.

i feel for the price i should love them. i am debating about a lunch run to Golftown to look at a few other pairs before making a final decision.

with all the changes in the shawnessy area and the destruction on stoney by mckenzie meadows golf course, it is such a PITA to get in/out of there from my place in the deep SE

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow