Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2022, 04:23 PM   #4341
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Once you've taken the dinosaurs out of the bottle it's hard to put them back in. A lot of what made the original JP great, was the build up and reveal of dinosaurs. You don't get to do that again.

They screwed up the following 2 when they had a chance to introduce new dinosaurs to us in a similar way but made terrible movies. Now we've seen all the dinosaurs (and new genetically designed fake dinosaurs). The new ones just monster movies with lots of destruction, without great stories.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 05:42 PM   #4342
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Original JP is just a masterclass is filmmaking. Spielberg at the height of his powers paired with John Williams' incredible score.

So many genius and incredibly simple effects offering the viewer a much more immersive and suspenseful experience. To make a simple plastic cup of water rippling under the immense shockwave of the T Rex making its way towards us, as the viewer we share that feeling of fear and wonder of the magnitude of what's in store for the characters. It's awesome. The respect the main characters give to the Raptors and the T Rex, and the dinosaurs in general is largely missing from the future films. All Chris Pratt has to do to stop the Raptors from attacking is just extend his arms towards them or maybe make a click sound. Sure!
The amount of work and ingenuity that JUST went into the water rippling in the cup was impressive. It's worth reading about.

Hard to give something that isn't there the respect of a real object in your space. Thats what probably made the animatronics so much easier to work with and make the acting believable.

Just having that physical rex moving toward you in the jeep, you can understand why Dern's blood curdling scream there probably wasn't hard for her to "fake". Being next to that thing would give me nightmares.

Funny enough the gas jeep chase was filmed in one large room in several segments as they would keep running out of space as soon as they moved across the room. So they would rearrange the foliage to look different with each shot and move the rex and the jeep back to the other end of the room to film the next segment of the chase.

I'd happily read about every detail that went into the making of that film.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 11:17 PM   #4343
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Trevorrow couldn't just rest with s###ing on the dinos, he had to s### on all the original cast too before his work was done.

Looks like a terrible Jurrasic Park film, but it looks like a fun JP fan fiction with a 200M dollar budget.

Fallen Kingdom put the franchise beyond saving, so at this point you just throw your arms up and roll with it. I guess at least we're getting dinos in modern movies, even if they look animated and bad.

Nothing will ever beat animatronics and practical effects, and the simplicity of a suspenseful dark hallway or jungle scene.
I agree but without the brief(I think 6 or 7 minutes I think) CGI segments the original JP wouldn't have looked as realistic, the action scenes where T-Rex is chasing the jeep or the Raptors in the kitchen couldn't be pulled off without CGI, you need a blend of both.

I will disagree about this looking like a "terrible Jurassic Park film" though, while no longer ground breaking, in this f****d up world we live in this film will put smiles on a lot of faces and will likely be one of the biggest hits of the year if not THE biggest.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:34 PM   #4344
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I agree but without the brief(I think 6 or 7 minutes I think) CGI segments the original JP wouldn't have looked as realistic, the action scenes where T-Rex is chasing the jeep or the Raptors in the kitchen couldn't be pulled off without CGI, you need a blend of both.

I will disagree about this looking like a "terrible Jurassic Park film" though, while no longer ground breaking, in this f****d up world we live in this film will put smiles on a lot of faces and will likely be one of the biggest hits of the year if not THE biggest.
CG is good within reason, and as you say blended with practical effects. Not everything done lazily in front of green screen.

Oh I think it will be fun. I didn't say that.

But from the context of Jurassic Park and what it intended to be at the outset of the original, this series has completely lost track of where it came from and has blown up into something that's now impossible to feel grounded in any way.

From the trailers you can discern all the kinds of chaos this film will be. Looks like several subplots running parallel taking place in different climates even. Bringing back all the dinosaurs includung dilophosaurus and now adding Gigantosaurus. And all the characters, old and new. How on earth can you fit all that in and make a cohesive story that doesn't spiral into a chaotic mess?

This is Jurassic: Endgame. It's 2 Jurassic 2 Furious.

It will be big and fun but I'm going to approach it as a separate entity to the original movies because this new series lost the spirit of the originals a long time ago.

Still should be a popcorn-munching good time.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 08:59 AM   #4345
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Original JP is just a masterclass is filmmaking. Spielberg at the height of his powers paired with John Williams' incredible score.

So many genius and incredibly simple effects offering the viewer a much more immersive and suspenseful experience. To make a simple plastic cup of water rippling under the immense shockwave of the T Rex making its way towards us, as the viewer we share that feeling of fear and wonder of the magnitude of what's in store for the characters. It's awesome. The respect the main characters give to the Raptors and the T Rex, and the dinosaurs in general is largely missing from the future films. All Chris Pratt has to do to stop the Raptors from attacking is just extend his arms towards them or maybe make a click sound. Sure!

And then to have a T-Rex sneak up on the same people inside a building to end the movie.. but ya anyway, one of the best of all time. And yes KTrain I mean the effects.. but it could compete in all categories for its aging as well. But specifically the effects still look amazing.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:10 PM   #4346
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

But we all can agree that the technology is the one thing that aged horrifically. At least we can chuckle at it now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 04:26 PM   #4347
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Once you've taken the dinosaurs out of the bottle it's hard to put them back in. A lot of what made the original JP great, was the build up and reveal of dinosaurs. You don't get to do that again.

They screwed up the following 2 when they had a chance to introduce new dinosaurs to us in a similar way but made terrible movies. Now we've seen all the dinosaurs (and new genetically designed fake dinosaurs). The new ones just monster movies with lots of destruction, without great stories.
The original was the only one that actually had a good story, IMO, but I'd rank the stories in the first two Jurassic World movies to be ahead of Lost World and III. We went from all these interesting ethical and metaphysical and practical questions to wondering if the world's most annoying couple could rescue their less annoying but still totally forgettable son. At least with the new ones they're playing out interesting if unrealistic ideas.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:48 PM   #4348
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Putting Dinosaurs up for bid in the basement of a mansion is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen put to film.

I'll take a rescue mission on the island over that. Execution of it aside, a simple survival premise beats the hell out of whatever the #### Fallen Kingdom was.

Now dinosaurs roaming free with humans is the one direction we all felt this going eventually and at least seems worth playing out just to see what direction that takes.

The story of World was passable. Kind of a rehash of #1 with the twist of making new dinosaurs and the military angle. But the script of FK was garbage from start to finish. Even if it was entertaining enough in a mindless sense
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 05:39 PM   #4349
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Putting Dinosaurs up for bid in the basement of a mansion is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen put to film.

I'll take a rescue mission on the island over that. Execution of it aside, a simple survival premise beats the hell out of whatever the #### Fallen Kingdom was.

Now dinosaurs roaming free with humans is the one direction we all felt this going eventually and at least seems worth playing out just to see what direction that takes.

The story of World was passable. Kind of a rehash of #1 with the twist of making new dinosaurs and the military angle. But the script of FK was garbage from start to finish. Even if it was entertaining enough in a mindless sense
A big issue for me with FK is that it was a total waste of time, in a trilogy that already feels crammed. They basically burn 1/3 of the trilogy with the stupid haunted house with dinosaurs theme.

Now this final movie looks like a crammed mess. You're trying to tell the story of reviving a disgraced dinosaur park, things running amok, the dinosaurs escaping to the rest of the world, the dinosaurs establishing populations outside the park, and how the world deals with cohabitating with dinosaurs. That's a lot of story to tell. You did not need devout the better part of one of the movies to the adventures of the "Indoraptor". You didn't need to have an indoraptor at all.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:56 PM   #4350
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's exactly it^. It was just a waste of a detour that was totally inconsistent with anything before it. Instead, jumping straight into the dinos roaming free and breeding outside of the park would make sense since that's a huge pivotal development. Devote the better part of the latter two films to exploring the outcome of that.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-11-2022 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 02:18 AM   #4351
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Now this final movie looks like a crammed mess.
Yet you'll watch it, probably twice!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:26 AM   #4352
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Yet you'll watch it, probably twice!
The thing is this is basically the movie that we were all looking forward to, as soon as the Jurassic World concept was released. Everyone wants to see the dinosaurs off the island. Yes, I will likely watch it.

I will wait for reviews to decide if it's more of a netflix watch. Seriously doubt I see it twice.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:07 AM   #4353
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

New David Cronenberg movie:

It looks like a ####ing nightmare, and I am on board.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 07:12 AM   #4354
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 01:13 PM   #4355
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 04-28-2022, 01:57 PM   #4356
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks so ridiculous lol.

The sound effects during the city bike chase were hilarious.

If ever you need to stop a dinosaur from attacking apparently just hold up your hand in a 'stop' gesture. It is prehistorically understood.

If I was Sam Neill I'd knock Trevorrow out where he stood for this circus of a script.

Nevertheless... I will see it.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #4357
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

It gives us what we've wanted to see since they announced this new trilogy, dinosaurs wreaking havoc in cities. Also, the Jeff Goldblum quips seemed to be dialed up to an 11.

Blue had a baby? That's impossible you say? Well, I bet Jeff Goldblum has something to say about that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #4358
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

That looks like the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Looking forward to it.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 08:19 PM   #4359
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that looks to have everything in it that I want. Excellent. Can't wait.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:30 PM   #4360
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even if JW3 sucks, it's going to be amazing
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote